Large Groups From China!

Old September 12th, 2003, 01:35 PM
Ray Goldenberg

Default Large Groups From China!

Hi Everyone,

I received this press release from Star Cruises and thought it would
be of interest. If you have missed any of my news' postings, they are
available on my web site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

12th September 2003

LARGE INCENTIVE GROUPS FROM CHINA SAIL ON SUPERSTAR VIRGO AND
SUPERSTAR LEO

Star Cruises' megaships SuperStar Virgo and SuperStar Leo were the
venue of choice for about 1,600 Chinese incentive guests over a period
of a week.

About 1000 guests from the largest insurance group in China, China
Life Insurance sailed on SuperStar Virgo on a 4 day/3 night cruise
from Singapore to Langkawi, Malaysia and Phuket in Thailand.

The cruise was made even more special as this was the largest group
from a single Chinese company to visit Singapore in recent months. The
group was also accorded a special welcome in Singapore and in Malaysia
during the cruise.

"The Lido onboard Star Cruises SuperStar Virgo is well equipped and
can accommodate hundreds of people for conferencing and seminars. We
are very impressed and satisfied with the ship’s comprehensive and
efficient services. The 4day/3 night cruise was successful in
achieving both our business and social objectives" said a
representative from the China Life Group.

On a similar note, more than 600 members of the Konka Group Co Ltd,a
manufacturer of electrical appliances in China embarked SuperStar Leo
from Hong Kong on a weekend cruise with a program itinerary that
combined a business agenda with an exciting onboard activity schedule.

"We are extremely pleased with our marketing efforts in China targeted
at this niche segment promoting incentive cruises as more companies
see our cruise ships as being suitable venues for holding company
corporate events. This also augurs well for other potential incentive
groups in terms of our ability to successfully accommodate and manage
groups of that size" said Mr Chong Chee Tut, Chief Operating Officer,
Star Cruises.

Star Cruises has also previously accommodated large meetings and
incentive groups from India and Thailand onboard its ships.

ABOUT STAR CRUISES
Star Cruises, the third largest cruise line in the world is a global
cruise brand presently operating a combined fleet of 20 ships with
over 26,000 lower berths, with cruises to destinations and islands in
Asia-Pacific, North and South America, Hawaii, Caribbean, Alaska,
Europe, Mediterranean, Bermuda and the Antarctica under the Star
Cruises, Norwegian Cruise Line, Orient Lines & Cruise Ferries brands.

The Pride of America - the first of the two Project America vessels -
is presently under completion at the Lloyd Werft shipyard in Germany.
The 81,000-grt and 2,100 lower berth vessel is expected to commence
Hawaii inter-island cruising next year with a "Best of America" theme.
The second Project America vessel, which is currently sailing as
Norwegian Sky will be renamed Pride of Aloha and will reflect a strong
Hawaiian theme which will be accomplished after a refurbishment in
September 2004. Both ships will sail under NCL's new US-flag brand -
NCL America (sm).

Star Cruises is represented in more than 20 locations worldwide with
offices in Australia, New Zealand, China, Germany, Hong Kong, India,
Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Norway, Philippines, Singapore,
Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, United Kingdom and the United
States of America.

For more information on Star Cruises and NCL, please contact your
travel professional.
Old September 30th, 2003, 12:29 PM
Owenreagh

Regarding the activities of big groups on cruises

I was on this particular cruise (my honeymoon), and whilst the ship
was wonderful as were the staff and facilities, I did not enjoy
sharing it with the 1000 strong China Life group

The ship caters for 2000 guests, however even with the large group,
the ship was far from at full capacity. The remaining 150 (approx)
non-China Life guests were often stampeded.

At one stop in Phuket, All returning guests were leisurely and
respectfully reboarding, when the China Life group turned up at the
port. All queuing / politeness / respect went out the window with the
security on the gang plank literally being charged and thrown off the
pathway.

During queuing in the Mediterranean restaurant, they queue jumped and
reached over you for food - very uncouth.

Despite the Star literature stating that Lido theatre catered for all
on board, The China life group did not take part in any on board
entertainment, leaving the 1000+ theatre with 100 - 150 customers
which must have been disheartening for the entertainments staff who
were giving their best.

The pool deck was similarly devoid of people - except a dozen or two
Europeans and Australians
The Disco was completely empty for the entire duration of the cruise
and the Galaxy of the stars faired little better.

At times it was a bit of a ghost ship

I continued on the Cruise for a further 2 days after the China Life
Group disembarked - then I enjoyed it, people came out of their cabins
the theatre was full and the bars were busy.

Just as a bit of guidance for anyone contemplating cruising with Star
under similar circumstances - don't go if you know there will be a big
group.

In conclusion - As I say I really enjoyed it - ship and staff
excellent - China Life Group not