body scanners in European airports

Old August 8th, 2011, 10:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default body scanners in European airports

My plans were to visit Europe again in October, but it has come to my
attention that the use of those body scanners has become common since
the attempted bombing of that flight to Detroit last Christmas 2009.
My last flight was prior to that.

So I called the Athens airport and spoke to their security people who
said that they had the scanners and their use was required, and
furthermore that this was to be found in the other airports in Europe.

This sounds incredible but it is plausible. Can anyone confirm this at
your local big airport? My googling only turned up EU regular that
"permitted" the scanners and a lot of talk of health issues. But that
is all.

--
Dan Stephenson
http://web.mac.com/stepheda

Old August 8th, 2011, 11:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 8/8/2011 5:56 PM, Dan Stephenson wrote:
My plans were to visit Europe again in October, but it has come to my
attention that the use of those body scanners has become common since
the attempted bombing of that flight to Detroit last Christmas 2009. My
last flight was prior to that.

So I called the Athens airport and spoke to their security people who
said that they had the scanners and their use was required, and
furthermore that this was to be found in the other airports in Europe.

This sounds incredible but it is plausible. Can anyone confirm this at
your local big airport? My googling only turned up EU regular that
"permitted" the scanners and a lot of talk of health issues. But that is
all.

I know they have those scanners at Heathrow, but I haven't yet been
subjected to them. My last Heathrow trip was just a few days ago.
Old August 9th, 2011, 01:23 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake[_2_]

On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 16:56:10 -0500, Dan Stephenson
wrote:

My plans were to visit Europe again in October, but it has come to my
attention that the use of those body scanners has become common since
the attempted bombing of that flight to Detroit last Christmas 2009.
My last flight was prior to that.

So I called the Athens airport and spoke to their security people who
said that they had the scanners and their use was required, and
furthermore that this was to be found in the other airports in Europe.

This sounds incredible but it is plausible. Can anyone confirm this at
your local big airport? My googling only turned up EU regular that
"permitted" the scanners and a lot of talk of health issues. But that
is all.

I can't speak about all of Europe, but I flew out of Athens a couple
of months ago. I didn't go through a body scanner.

But if I had had to, I wouldn't have worried a whole lot about it.

--
Ken Blake
Old August 9th, 2011, 02:05 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2011-08-08 17:11:11 -0500, S Viemeister said:

[...]

Right. Could you tell how they selected who should get scanned? I've
read that if you refuse the scan, there is no pat-down option.

Old August 9th, 2011, 02:06 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2011-08-08 19:23:58 -0500, Ken Blake said:

I can't speak about all of Europe, but I flew out of Athens a couple
of months ago. I didn't go through a body scanner.

I should phone back. Perhaps they thought I mean the metal detector.

Did you see body scanners there, and if so, could you tell how they
selected people to use them?

Old August 9th, 2011, 06:53 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"Dan Stephenson" wrote in message
My plans were to visit Europe again in October, but it has come to my
attention that the use of those body scanners has become common since the
attempted bombing of that flight to Detroit last Christmas 2009. My last
flight was prior to that.

So I called the Athens airport and spoke to their security people who said
that they had the scanners and their use was required, and furthermore
that this was to be found in the other airports in Europe.

This sounds incredible but it is plausible. Can anyone confirm this at
your local big airport? My googling only turned up EU regular that
"permitted" the scanners and a lot of talk of health issues. But that is
all.

--
Dan Stephenson
http://web.mac.com/stepheda
Travel pages for Europe and the U.S.A. (and New Zealand too)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-flights.html

But bear in mind that the Daily Mail loves to make a drama and a crisis out
of everything.

Old August 9th, 2011, 08:14 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Johannes Kleese

Dan Stephenson wrote:
So I called the Athens airport and spoke to their security people who
said that they had the scanners and their use was required, and
furthermore that this was to be found in the other airports in Europe.

A field test with voluntary checks of some 793000 passengers using
"naked scanners" in Hamburg, Germany, has just ended. The result, though
not officially reported yet, seems to be simply that the devices are
still expensive crap, at least those by L3.

The first software version showed the persons sort of naked, which is
not acceptable and was other than promised by L3. Next software version
showed only a symbol, but the alarms were anything but helpful. Too much
wardrobe, even long boots: Alarm. Passenger slightly moving: Alarm.
Two out of three scanned passengers had to be checked by hand, half of
those more than once (and nothing found, of course). L3 was not able to
deliver better software.

So, for the time being, no body scanners in Germany.
Old August 9th, 2011, 08:17 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

On 08/08/2011 11:56 PM, Dan Stephenson wrote:
My plans were to visit Europe again in October, but it has come to my
attention that the use of those body scanners has become common since
the attempted bombing of that flight to Detroit last Christmas 2009. My
last flight was prior to that.

So I called the Athens airport and spoke to their security people who
said that they had the scanners and their use was required, and
furthermore that this was to be found in the other airports in Europe.

This sounds incredible but it is plausible. Can anyone confirm this at
your local big airport? My googling only turned up EU regular that
"permitted" the scanners and a lot of talk of health issues. But that is
all.

There was something in the news here the other day about the scanners on
trial at Hamburg airport proving to be useless - much too slow, and with
a 35% to 70% false alarm rate, depending on which press story you
believe - ah, just found some references:
http://www.whec.com/news/stories/s2225742.shtml?cat=566

or google bodyscanner+false+alarms

It appears that the German authorities have decided to discontinue their
use, at least of the make of scanner they tested, so hopefully the
taxpayers will get their money back for these expensive piles of useless
junk.
Old August 9th, 2011, 09:12 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

wrote:
This sounds incredible but it is plausible. Can anyone confirm

this at
your local big airport? My googling only turned up EU regular that
"permitted" the scanners and a lot of talk of health issues. But

that
is all.

For what it's worth I have yet to see one of those scanners. This
year I've flown out of Munich, Copenhagen, Billund and Rome (can't
remember the name).
Old August 9th, 2011, 10:06 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Dan Stephenson wrote:

My plans were to visit Europe again in October, but it has come to my
attention that the use of those body scanners has become common since
the attempted bombing of that flight to Detroit last Christmas 2009.
My last flight was prior to that.

So I called the Athens airport and spoke to their security people who
said that they had the scanners and their use was required, and
furthermore that this was to be found in the other airports in Europe.

This sounds incredible but it is plausible.

They are being rolled out in European airports just as they are at US
aiports. It will be quite a while before they are everywhere, if ever.

Can anyone confirm this at
your local big airport?

They are used at Manchester, my local. I forget if every terminal uses
them.

My googling only turned up EU regular that
"permitted" the scanners and a lot of talk of health issues. But that
is all.

There is nothing to worry about IMO.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)