***GGC2004 24 DAYS**** + Clearing the Air

Old January 1st, 2004, 06:48 PM
Jim

Default ***GGC2004 24 DAYS**** + Clearing the Air

Oh, you mean the rumor that YOU started. VBG
Jim

"Karen Segboer" wrote in message
Peter Berlin wrote:

There is too much inflammatory chatter and erroneous
information being spewed on the E-groups/RTC . . .

Maybe *THAT* was the reason for the rumors about the
Code Red alert ;-)

__ /7__/7__/7__
\::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.cupcaked.com/reviews
(...and leave off the "potatoes" to e-mail)

Old January 1st, 2004, 06:51 PM
Gregory C. Read

I think the people who complained about too much GGC chatter, pushed the
discussions away from here, ultimately reducing interest. A "Catch-22", if
you will. I know I followed the original with great interest and then
excitedly went on the GGC2000, which had the most discussion here and the
most participants on the cruise.

--
Greg
lid

"Karen Segboer" wrote in message
I've never been on a GGC and I don't think I ever will (just not
interested), but I think that maybe the initial concept has run it's
course. Remember how excited everyone was for the first one? Even
those staying behind wanted to know how it went.

Karen

Old January 1st, 2004, 06:56 PM
Lloyd Parsons

In article , Tom &
Linda wrote:

"Cruising Chrissy" wrote in message
On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 16:10:00 GMT, Lloyd Parsons
wrote:

What I do know is that there are 2 very good group cruises right now
for January 2005, that are taking reservations from many of the core
constituency of the GGC,....

Which has become part of the problem.

The fact that it HAS become the group cruise of a "GGC core constituency" is
probably also part of the problem. Many of the "Others" who aren't in that
"core constituency" may have little interest in the GGC's... and may have
little interest in talking about it.

--Tom

Would not any GC formed on a regular basis have a core constituency? I
don't see how you can avoid it. Nor should you, IMHO.

I've been on 2 GGC's so far, and each has been different -- I expect
this next one at the end of the month to have its own uniqueness also.
Of course, there will be the 'old home' feel of visiting with friends I
met over that last few years, but there will also be a part that will
be new.

Last year, the single/solo travelers ended up having a group within a
group, that had never happened before. Made it very enjoyable, and
allowed the single/solos to have things to do when the couples wanted
to wander off and do their thing.

This year, there are some new additions to the singles group and I
suspect they will change the dynamic a bit.

If others choose not to participate, then I think that is too bad.
Others could make suggestions that maybe haven't been thought of
before, they could vote on the itinerary/ship selections, they could
communicate with the committee to see if they could influence what the
committee brought to the group to vote on, just a whole lot of things
that could happen.

Or they could just sit there and point out that the 'core' is there or
other reasons why they don't participate and don't want to. All of
that is fine too. The GGC is formed here in RTC, and here it will be
discussed. One of my resolutions is to bring the GGC2005 to the fore
this next year by discussing it here. I would love to hear other
suggestions, ideas, differrent time frames, whatever... That would
make the next GGC better and bring some new excitement to it.

But if you don't vote, communicate or any other thing to try to
influence the choices to be made, then don't complain about how it is
just the 'core' or 'its always a eastern/western or any number of other
reasons you decide not to go.

Personally, I think the GGC allowed me to meet people that I never
would have under other circumstances. I feel enriched by those
relationships.

--
Lloyd

Carnival Tropicale 2000
GGC2002 Carnival Sensation
GGC2003 Golden Princess
GGC2004 Radiance of the Seas
GLC2005 Celebrity Millenium
Old January 1st, 2004, 07:33 PM
Erm3690

So maybe when the committee is formed and plans are discussed a
different way to accomplish the GGC may come out of it.

Since most of the 'core' members have already booked cruises for Jan 05,
maybe the time is right for a GGC Windjammer Cruise later on in 2005.

