Americans are angry

Old August 10th, 2010, 12:35 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe
Donna Evleth[_1_]

Default Americans are angry

From: John Rennie
Newsgroups:
alt.activism.death-penalty,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,soc.retireme nt,rec.tr
avel.europe
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 02:10:43 +0100
Subject: Americans are angry

The gods have made us mad wrote:

"John Rennie" wrote in message
The gods have made us mad wrote:

"O'Donovan, PJ, Himself" wrote in message
Americans are angry

http://preview.tinyurl.com/4zEvleths220g10

Excerpts:

"...In the age of Obama, there is no real contractual obligation:
everything from paying back bondholders to fixing a BP penalty is,
well, ³negotiable.² When the money runs out, the law will too. Law?
There is no law other than a mandated equality of result....

.....the proverbial people seem angry. A book will have to be written
explaining how in 19 months Obama blew a 70% approval rating and is
headed for under 40% ‹ something that took Bush six years.... "

An interesting read - although, at first, I to remember who Obama
*was*....

Seriously, from a British perspective, it's been a long, long time
since we saw so little of a US President on our TV screens.

From Kennedy to Bush MKll, barely a day went by without an American
President featuring on our TV news - waging a war here, signing an
important treaty there, always in the thick of things, and always in
the UK media spotlight. so much so, that American Presidents were
more familiar to us than 75% of our own politicians.

And then came Obama. Hailed by some as Saviour, feared by others as
an Anti-Christ, it seemed certain that we would see more of this
particular President than any other.

Instead of which, it's getting to the point of "O...*who*..."

Obviously he's a man with a lot of domestic issues on his mind - but
that was ever the case for occupants of the White House, yet they
still managed to write their names indelibly in the world's history
books.

One doesn't really know whether to be grateful or disappointed that
your 44th President turned out to be a hermit

Hmm...something's wrong with your tele

.

I don't watch much telly, admittedly - but I often catch the news,
and I listen to the radio 4 news a lot, and there seldom seems to be
anything about Obama.

Where are the state visits to Russia?, the Chinese banquets in the Great
Hall Of The People? Where is the endless footage of Airforce One
winging its way around the world?, the motorcades, the razzamatazz, the
televised pomp and panoply that accompanied other US Presidents wherever
they went?

If Obama gives *one* impression, it's of being completely out of his depth.

Name me one American President who wasn't and don't say Roosevelt.

One of the few joys of being old is that I can actually remember how
vilified Roosevelt was in his day.

Donna Evleth

Old August 10th, 2010, 12:45 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe
John Rennie

From: John Rennie
Newsgroups:
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 02:10:43 +0100

[...]

From Kennedy to Bush MKll, barely a day went by without an American
[...]

Didn't deserve it on the domestic front but oh dear when it came
to dealing with Stalin he was just very weak. Why I think he was
more anti the British Empire (and Churchill) than the Soviet Union.
Of course the man was very ill and that does make a difference.
Old August 10th, 2010, 12:51 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe
PJ O'Donovan

On Aug 9, 9:10*pm, John Rennie wrote:
The gods have made us mad wrote:

"John Rennie" wrote in message
m...
The gods have made us mad wrote:

"O'Donovan, PJ, Himself" wrote in message
Americans are angry

http://preview.tinyurl.com/4zEvleths220g10

Excerpts:

"...In the age of Obama, there is no real contractual obligation:
everything from paying back bondholders to fixing a BP penalty is,
well, “negotiable.” When the money runs out, the law will too. Law?
There is no law other than a mandated equality of result....

.....the proverbial people seem angry. A book will have to be written
explaining how in 19 months Obama blew a 70% approval rating and is
headed for under 40% — something that took Bush six years.... "

An interesting read - although, at first, I to remember who Obama
*was*....

Seriously, from a British perspective, it's been a long, long time
since we saw so little of a US President on our TV screens.

*From Kennedy to Bush MKll, barely a day went by without an American
[...]

Name me one American President who wasn't and don't say Roosevelt.- Hide quoted text -

FROM THE "CINDY SHEEHAN", JOHN MURTHA, JANE FONDA OF HIS DAY, JOSEPH
KENNEDY, NOT ONLY ROOSEVELT'S AMBASSADOR TO THE UK BUT ALSO THE
FATHER OF PRESIDENT JOHN F. KENNEDY, PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE AND
SENATOR ROBERT F. KENNEDY, AND THE LEFTWING ICON FORMER SENATOR FROM
MA EDWARD M. KENNEDY.

