usa on the road , my road trip

Old March 18th, 2007, 10:02 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Wipower

Default usa on the road , my road trip

Hi all,

reading your NG suggests I finally made a road trip:

Itinerario:
6000ml 08-01-2007 09-02-2007
Sequoia- King Canyons 1d
Yosemite e dintorni (mono lake,glacier point) 2d
Death valley 1d
Las Vegas 2d
Zion 1d
Bryce 1d
yellowstone 5d
gran teton 1d
canyonland arches moab 2d
Monument valley 1d
Page Powell Lake 1d
Gran canyon 1d
Joshua tree 1d
San diego 3d
Los angels 2d
Monterey 1d
San francisco 3d

What do you think?

any other suggests? Other places that I should visit?

I prefer to visit Yellostone (I know is too far) instead other places
(petrified forrest,mesa verde,durango etc etc)

Thanks & ciao

wip

Old March 18th, 2007, 12:37 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

Wipower wrote:
[...]

Just the opposite. I think you are spending too little time in each of
too many places.
Sequoia- King Canyons 1d
Death valley 1d
Zion 1d
Bryce 1d
gran teton 1d
Monument valley 1d
Page Powell Lake 1d
Gran canyon 1d
Joshua tree 1d
Monterey 1d

I am not as familiar as others here with some of the parks but I would
suggest seeing fewer of them and staying a bit longer in each place.

Also, be aware that places like Death Valley and Joshua tree will be
very, very hot when you are there. Also tourist areas will be very
crowded in August.

In any case it will be a great trip - you will see a lot of fantastic
scenery.

--
Seinfeld Lists http://tinyurl.com/f7k9d
Sawyer's Nicknames http://tinyurl.com/gowma
Old March 18th, 2007, 05:25 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa

"Wipower" wrote in message
[...]

wip -

If you maintain this itinerary, you will find yourself spending more time in
your automobile going from one place to another rather than enjoying the
places/scenery. Please be advised that places out west are far apart and
while the roadways are good, for the most part there are no superhighways
leading to them. This - compared to most (if not all) European countries -
is a very BIG country. For example - while you do not indicate where you
land, I presume that you will arriving at SFO. From SFO - after you get
your rental car - it will take you around 6 or 8 hours of non stop driving
to get to Sequoia National Park. From Sequoia - Kings Canyon, it will take
you something like 4-5 hours non stop to get to Yosemite National Park.
From Glacier Point in Yosemite to Mono Lake is around another 4 - 5 hour
drive non stop. From Mono Lake to Stovepipe Springs in Death Valley non
stop is something like 4 - 5 hours of driving.

And I would double check the automobile rental to make sure that you can
indeed have a one month rental contract. For the most part, 15 days
duration is more common.

Old March 18th, 2007, 07:55 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Stephen Dailey

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 16:25:43 GMT, Lawrence Akutagawa
wrote:

"Wipower" wrote in message
[...]

You make that sound like a bad thing!

Please be advised that places out west are far apart and
while the roadways are good, for the most part there are no superhighways
leading to them. This - compared to most (if not all) European
countries -
is a very BIG country. For example - while you do not indicate where you
land, I presume that you will arriving at SFO. From SFO - after you get
your rental car - it will take you around 6 or 8 hours of non stop
driving
to get to Sequoia National Park. From Sequoia - Kings Canyon, it will
take
you something like 4-5 hours non stop to get to Yosemite National Park.
From Glacier Point in Yosemite to Mono Lake is around another 4 - 5 hour
drive non stop. From Mono Lake to Stovepipe Springs in Death Valley non
stop is something like 4 - 5 hours of driving.

And I would double check the automobile rental to make sure that you can
indeed have a one month rental contract. For the most part, 15 days
duration is more common.

===
Steve
Shoreline, Washington USA

18 Mar 2007, 1055 PDT
Old March 18th, 2007, 08:22 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa

news
wrote:

"Wipower" wrote in message
Hi all,

reading your NG suggests I finally made a road trip:

/snip/

What do you think?

wip

wip -

If you maintain this itinerary, you will find yourself spending more
time in
your automobile going from one place to another rather than enjoying the
places/scenery.

You make that sound like a bad thing!

Well, no...not if you want to spend all that time in the car. On the other
hand, if you really do want to spend that much time in the car, you could
simply park outside the car rental office and spend the entire vacation in
your car there.

Old March 18th, 2007, 08:34 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Wipower

"Lawrence Akutagawa" ha scritto nel messaggio:

If you maintain this itinerary, you will find yourself spending more
time in
your automobile going from one place to another rather than enjoying the
places/scenery.

You make that sound like a bad thing!

Well, no...not if you want to spend all that time in the car. On the
other hand, if you really do want to spend that much time in the car, you
could simply park outside the car rental office and spend the entire
vacation in your car there.

It could be a good idea

Old March 18th, 2007, 09:39 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
tim.....

t...

wrote:

"Wipower" wrote in message
Hi all,

reading your NG suggests I finally made a road trip:

/snip/

What do you think?

wip

wip -

If you maintain this itinerary, you will find yourself spending more
time in
your automobile going from one place to another rather than enjoying the
places/scenery.

You make that sound like a bad thing!

