Brisbane to Sydney by train

Old July 16th, 2005, 06:10 AM
David Bennetts

"MathDude" wrote in message
. ..
On 2005-07-14, Mary Pegg wrote:
Thinking of doing this next month. Anyone done it?
Day trip or overnight more interesting? How expensive
is the food and drink on board?

Train travel leaves much to be desired....slow, bad food....

It's all relative - slow compared with what? Plane yes, bus (Greyhound) is
longer. More comfortable than a bus, at least you can get up and stretch
your legs, get a snack or cup of coffee. Bad food? Not gourmet standard
but fair for price.

Regards

David Bennetts

Old July 19th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Mary Pegg

. ..
On 2005-07-14, Mary Pegg wrote:
Thinking of doing this next month. Anyone done it?
Day trip or overnight more interesting? How expensive
is the food and drink on board?

Train travel leaves much to be desired....slow, bad food....

It's all relative - slow compared with what? Plane yes, bus (Greyhound)

Slow is good. Might get to see some of the countryside.

--
"I was nauseous and tingly all over.
I was either in love or I had smallpox."
Old July 19th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Jason

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 15:10:19 +1000, David Bennetts wrote:

It's all relative - slow compared with what? Plane yes, bus (Greyhound)
is longer. More comfortable than a bus, at least you can get up and

Just had a look at the timetables and it seems to be a whole hour quicker
by train than bus, assuming it's on time. The only time I caught it, it
was late on every single leg.

stretch your legs, get a snack or cup of coffee. Bad food? Not gourmet
standard but fair for price.

I thought the food wasn't bad, better than I expected TBH and better than
some of the road houses that the bus stops at.

Jason

--
http://www.scuba-addict.co.uk/boatspaces/ for UK dive spaces

Old July 20th, 2005, 01:49 AM
Mary Pegg

Jason wrote:

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 15:10:19 +1000, David Bennetts wrote:

It's all relative - slow compared with what? Plane yes, bus (Greyhound)
is longer. More comfortable than a bus, at least you can get up and

Just had a look at the timetables and it seems to be a whole hour quicker
by train than bus, assuming it's on time. The only time I caught it, it
was late on every single leg.

Having done long-distance train and bus in the US I reckon train is far
more comfortable. And interesting, if your fellow travelers in the
dining car are good company.

stretch your legs, get a snack or cup of coffee. Bad food? Not gourmet
standard but fair for price.

I thought the food wasn't bad, better than I expected TBH and better than
some of the road houses that the bus stops at.

So the only thing that could swing it towards the bus is the view.

Here's a description of the train journey: sounds okay to me.
http://www.tomw.net.au/travel/xpt/

Old July 20th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Michael Conzo

"Jason" wrote:

Just had a look at the timetables and it seems to be a whole hour quicker
by train than bus, assuming it's on time. The only time I caught it, it
was late on every single leg.

Long-distance trains are usually late, due to priorty given to freighters.

I train from Qld to Sydney often (I'm not comfortable flying) and I find the
NSW trains very relaxing.

Old July 20th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Mary Pegg

Michael Conzo wrote:

Long-distance trains are usually late, due to priorty given to freighters.

Weird.

Now I'm thinking of making a nightstop (or two) en route - what do you
experts recommend?

Old July 20th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Geoff Lillico

Coffs Harbour, Nambucca Heads or Sawtell could be worth 24 hours

--
The Commissioner

www.the-commissioner.com

Old July 21st, 2005, 02:33 AM
A Mate

Nothing weird about priority to freight trains. Every passenger service in
the country is a major loss operation. Profit lies in freight services!!

Old July 21st, 2005, 02:35 AM
Alan S

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 17:17:07 GMT, Mary Pegg
wrote:

Now I'm thinking of making a nightstop (or two) en route - what do you
experts recommend?

Lots of nice towns on that route. What are your interests?
beaches, small towns, big towns, up in the hills, down by
the rivers, sights, activities??

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old July 21st, 2005, 03:25 AM
Dave Proctor

wrote:

Michael Conzo wrote:

Long-distance trains are usually late, due to priorty given to freighters.

Weird.

Now I'm thinking of making a nightstop (or two) en route - what do you
experts recommend?

Brillian idea - how about Coffs Harbour? There are three trains per
day between Coffs Harbour and Sydney, with the 7.41am departure
getting you into Sydney at a reasonable hour, as well as undertaking
the spectacular Hawkesbury River stretch during daylight hours. Coffs
would certainly be worth spending a night or two in.

Dave

=====

There are 10 types of people - those who understand binary, and those who don't.