Sue

I think you're right, Sue. Something different might be fun, especially since
a lot of folks who are being referred to as 'core' members of r.t.c. have
already booked on other group cruises. Many of us would be able to go on
longer cruises, and there are some wonderful repositioning cruises offered in
April and May at fantastic prices. Of course the ones that I have looked at
are for 2004, but I'll bet similar deals will be available in 2005.
I, for one, would welcome another springtime transatlantic with good friends.
The possibilities are good, if folks are not limited to 7 day cruises.

Are there any Windjammer type ships that have elevators? If not, that
would leave us out of that type of cruise. OTOH, maybe Bill would
agree to just send me :-).... Nah, never happen!!!

Ermalee ---just my 2 cents worth

Old January 1st, 2004, 08:20 PM
Sue Keenan

Erm3690 wrote:

[...]

Erm,

Main deck cabins are available on some and possibly even all of the
Windjammer ships.

Sue ---threw away all my cruise brochures
Old January 1st, 2004, 08:34 PM
Cruising Chrissy

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 18:33:10 GMT, Lloyd Parsons
wrote:

So far they've all been Eastern/Western Caribbean, maybe a new location
is in order, or a new port, hell we might even talk about a fall
foilage cruise....

If you start playing around with the E/W formula and the similarities
in the ships (since 2002 all have been 70K plus), you may lose your
core group and if you do, then you run the risk of killing the GCC
concept.

Carnival Tropicale 2000
GGC2002 Carnival Sensation
GGC2003 Golden Princess
GGC2004 Radiance of the Seas
GLC2005 Celebrity Millenium

Why don't you get the core group, offline, to make suggestions and if
there is a consensus, build from that.

I would be surprised if the Windjammer idea goes over.

The Not So Fine Art Of Google
http://makeashorterlink.com/?E29A321E6
Old January 1st, 2004, 08:41 PM
Cruising Chrissy

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 18:43:01 GMT, "Tom & Linda"
wrote:

Many of the "Others" who aren't in that
"core constituency" may have little interest in the GGC's... and may have
little interest in talking about it.

Tom, they have been on E/W Caribbean itineraries forever. Nothing
wrong with that but my guess is its not about the itineraries but
about the group who collects together in the first place.

I'm still to new to cruising to lock up on one geographic spectrum, I
have yet to do the Mexican Riviera, Hawaii, Alaska, Med, dozens of
others. Maybe when Hubby and I have seen the world on our terms, we
will be ready to "group cruise".

the other problem is that Berlin perpetuates and encourages, whether
he means to or not, TA advertising on RTC. We got another newcomer
yesterday playing hide the weenie with his TAgency in the guise of an
"informational website".

Imagine what this place wold be like if we had 10 Ray Googlebergs
fighting for Usenet space to tell us about how long Johnny Rocket's
hot dog is.

Old January 1st, 2004, 08:49 PM
Cruising Chrissy

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 18:56:19 GMT, Lloyd Parsons
wrote:

Would not any GC formed on a regular basis have a core constituency?

Nope. If you varied the itinerary enough, it would attract mucho
different people. Throw in SE Asia and see how many of the E/W
Caribbean core cruisers want to go.

don't see how you can avoid it. Nor should you, IMHO.

There's the gist of it. GCC is about creating a homogeneous core that
uses RTC as its public board for discussions and advertising.

Fine unless we end up with 5 or ten GCC types.

Last year, the single/solo travelers ended up having a group within a
group, that had never happened before. Made it very enjoyable, and
allowed the single/solos to have things to do when the couples wanted
to wander off and do their thing.

Intergroupings are a necessary part.

If others choose not to participate, then I think that is too bad.
Others could make suggestions that maybe haven't been thought of
before, they could vote on the itinerary/ship selections, they could
communicate with the committee to see if they could influence what the
committee brought to the group to vote on, just a whole lot of things
that could happen.

Participation like this will be limited by the nature of GCC which is
perceived as a semi-closed group.

But if you don't vote, communicate or any other thing to try to
influence the choices to be made, then don't complain about how it is
just the 'core' or 'its always a eastern/western or any number of other
reasons you decide not to go.

