Trekking in Nepal - is it safe?

Old August 19th, 2004, 02:02 AM
Bob Jordan

Default Trekking in Nepal - is it safe?

In article ,
wrote:

Trekking in Nepal is one of those things I've wanted to do for a
while, and this year I finally have the time to do it. However I'm
somewhat concerned about the advisability of doing this given the
Maoist activity in Nepal.

Has anyone been there recently? Is it safe, or would it be madness to
go to Nepal in October of this year

I visited there two years ago next October and would recommend it
strongly. We spent a month and trekked 23 days from Jiri to Gokyo and
Kala Pattar adn back to Lukla. We were two guys in our late 40's and
fifties and we hired a guide and a porter. It was wonderful. We spent
time with many others whoi did not travel with guides. A spanish
brother and sister - late 20's with only basic english. a young new york
couple - early twenties who had spent little time outside NewYork and
just hired a Porter with little english. A japanese gentleman in his
60's at least travelling alone, a couple of women in their 30's maybe
travelling alone without guides or porters. I am sure all of these
people would go back tomorrow.

Yes there are maoists and some of the people we met had been asked for
'park fees' which they paid. the fees were not significant if viewed in
relation to total trip costs and there is little evidence of dangers
beyond that you experience every day crossing the street or driving in
your home town.

I would say go! Yes be cautious and be prepared to have to pay these
people but the reard is ghuge. The Nepalese people are wonderful and
the place is perfect for trekking. The Nepalese women are very strong
and are a delight to interact with. You will not regret such a trip.

If you want to read my story let me know. It is a 1Mbyte Word doc with
a few pictures.

GO!

--
Note abbreviate my country name to nz in address above

Bob Jordan
HortResearch
Priv. Bag 3123
Hamilton New Zealand
Ph +64 7 858 4748

Old August 23rd, 2004, 03:46 PM
CP Dhungana

You are really right, Nepal would be a dream land for your precious
holiday. it is also proud to see the everest, roof of the world.
Just click and enjoy your holiday
www.himalayanglacier.com