Well, no...not if you want to spend all that time in the car. On the
other hand, if you really do want to spend that much time in the car, you
could simply park outside the car rental office and spend the entire
vacation in your car there.

There is a huge difference between this and driving through
some of the most scenic parts of the US. ISTM that it is
perfectly possible to have a wonderful holiday in the area
without getting out of the car at all (except to eat and sleep).

(Yes that would be a waste, but not completely stupid).

tim

Old March 18th, 2007, 09:58 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
tim.....

"Wipower" wrote in message
Hi all,

reading your NG suggests I finally made a road trip:

Itinerario:
6000ml 08-01-2007 09-02-2007
Sequoia- King Canyons 1d

If, as someone else suggested you are arriving at SFO
this is out of the way here. You should drive straight to
Yosemite and return back via Sequoia.

Yosemite e dintorni (mono lake,glacier point) 2d
Death valley 1d
Las Vegas 2d

I would skip 2 days here. One evening is enough.

Zion 1d
Bryce 1d
yellowstone 5d
gran teton 1d

There is nothing of great interest that requires you to
stop in Grand Teton. The only reason it is the nth most
visited park is because it is impossible to visit Yellowstone
from the south without driving through it.

canyonland arches moab 2d
Monument valley 1d
Page Powell Lake 1d
Gran canyon 1d
Joshua tree 1d
San diego 3d
Los angels 2d

What is it you expect of LA. I didn't find anything particularly
interesting (other than Universal Studios etc)

You should now add the trip to Sequoia.

Monterey 1d

Compared to the rest Monterey is 'ordinary', Carmel is nicer
(but still not worth a day's stop). But you need to stop
somewhere between LA and SF so I suppose this will do

But if you are going via Sequoia you might want to forget
Monterey.

Having said that, this will miss out the coast road completely.

tim

Old March 19th, 2007, 08:09 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jochen Kriegerowski

"tim....." schrieb

There is a huge difference between this and driving through
some of the most scenic parts of the US. ISTM that it is
perfectly possible to have a wonderful holiday in the area
without getting out of the car at all (except to eat and sleep).

I don't agree on the 'not getting out of the car at all' part g
but you are right.
I've never been to that corner of the continent, but spent several
wonderful holidays in Canada, driving thousands of kilometres.

The OP seems to be in Italy as his message-ID suggests, and
maybe the folks on the other side of the atlantic can't imagine
how immensely relaxing it is for us Europeans to drive on North
American highways, compared to the congested autostrade,
Autobahnen, motorways, autopistas... in Good Old Europe.

Jochen from Potsdam
Old March 19th, 2007, 12:08 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Icono Clast

Wipower wrote:
reading your NG suggests I finally made a road trip:

Itinerario:
6000ml 08-01-2007 09-02-2007

What do you think?

I think you've done quite well but I hope that list isn't your route.
I urge you to consider NOT visiting
yellowstone 5d
gran teton 1d
canyonland arches moab 2d
Monument valley 1d
Page Powell Lake 1d
this trip as they add a great deal of travelling.

I wish to add that you're spending too little time in San Francisco
and suggest that you consider spending less time in some of the
places you're going in order to spend more time here.

Stephen Dailey wrote:
Lawrence Akutagawa wrote:
If you maintain this itinerary, you will find yourself spending
more time in your automobile going from one place to another
rather than enjoying the places/scenery.

You make that sound like a bad thing!

It isn't. Nor is it a good thing.

Here's "A bit of non-gambling Las Vegas" with about a dozen useful
links: http://geocities.com/iconoc/Articles/LasVegas.html
If you're there on a Monday, go to the bar at the back of the
Stratosphere at 20:00 for a Blues Jam that's a blast.

Driving Directions with links to relevant maps and URLs of places
passed through: San Francisco to Pacifica-Half Moon Bay-Santa
Cruz-Monterey/Carmel http://geocities.com/iconoc/Articles/DriveDir.html

The "Don't-miss SIGHTS in San Francisco" page
http://geocities.com/iconoc/Articles/Sights.html has enough to keep
you busy for nine 12.7-hour days. It includes links to your best
sources of advice on WHERE TO EAT and, according to the Department of
Health, WHERE TO NOT EAT here, the UseNet Group ba.food, and the
quite-good sfSurvey and the comprehensive Yelp. It also has a WEATHER
CHART with a link to current conditions.

The FLAG/MAPS page http://geocities.com/iconoc/Grafix/FlagMaps.html
has links to the best on-line MAP of San Francisco, an inter-active
PDF created for the San Francisco Municipal Railway best viewed at
150% or greater magnification. There's also a link that will tell you
HOW TO GET THERE FROM HERE. Among other maps and links on the page
are a map of our CABLE CAR ROUTES, our 49-mile SCENIC DRIVE, and a
superb map of GOLDEN GATE PARK.

The frequently-updated SPECIAL EVENTS page has irregularly-scheduled
music and dances as well as links to seven calendars of
regularly-scheduled dances, a composite of five of them, and one of
dance cruises and events around the world:
http://geocities.com/dancefest/Specials.html

A San Franciscan who's visited 49 of 50 US states.
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ --- http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 ------- IClast at Gmail com