Impact of winter snows on summer conditions in Yosemite?

Old January 19th, 2004, 11:33 PM
SPeacock

Default Impact of winter snows on summer conditions in Yosemite?

By August most of the affect of any substantial snowfall has been removed --
except for perhaps damage due to run off -- bridges, etc. But that is rare in
any year. There may be some snow at high (over 12,000') passes but no blockages.

The major difference you will see by August will be the level of creeks for any
creek crossing. In a dry year the creek will be a simple rock hop. In the same
week following a big snow pack, that same creek crossing will be a wader and
might involve an occasional dunking for those who have a high level of klutz.

The surrounding area is not a lot different - except some of the waterfalls might
actually have something going over the edge and there may be a few missing
flowers. The green of the valleys are mostly affected in September. It gets
brown a bit earlier on a 'dry' winter. Die back is normally caused by colder
temps at night.

"Charles M. Kozierok" wrote:

Hey all..

My wife and I are planning a summer trip to Yosemite, where we plan to
spend some time in the valley but lots of time up in the high Sierra.
I was just wondering if the amount of snow that the area gets in the
winter has a big impact on summer conditions? For example, if there is a
lot of snow, does this mean that the meadows at Tuolumne and so forth
will be more green and alive in August? Or does it not really matter by
that time of year?

I've noticed that it has been quite dry in that area for the last
several weeks and am wondering if that will mean everything will be all
dried out by the time we get there next summer. (Yes, I worry about
everything. )

Curious what y'all think.

peace,

-*-
Charles M. Kozierok )
Author, The TCP/IP Guide - http://www.TCPIPGuide.com
A comprehensive, comprehensible guide to TCP/IP protocols and technologies...