Anyone Have Any Good Suggestions for a South American Cruise (revisited)

Old May 1st, 2004, 04:32 PM
Brahmama

Default Anyone Have Any Good Suggestions for a South American Cruise (revisited)

I tried to reply to this one but it was too old, so I'm trying to cut
and paste it here. Hope it works.

I would love to get in touch with the man that did the South American
Celebrity cruise.

Or anyone who is thinking about doing one Jan 2005.

This is brand new territory for me and I have a

Thanks. *bunch* of questions.
**

All messages from thread "Anyone have any good recommendation for a
South Amer..."**
Message 1 in threadFrom: Mike )
Subject: Anyone have any good recommendation for a South American
Cruise *
View this article onlyNewsgroups: rec.travel.cruises
Date: 2004-03-25 18:19:24 PST

We are looking to go over christmas and new years this coming
december.

We know of the NCL cruise that goes from Valparaiso, Chile to Buenos
Aires.

If anyone has taken one of these cruises I would be very interested in
your
thoughts.

Thanks.
Message 2 in threadFrom: nan )
Date: 2004-03-26 02:55:07 PST

We did this cruise on Royal Princess several years ago--Rough seas
from falklands to cape--0very rough.Try Princess--they do better job.
Message 3 in threadFrom: Jim )
Date: 2004-03-26 08:08:53 PST

Mike,
I have a friend who just returned from a Celebrity cruise that went
from
Buenos Aires to Valparaiso. I forwarded your post to him. He said he
tried
to reply to you personally, but his message came back as
"Undeliverable". I
have copied his message below.
---------------
Hello Mike,
A friend forwarded your request for information.

My wife and I just did that cruise on Celebrity. Only we went from
Buenos
Aires to Valparaiso. Great trip and both countries were very
friendly.
Very impressed with Punta Arenas, Chile and Ushuaya, Argentina. Cape
Horn
was very foggy, but to see where the Atlantic and Pacific came
together was
a sight. Water was choppy and winds were 50 knots.

When you fly into Santiago, Chile you shouldn't have any problems
because
you're leaving by ship. Immigration tried to hit us with $100 exit
fee.

It will be summer there, but you can get the weather off the net.

Enjoy the cruise. Any questions...ask and I'll try and answer.
---------------

"Mike" wrote in message
We are looking to go over christmas and new years this coming december.

We know of the NCL cruise that goes from Valparaiso, Chile to Buenos Aires.

If anyone has taken one of these cruises I would be very interested in your
thoughts.

Thanks.

Message 4 in threadFrom: Mike )
Date: 2004-03-26 09:37:43 PST

Thank you for getting back to me - I use that yahoo mailbox and forgot
clear it out of junk mail.

My main concern and my wife's was going around the cape and just how
rough
it was - but it sounds like the overall trip is well worth the
possible
rough seas.

Last year we did China and Alaska - this winter I'm looking for a nice
adventure and thought this would be interesting and fun - sounds like
it
will be - thanks for the input!

Mike

"Mike" wrote in message
We are looking to go over christmas and new years this coming december.

We know of the NCL cruise that goes from Valparaiso, Chile to Buenos Aires.

If anyone has taken one of these cruises I would be very interested in your
thoughts.

Thanks.

Message 5 in threadFrom: David Seifert )
Date: 2004-03-26 09:16:09 PST

"Mike" wrote in message ...
We are looking to go over christmas and new years this coming december.
We know of the NCL cruise that goes from Valparaiso, Chile to Buenos Aires.
If anyone has taken one of these cruises I would be very interested in your
thoughts.

Thanks.

I did the HAL Noordam version of this itinerary (Valparaiso - Rio) in
2000. Fantastic! I was a habitual Princess cruiser but I would
recommend HAL for this itinerary. The lectures were the best I have
ever seen aboard a ship. Not a word about shopping, everything about
history, culture, wildlife etc.

Yes the seas can be rough rounding the Cape and transiting to the
Falklands but this is adventure cruising.

David
**
Old May 1st, 2004, 05:31 PM
JoyceR

HI there,

I'm doing Rio to Valparaiso on the Amsterdam on Dec. 15th, 2004. Its 21
days over Christmas and New Year's. My ex husband did it last year, on
the same ship, and loved every minute of it.

