Search Alert Luggage Tags

Old May 1st, 2004, 05:42 AM

Default Search Alert Luggage Tags

Why pay $5 for a TSA lock ,they are just a blue plastic wire tie?? You
can buy a giant bundle of them at Home depot, Lowes,etc. for less! You
can always mark them with a blue sharpie, I always use them on all our
bags. Don't forget your nail clippers!

BILL

Old May 1st, 2004, 01:37 PM
Mike Cordelli

Because it's not a blue plastic wire tie. It's a lock with a combination
that the TSA has a master key to open, and then relock on your bag..

Old May 5th, 2004, 06:05 AM

wrote:

"Jacqui B." wrote:

Just returned from the 10-day cruise on the Summit and since I was concerned
about not locking my luggage, I went into the Transportation Security
Administration's website for whatever help they could give me.

The T.S.A.-approved locks are available at Tilley's Endurables, about $5.00
Canadian. They come in different colours and are labelled with the T.S.A.
symbol on them.

On our return home, one of our bags was opened by the T.S.A. On the outside
handle next to the lock was one of those blue plastic tags indicating
"T.S.A. inspected" and on the inside was a flyer indicating that our bag was
one of those selected for physical inspection.

No damage done to the locks and the contents were minimally disturbed. I'm
really glad now that I went to the trouble of getting the locks. It gave me
added peace of mind.

Their website is
www.TSATravelTips.us. If anybody needs further info on
Tilley's, let me know.

--
Jacqui B.

Interesting web site. Went to their Travel Tips, then to the Important
Notice Concerning Checked Baggage. On that page they had a brief
mention about locks, to wit: "TSA suggests that you help prevent the
need to break your locks by using a TSA recognized locking mechanism.
These "special" locks can be opened by TSA using tools provided to us by
the luggage industry members." But, they had no other detail those
"special" locks. No description of what makes them "special" or
anything else. Used their Search box, with "locks" as the argument, and
it brought me back to the same page. Typical government obfuscation!

Fortunately, Google is my friend, and a search for "TSA approved locks"
turned up a bunch of sources. Never found a 4-dial combo lock under $10
ea. About the lowest price for the 3-dial locks was $7.50. Finally
settled on a pack of 4 key locks for $10 from E-Bags. I'm not willing
to pay $7.50 ea for 4 locks, especially to keep the TSA happy.

Now, I'll see if they work.

Stranger

Just received the locks I ordered from E-Bags. Arrived right on time,
per E-Bags estimate. If you use the "Bill Me" option rather than a
credit card, they pay UPS shipping. Good vendor!

The locks are key operated, with the TSA diamond logo, and are made by
Lewis N. Clark (Seriously!! Hey, I don't name 'em, I just report 'em!)
Two colors are available--Neon Green and Neon Pink. Got 4 locks for
$10. The keys are fairly substantial and have the hill-and-valley
configuration on one side, which seems to indicate pin and tumbler
locks. They are fairly heavy, much the same weight as similar sized
brass locks, and the lock body is 1 inch wide by 3/4 inch high. The
hasp seems a bit skinny, and probably not case hardened.

They were packaged two locks to a blister pack, with each package
containing 4 keys. Now, here's the interesting part: the keys from each
package would operate the lock from the other package as well. That
kind of makes me wonder: are ALL the keys the same? Does anyone else
with the same lock have keys that will fit mine? Oh, well, as I said in
another post, I won't put anything expensive in my bags.

Now, I'll be waiting to see if TSA opens them and leaves their calling
card.

Stranger