US closing another midpacific airfield

Old September 20th, 2003, 01:50 PM
Fly Guy

Default US closing another midpacific airfield

AJC wrote:

http://www.iii.co.uk/shares/?type=ne...action=article

If they're closing the air fields (and turning the islands into
national parks) how will people be able to even get to those islands?
Boat?
Old September 20th, 2003, 04:02 PM
TMOliver

AJC vented spleen or mostly mumbled...

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 08:50:28 -0400, Fly Guy wrote:

AJC wrote:

http://www.iii.co.uk/shares/?type=ne...action=article

If they're closing the air fields (and turning the islands into
national parks) how will people be able to even get to those islands?
Boat?

Well surely the idea of at least some national parks is to keep people
away from them!
--==++AJC++==--

There are those who would perceive that perspective as arrogantly elitist.

"We're going to buy and maintain this park, see, but you can't go. It's
reserved for the bigwigs/butterfly enthusiasts/friends of the golden
throated bobolink."

There are a number of we philosophical egalitarians who feel that, while
limiting snowmobiles or dune buggies from a"national park" may be justfied
of the grounds of potential damage, to ban visitors or to limit them to
specific groups/profiles is clearly unconstitutional, or as a
traditionalist would put it, "clearly not the intent of the Framers".

TMO
Old September 20th, 2003, 06:01 PM
Miguel Cruz

TMOliver wrote:
AJC vented spleen or mostly mumbled:
Well surely the idea of at least some national parks is to keep people

There are those who would perceive that perspective as arrogantly elitist.

"We're going to buy and maintain this park, see, but you can't go. It's
reserved for the bigwigs/butterfly enthusiasts/friends of the golden
throated bobolink."

There are a number of we philosophical egalitarians who feel that, while
limiting snowmobiles or dune buggies from a"national park" may be justfied
of the grounds of potential damage, to ban visitors or to limit them to
specific groups/profiles is clearly unconstitutional, or as a
traditionalist would put it, "clearly not the intent of the Framers".

You don't see that there's a benefit to keeping people from tramping over at
least some spots on the planet?

I don't think there would be a problem with using whatever method you found
most egalitarian to determine who got to go. Lottery? Fee? Written exam?

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.
Old September 20th, 2003, 07:07 PM
Dick Locke

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 12:22:08 -0500, TMOliver
wrote:

At what point does the protection of Mother Nature from the depredation of
crass humans pass the threshold of justification? When do you shoot the
tiger? After the first villager is dined upon? The tenth?

When people start moving to places where they need to drive 20 miles
in their 400 horsepower machomobiles and never-taken-off-road SUVs to
get a roll of toilet paper or to take little Ashley to a soccer game?
;-)

Old September 20th, 2003, 08:10 PM
mrtravel

Fly Guy wrote:

AJC wrote:

http://www.iii.co.uk/shares/?type=ne...action=article

If they're closing the air fields (and turning the islands into
national parks) how will people be able to even get to those islands?
Boat?

Yes. How do you normally get to the Channel Islands (Calif) or Fort
Jefferson in the Tortugas?

Old September 20th, 2003, 08:33 PM
mrtravel

TMOliver wrote:
AJC vented spleen or mostly mumbled...

There are a number of we philosophical egalitarians who feel that, while
limiting snowmobiles or dune buggies from a"national park" may be justfied
of the grounds of potential damage, to ban visitors or to limit them to
specific groups/profiles is clearly unconstitutional, or as a
traditionalist would put it, "clearly not the intent of the Framers".

Can you point out this clause in the constitution?

Do you not know people that couldn't afford to go there even if there
was an airport? I didn't see anything about banning visitors, just
closing the airport.

Old September 22nd, 2003, 01:41 PM
me

mrtravel wrote in message igy.com...
TMOliver wrote:
AJC vented spleen or mostly mumbled...

There are a number of we philosophical egalitarians who feel that, while
limiting snowmobiles or dune buggies from a"national park" may be justfied
of the grounds of potential damage, to ban visitors or to limit them to
specific groups/profiles is clearly unconstitutional, or as a
traditionalist would put it, "clearly not the intent of the Framers".

Can you point out this clause in the constitution?

[snip]

He's probably referring to the equal protection clause. There
was also however the 10th amendment. (Is a "right to travel"
clause too although that is really more of a restraint on states
being able to prevent state to state travel).
Old September 22nd, 2003, 03:22 PM
DALing

assuming you make the access difficult enough (so you want to go to midway,
you need to go by boat) people won't go (or at least the ones who go will
have spent a lot of money to do it)

Old September 22nd, 2003, 05:15 PM
mrtravel

TMOliver wrote:

AJC vented spleen or mostly mumbled...

There are a number of we philosophical egalitarians who feel that, while
limiting snowmobiles or dune buggies from a"national park" may be justfied
of the grounds of potential damage, to ban visitors or to limit them to
specific groups/profiles is clearly unconstitutional, or as a
traditionalist would put it, "clearly not the intent of the Framers".

Can you point out this clause in the constitution?

[snip]

He's probably referring to the equal protection clause. There
was also however the 10th amendment. (Is a "right to travel"
clause too although that is really more of a restraint on states
being able to prevent state to state travel).

And the right to travel doesn't mean you have the right to have a
government (taxpayer) funded airfield at the destination.