What is the best medicine for seasickness?

Old May 2nd, 2004, 02:08 PM
Finz Up

Default What is the best medicine for seasickness?

I am going on my first cruise Friday (WOOHOO) and was wondering what the
cruise veterans recommend to prevent motion sickness. I already have a
perscription for scopolamine patches, but have been seeing alot of people
recommend Bonine. Which does a better job with less side effects.

--
Maybe it's all too simple, for our big brains to figure out...
What it the hokey pokey is really what it's all about? JB
Old May 2nd, 2004, 02:35 PM
fishman

"Finz Up" wrote in message
I am going on my first cruise Friday (WOOHOO) and was wondering what the
cruise veterans recommend to prevent motion sickness. I already have a
perscription for scopolamine patches, but have been seeing alot of people
recommend Bonine. Which does a better job with less side effects.

--
Maybe it's all too simple, for our big brains to figure out...
What it the hokey pokey is really what it's all about? JB

First off, what makes you suspect that you will have seasickness? It's not
required, and if you have no history of motion sickness there is no reason
to think that on a large ship, with stabilizers, that you will have a
problem.

Chris

Old May 2nd, 2004, 03:32 PM
Karen Henelde

Hi,

Hopefully you won't experience any seasickness. However, if you do have a
history of motion sickness (in a car, plane, etc.) it's always better to be
prepared. I really like Bonine. However, be aware that with Bonine, for
it to be most effective, it needs to be taken before you feel ill, and not
after the fact. Dramamine is stronger and therefore has more side effects
(such as sleepiness.) And the scopolamine patches also have some
uncomfortable side effects, such as dizziness, blurry vision and dry mouth.
And contrary to what a lot of people think about motion sickness, it is a
very real physiological problem for a lot of people, and should be treated
as such.

Have a fantastic cruise!

Karen
Owings Mills, MD

Old May 2nd, 2004, 04:26 PM
Tom & Linda

Bonine is milder than the patch and generally works extremely well. It used
to be a prescription drug, but based on it's excellent safety profile it was
granted over the counter usage.

The patch often has more side effects.

When we did our first cruise, I asked my doctor. He said just used one of
the over the counter products - we found that of those, Bonine worked the
best for us. It's an antihistamine - a category of drugs which frequently
will make you a bit drowsy. But Bonine is one of the non-drowsy
antihistamines... though in truth, people are different and it may make some
drowsy. But we find that it works extremely well.

You take one tablet a day, once a day - every day. We take ours at
breakfast, starting the morning that we fly (or drive) to the ship. The key
with Bonine is that it prevents, it doesn't cure once it's too late.

--Tom

Old May 2nd, 2004, 05:15 PM
RTCReferee

Whether you will or will not have a tendency to succumb to motion sickness is
anyone's guess; however, for your first cruise, I would suggest that you take
some medicine with you, just in case.

You can read about Meclizine (generic name) at the following government page:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...r/a682548.html
Old May 2nd, 2004, 05:46 PM
RTCReferee

"Karen Henelde" wrote:

I really like Bonine. However, be aware that with Bonine, for
it to be most effective, it needs to be taken before you feel ill, and not
after the fact. Dramamine is stronger and therefore has more side effects
(such as sleepiness.) And the scopolamine patches also have some
uncomfortable side effects, such as dizziness, blurry vision and dry mouth.

The newer version of Dramamine, called Dramamine II, is identical to Bonine.

See the following:

Bonine "Bonine Motion Sickness Protection, Raspberry Flavored Chewable
Tablets"
Active Ingredients:*Meclizine Hydrochloride (25 mg)

Dramamine II : Active Ingredients:*Meclizine Hydrochloride (25 mg)
Active ingredient: meclizine HCl (25 mg). (HCl = Hydrochloride)

You can see a picture of a vial of Dramamine II at the following:

http://www.medcoschool.com/Fast/Prod...ction=8&Subsec
tion=379

Antivert Active*Ingredient: Meclizine Hydrochloride

Antivert/12.5 Active Ingredients:*Meclizine Hydrochloride (12.5 mg)
Antivert/25 Active Ingredients:*Meclizine Hydrochloride (25 mg)
Antivert/50 Active Ingredients:*Meclizine Hydrochloride (50 mg)

You can also get generic drugs, e.g. Mecizine

Active Ingredients:*Meclizine HCl, USP (25 mg)

You can read more about Meclizine at Yale New Haven Health:

http://yalenewhavenhealth.org/Librar...topic.asp?hwid
=multumd00859a1

------------------------

Dramamine "Dramamine Motion Sickness Relief, Chewable Formula, Orange

Active Ingredients:*each tablet contains:*Dimenhydrinate (50 mg)

Dramamine Motion Sickness Relief, Original Formula, Tablets

Active Ingredients:*each tablet contains:*Dimenhydrinate (50 mg)
---------------

Marezine Active Ingredients:*Per tablet:*Cyclizine Hydrochloride 50mg"
Old May 3rd, 2004, 01:09 AM
Jean O'Boyle

"Finz Up" wrote in message
I am going on my first cruise Friday (WOOHOO) and was wondering what the
cruise veterans recommend to prevent motion sickness. I already have a
perscription for scopolamine patches, but have been seeing alot of people
recommend Bonine. Which does a better job with less side effects.

I would advise you to reconsider before you try anything as potent as
scopolamine patches. I had an severe reaction with dizziness, dry mouth (to
the point where it was difficult for me to swallow) and became very
disoriented. I thought I would never recover. It took four months before it
completely left my system and I felt like myself again. Unless you are sure
that you suffer from motion sickness, I would not take anything. I took
Bonine for the next cruise and it worked very well. After three cruises or
so, I stopped getting sea sick, but I always pack my Bonine when I cruise.
Usually end up giving it to someone else! ;-)

--Jean

Old May 3rd, 2004, 01:17 AM
Howie

Jean O'Boyle wrote:

"Finz Up" wrote in message

I am going on my first cruise Friday (WOOHOO) and was wondering what the
cruise veterans recommend to prevent motion sickness. I already have a
perscription for scopolamine patches, but have been seeing alot of people
recommend Bonine. Which does a better job with less side effects.

I would advise you to reconsider before you try anything as potent as
scopolamine patches. I had an severe reaction with dizziness, dry mouth (to
the point where it was difficult for me to swallow) and became very
disoriented. I thought I would never recover.

Did a patch on that first cruise, after getting seasick. I agree. All
I wanted to do is sleep. So I ripped it off and boogied for my last
four nights on board.

It took four months before it
completely left my system and I felt like myself again.

Wow! That really sucks, Jean.

Howie

Old May 3rd, 2004, 01:32 AM
Kurt Ullman

In article , "Jean O'Boyle"
wrote:

so, I stopped getting sea sick, but I always pack my Bonine when I cruise.
Usually end up giving it to someone else! ;-)

There are some studies in the medical literature that indicate the some of
the bracelets are good. Google Medline and the search on motion sickness for
some journal articles.

"Writers even write the silences"
-J. Michael Straczynski
Old May 3rd, 2004, 02:02 AM
Bob

You might consider the scopolamine tablets. They are described at
http://www.motionsickness.net/newhope.html. They allow you to tailor
the dosage and take it only when needed.

My wife thinks they are great.