Who wants to help writing a travel guidebooks?

Old September 25th, 2007, 09:30 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Ferdinand

Default Who wants to help writing a travel guidebooks?

Hi,

With some friends I started a project to make far better printed
travel guidebooks than available today. Firstly, they should be much
more up-to-date and more tailor-made. Secondly, all the people who
help writing them should get much more credits for it than they get
right now when they send feedback to an existing travel guide.

Do you want to help writing these travel guidebooks? Have a look at
the project site www.writingtravellers.com . You can edit whatever you
want! As you will see, a lot of the world is still in a stubb. So
maybe you can help the community with some pictures and information
about this beautiful planet!

Thanks Ferdinand

Old September 25th, 2007, 02:40 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
kangaroo16

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 08:30:47 -0000, Ferdinand
wrote in
. com :

Hi,

With some friends I started a project to make far better printed
travel guidebooks than available today. Firstly, they should be much
more up-to-date and more tailor-made.

Sounds like a very difficult project to me. Firstly, the world
has a lot of countries, and people might choose any of them.

Secondly, what is your target reader? Someone who wants to
travel "on the cheap"? A more conventional tourist? Someone who
is traveling with a tour group?

Secondly, all the people who
help writing them should get much more credits for it than they get
right now when they send feedback to an existing travel guide.

This could also be difficult. How would you know if they were
offering "personal experience" as opposed to using copyrighted
material?

Laws vary from country to country. Technically & legally
speaking even quoting from this post is a violation of copyright
whether I bother to claim copyright formally.

Do you want to help writing these travel guidebooks?

No, have never been motivated to write one.:-)

A large number are already in print, and most travelers could
access the information on the net anyway.

I don't know the situation in the US, as haven't been there for
decades. Here, though, most public libraries, even in small
towns, provide free Internet access. So why bother to buy or
carry a book?

Have a look at
the project site www.writingtravellers.com . You can edit whatever you
want! As you will see, a lot of the world is still in a stubb. So
maybe you can help the community with some pictures and information
about this beautiful planet!

O.K, might have a look at it, even though it is a commercial
site.

Still think the idea would have worked better 25 years ago,
though!

Thanks Ferdinand,

Cheers,
kangaroo16
Old September 25th, 2007, 04:39 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
kangaroo16

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 08:30:47 -0000, Ferdinand
wrote in
. com :

Hi,

With some friends I started a project to make far better printed
travel guidebooks than available today. Firstly, they should be much
more up-to-date and more tailor-made. Secondly, all the people who
help writing them should get much more credits for it than they get
right now when they send feedback to an existing travel guide.

Do you want to help writing these travel guidebooks? Have a look at
the project site www.writingtravellers.com

Had a quick look at it. Your world map blocks out most of the
requested field.

I could see that the site requires a "password" though... so I
didn't bother to read any further.

On the grounds that if you want any info from me, why do you
require a "password"?

A definite and immediate "turnoff" to me.

Why should I have to provide a "password" on any site?

Today it is Wednesday, 26 Sept. 12:23 AM, or 0023 hrs.

Suppose you could offer me detailed info on daily news, stock
market info, currency exchange rates, who will win the election,
etc. for every day up to 26 Oct?

Even if no charge for it, I wouldn't be willing to sign in with a
"password"!

Obviously this would be extremely valuable information, but II
doubt that you or your friends could provide it.

If they could, they could make a lot of money without bothering
to post on this newsgroup.

Yet you and your friends aren't even offering anything like a
preview into the next four weeks.

As far as I can see, you aren't offering _anything_ that I, or
most other people would want.

....Yet you and/or your group demand a "password"? :-) You are
joking, yes?

I believe that there is a Jewish, or Yiddish, word for this:
_Chutzpah_ from memory.

Arrogance, roughly. But for a more precise definition, one who
murders his parents, is caught and charged, then petitions the
court for clemency on the grounds that he is an orphan. :-)

Just what do you and your friends hope to gain from this group?

Cheers,
kangaroo16

Cheers,
Kangaroo16

Cheers,
kangaroo16

Old September 26th, 2007, 06:19 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Ferdinand

I could see that the site requires a "password" though... so I
didn't bother to read any further.

Hi kangaroo16,

You seem to be pretty upset about passwords :-)

But I am afraid you judged to fast. In order to use this site you do
not need to give a password. You can have a look around and edit or
add information without any password. The only moment you need to have
a password is if you want your name mentioned next to the texts you
worked on. So please feel free to add or edit something anonymously.

Old September 26th, 2007, 08:39 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
kangaroo16

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 05:19:27 -0000, Ferdinand
wrote in
. com :

I could see that the site requires a "password" though... so I
didn't bother to read any further.

Hi kangaroo16,

You seem to be pretty upset about passwords :-)

Nope, not at all. I just don't like my privacy invaded, and
strongly resist any attempt to do so.

I could conceivably meet you on the street in Australia and
cheerfully talk to you for a couple of hours on various
subjects.

However, if you were to pry into my personal life, wanting to
know my name, address, marital status, whether I had children, my
job, the name of my cat, or other personal information I would
probably walk away from you.

Not that any of these are any particular secret, but I would
resent you trying to pry.

Perhaps this comes from dealing with American tourists, who seem
to not only request but demand personal info.

In the UK, people seem to be evaluated on their social standing,
such as what schools they have attended. In the U.S., their
net financial worth.

In Australia, people aren't so "nosy". In more remote areas,
where I have lived and worked, Australians often don't even
offer their surname, let alone their given name. It is
considered impolite to even ask.

But I am afraid you judged to fast. In order to use this site you do
not need to give a password. You can have a look around and edit or
add information without any password.

Then why does the site ask for one?

The only moment you need to have
a password is if you want your name mentioned next to the texts you
worked on.

Even if you are correct, and you may be, why would I want to do
this?

I've been on the net for many years, and have found from bitter
experience that even if I provide an email address, without
offering my actual name, my inbox is deluged with posts trying
to sell me something.

Why should I put up with this? Why should I have trawl through
my email and delete 98 percent of it?

Why should I even want my phone number in a phone directory?

If someone knows me, they know my silent, or unlisted, number. If
someone doesn't, why should I want to talk to them?

So please feel free to add or edit something anonymously.

Why? ... Since it wouldn't be anonymous anyway?

Why should any site ask me to provide any details whatsoever?

I like to follow world news, and there are a lot of news sites
which require "registration". Why? ...Obviously to try to sell
me something!

I don't mind, but I refuse to comply with their request. There
are plenty of others that don't require any form of registration
and can be accessed by anyone.

Put it this way, if I were to meet you on the street, we might
discuss many subjects in detail.

However, if you were to push me for my name, address, social
security number, the name of my wife, the name of our cat, or
attempt to find out my occupation, or the name of our nonexistent
children, I would terminate the conversation and walk away.

Simply none of your business.

I apply the same criteria to the net. Why should I be required
to offer any information whatsoever to any possible source of
info?

Most sources don't require information, so why should I provide
personal information to the minority who do?

Sorry, but even if was posting on a "end of the world" group and
it suddenly wanted personal information, I would simply drop it.
If you want me, or people like me, to post on a group that
requires any sort of "registration" for any reason, overt or
covert, then, IMHO, the "registration" requirement should be
dropped.

In Australia, if I were to happen to see a major news event, such
as an airliner crash, I could report it without having to provide
any identification whatsoever, as far as I know.

If the newspaper, or radio station, or television station dared
to ask my name or location, I would simply terminate the
conversation.

Perhaps I would take some photos and offer them to their
competition, though.

One that was less "nosy"!...........

Cheers,
Kangaroo16