0 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
1 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
2 Cruising the Atlantic Ocean
3 At Sea
4 Montevideo, Uruguay
5 Buenos Aires, Argentina
6 Cruising the Atlantic Ocean
7 At Sea
8 Scenic cruising Falkland Sound
9 Scenic cruising Elephant/Paulet/Deception Islands
10 Esperanza Station
11 Palmer Station, Anvers Island, Antarctica
12 Neumayer Channel, Lemaire Channel, Petermann Island
13 Scenic cruising Cape Horn
14 Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego, Argentina
14 Daylight passing Romanche Glaciers
14 Scenic cruising Beagle Channel
15 Punta Arenas, Chile
15 Scenic cruising Strait of Magellan
16 Circling scenic Isla Angle, Isla Saumarez, Seno Eyre Fjord, &
Pius Glacier
17 Scenic cruising Darwin Channel and Chilean Fjords
18 Puerto Chacabuco, Chile
18 Scenic cruising Chilean Fjords
19 Puerto Montt, Chile
20 Cruising the Pacific Ocean
21 Valparaiso, Chile

I'm flying out the night before and and staying at the Sheraton.

Let me know if I can answer any questions for you.

Joyce

Date: 2004-03-26 09:16:09 PST

"Mike" wrote in message ...

We are looking to go over christmas and new years this coming december.
We know of the NCL cruise that goes from Valparaiso, Chile to Buenos Aires.
If anyone has taken one of these cruises I would be very interested in your
thoughts.

Thanks.

I did the HAL Noordam version of this itinerary (Valparaiso - Rio) in
2000. Fantastic! I was a habitual Princess cruiser but I would
recommend HAL for this itinerary. The lectures were the best I have
ever seen aboard a ship. Not a word about shopping, everything about
history, culture, wildlife etc.

Yes the seas can be rough rounding the Cape and transiting to the
Falklands but this is adventure cruising.

David

"We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are." - The Talmud
"People demand the freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of
thought which
they avoid" - Kierkegaard
"Software without support is hardware" - JR/1999

Old May 2nd, 2004, 04:11 AM
Brahmama

Hi Joyce,

What a trip! Sounds like you will have a Merry Christmas.

Well, I'll start with 1 questions - are you staying in Valparaiso
after the cruise? We start out from there and I'd like to find a hotel
that someone recommends - We're doing a deviation both ways and can't
use the ship's transfers.

Brahmama wrote:
I tried to reply to this one but it was too old, so I'm trying to cut
and paste it here. Hope it works.

I would love to get in touch with the man that did the South American
Celebrity cruise.

Or anyone who is thinking about doing one Jan 2005.

This is brand new territory for me and I have a

Thanks. *bunch* of questions.

snip
Old May 2nd, 2004, 04:32 AM
JoyceR

Hi there,

Nope, not staying in Valparaiso. Going straight home and (UGH) back to
work. We are using ship's transfers from the airport to the hotel and
then to the ship in Rio.

I'll check with my TA on Monday and see if she has any suggestions and
get back to you on it.

Joyce

Old May 2nd, 2004, 04:43 AM
clint

Any of you folks like to "swing?" The cow and will join you on any
cruise((you buy the drinks!) haha
om...

Old May 2nd, 2004, 02:24 PM
Brahmama

Joyce,
Have you been to SA before? Do you have tours booked with the ship or
with other tour guides?

The pengunis! I'm really wanting to see penguins. Have you heard which
tour or location is the best for jan?

21 days of cruising sounds like heaven! We've never done more than 15
on one ship..

Old May 2nd, 2004, 03:53 PM
JoyceR

I've been to Rio before. Sailed in on Rotterdam V in 1996.

Took the ship's tour to Iguazu Falls. That was spectacular. Would do it
again in a heartbeat. Stayed 2 nights at the hotel that overlooks the
falls. Took a helicopter ride over the area and a bus tour that took us
into Uruguay and Argentina. Its said that when Eleanor Roosevelt first
saw Iguazu her comment was 'Poor Niagra'.

I met new friends aboard the ship and we arranged our own tour of Rio
and environs. The views from Corcavado and Sugar Loaf are unforgettable.

As for the tours for my cruise in December, I haven't made up my mind
which ones I'm going to take but you can be sure penguin rookeries are
at the top of the list. Those guys are always ready for formal nights. ;-)

With Holland America, I can book my tours on-line starting 60 days out.
I'll download the brochure and start my adrenaline flowing about a week
before the 60 day mark.

Joyce

Old May 3rd, 2004, 02:19 AM
Robert Nabors

Click the URL below for our next visit to South America by cruise ship.

http://www.orientlines.com/destinati...ca/ant_ama.htm

We have previously cruised with the Marco Polo in the China Sea.

We have visited Montevideo, BA, and several other countries of SA several
times by air.

Click the following URL for our report on Machu Picchu.

http://www1.hagenhosting.com/~nabors...cchuindex.html

om...