There is nothing that says in order to complain about Berlin, GCC
postings or the GCC core groupings one has to participate in GCC
affairs. That's ludicrous.

Personally, I think the GGC allowed me to meet people that I never
would have under other circumstances. I feel enriched by those
relationships.

Good. Enjoy yourself.

Old January 1st, 2004, 10:07 PM
Jean O'Boyle

"Tom & Linda" wrote in message
et...
The fact that it HAS become the group cruise of a "GGC core constituency"

is
probably also part of the problem. Many of the "Others" who aren't in

that
"core constituency" may have little interest in the GGC's... and may have
little interest in talking about it.

Tom, how about our SGC group that went on the Bermuda cruise last year? I
think each group has participants who cruise again because they would like
to see some of the people that they cruised with previously and enjoyed
being with. It is sort of like a *reunion.* After having cruised previously
with some people, you feel more relaxed and have even a better time the next
time that you get together. There are some that I am looking forward to
being with the second time on my first GGC this January and there are others
that I am really looking forward to meeting for the first time, from whom
I've gotten private e-mails saying the very same thing. The only groups that
I have attended were MGC 2002 and SGC 2003. But I would love to see some of
the people that I met on both those cruises again.

--Jean,~~~hoping everyone had a happy and healthy New Year's Eve and glad we
stayed at Alert Orange without a single arrest in New York!

Old January 1st, 2004, 10:25 PM
Lloyd Parsons

wrote:

Would not any GC formed on a regular basis have a core constituency?

Nope. If you varied the itinerary enough, it would attract mucho
different people. Throw in SE Asia and see how many of the E/W
Caribbean core cruisers want to go.

And if you did that, the GGC would die very quickly. It is the core of
any group which keeps it going, as well as the infusion of new people.

don't see how you can avoid it. Nor should you, IMHO.

There's the gist of it. GCC is about creating a homogeneous core that
uses RTC as its public board for discussions and advertising.

Fine unless we end up with 5 or ten GCC types.

Uh, we have a few right now although they are formed slightly different.

Last year, the single/solo travelers ended up having a group within a
group, that had never happened before. Made it very enjoyable, and
allowed the single/solos to have things to do when the couples wanted
to wander off and do their thing.

Intergroupings are a necessary part.

If others choose not to participate, then I think that is too bad.
Others could make suggestions that maybe haven't been thought of
before, they could vote on the itinerary/ship selections, they could
communicate with the committee to see if they could influence what the
committee brought to the group to vote on, just a whole lot of things
that could happen.

Participation like this will be limited by the nature of GCC which is
perceived as a semi-closed group.

But that is the point of my posting, it isn't a semi-closed group, it
is an open one. I should know, I didn't join in until the 2002 sailing
and was welcomed with open arms. Others have been also.

But if too many here treat it as a semi-closed group, then it becomes
one because of other participation.

But if you don't vote, communicate or any other thing to try to
influence the choices to be made, then don't complain about how it is
just the 'core' or 'its always a eastern/western or any number of other
reasons you decide not to go.

There is nothing that says in order to complain about Berlin, GCC
postings or the GCC core groupings one has to participate in GCC
affairs. That's ludicrous.

I know, there is never anything to keep you and whoever else from
saying whatever they want. Its unmoderated, I'm only telling it like
it is... Or whatever other little piddling excuse you use to ramble
on.

But in my not humble opinion, it is just like an election. If you
don't vote, don't bitch. If you are not participating in the GGC or
its formation each year, then why should you give a rats butt what is
happening, or what is talked about concerning the GGC?

The answer is that you shouldn't and probably don't, but will yammer on
anyway!

Personally, I think the GGC allowed me to meet people that I never
would have under other circumstances. I feel enriched by those
relationships.

Good. Enjoy yourself.

Thanks, I will. Of course, I always enjoy a vacation no matter what
happens on it. I have consistently said that the only way to have a
bad cruise, is don't go. I'll stick with that.

Lloyd