'Harry, (Truman) what the hell are you doing campaigning for that
crippled son-of-a-bitch that killed my son Joe?' [Joseph P.] Kennedy
said, referring to his oldest son, who had died in the war. Kennedy
went on, saying Roosevelt had caused the war. Truman, by his later
account,..."
-- "Truman," by David McCullough, Page 328

Old August 10th, 2010, 01:55 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe
Mitchell Holman[_5_]

Jigsaw1695 wrote in
:

On Aug 9, 9:09*pm, Mitchell Holman wrote:
abelard wrote
innews:m5b16612jjuba7upejg0rdmn4a2gj

:

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 01:49:50 +0100, "The gods have made us mad"
wrote:

"O'Donovan, PJ, Himself" wrote in message

m.. .
Americans are angry

http://preview.tinyurl.com/4zEvleths220g10

Excerpts:

"...In the age of Obama, there is no real contractual obligation:
everything from paying back bondholders to fixing a BP penalty
is, well, “negotiable.” When the money runs out, the law will

"

An interesting read - although, at first, I to remember who Obama
*was*....

Seriously, from a British perspective, it's been a long, long time
since we saw so little of a US President on our TV screens.

From Kennedy to Bush MKll, barely a day went by without an American
President featuring on our TV news - waging a war here, signing an
important treaty there, always in the thick of things, and always
in the UK media spotlight. *so much so, that American Presidents
were more familiar to us than 75% of our own politicians.

And then came Obama. *Hailed by some as Saviour, feared by others
as an Anti-Christ, it seemed certain that we would see more of this
particular President than any other.

Instead of which, it's getting to the point of "O...*who*..."

Obviously he's a man with a lot of domestic issues on his mind -
but that was ever the case for occupants of the White House, yet
they still managed to write their names indelibly in the world's
history books.

One doesn't really know whether to be grateful or disappointed that
your 44th President turned out to be a hermit

everytime i see him it's in context of going on another holiday

* * Where was your complaint when Bush set the all time
record for the most time spent on vacation?

pelosi and reid are meanwhile trying to borrow more money
* * to spend...and obarmy cheering them on how he wants
* * to sign it in between golf and holidays

* * *So you don't want to pay for the federal spending you
want (the military, prisons, border guards, medicare) via
taxes OR borrowing. So where should the money come from,
do you think?- Hide quoted text -

You keep refering to Bush a lot........ more than anyone else on the
NG.

Evasion noted.

Explain how you want to pay for the federal spending
you want without taxes or borrowing.

Old August 10th, 2010, 02:46 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe
F*ck Off Uncle Dave

On Aug 10, 1:29*am, "dechucka" wrote:
"O'Donovan, PJ, Himself" wrote in ...
Americans are angry

poor diddies

I dunno, angry Americans are a cause for concern. They'll probably
start another war. Australia could be next, so don't be too smug. Do
you have much oil down there?

UD
Old August 10th, 2010, 06:06 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe
Donna Evleth[_1_]

From: John Rennie
Newsgroups:
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 12:45:01 +0100

From: John Rennie
Newsgroups:
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 02:10:43 +0100

The gods have made us mad wrote:

"John Rennie" wrote in message
The gods have made us mad wrote:

"O'Donovan, PJ, Himself" wrote in message
Americans are angry

http://preview.tinyurl.com/4zEvleths220g10

Excerpts:

"...In the age of Obama, there is no real contractual obligation:
everything from paying back bondholders to fixing a BP penalty is,
well, ½negotiable.… When the money runs out, the law will too. Law?
There is no law other than a mandated equality of result....

.....the proverbial people seem angry. A book will have to be written
explaining how in 19 months Obama blew a 70% approval rating and is
headed for under 40% Ð something that took Bush six years.... "

An interesting read - although, at first, I to remember who Obama
*was*....

Seriously, from a British perspective, it's been a long, long time
since we saw so little of a US President on our TV screens.

From Kennedy to Bush MKll, barely a day went by without an American
[...]

You also have to remember how isolationist America was before WWII. It was
a general atmosphere, and Roosevelt, in spite of his broader education, was
bound to get caught up in it.

Donna Evleth

Old August 10th, 2010, 06:40 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 19:06:25 +0200, Donna Evleth

From: John Rennie

Didn't deserve it on the domestic front but oh dear when it came
to dealing with Stalin he was just very weak. Why I think he was
more anti the British Empire (and Churchill) than the Soviet Union.
Of course the man was very ill and that does make a difference.

You also have to remember how isolationist America was before WWII. It was
a general atmosphere, and Roosevelt, in spite of his broader education, was
bound to get caught up in it.

My impression from reading the histories of the era was that FDR
wasn't so caught up in isolationism as that he was politically
obligated to pay due respect to it until he could find a reason
for the country to want to lose its isolationist sentiments.
Needless to say, the Axis obliged him, Japan giving a real jolt
to isolationism with respect to the Pacific, and Hitler's
gratuitous declaration of war on the USA giving a reason to join
in the fight in Europe.

A lot of FDR's pussyfooting was to avoid upsetting an
isolationist Congress, and even lend-lease had to be carefully
defended with that hose-borrowing metaphor.

Unfortunately, FDR did have a rather large ego and thought he and
Uncle Joe were buddies and Uncle Joe was just a peace-loving
dictator who really respected the independence of adjoining
neighbors. FDR also though Churchill was a drunk and
untrustworthy and trying to save the British Empire, which FDR
disdained. Not to mention that the torch of North Atlantic and
world leadership was passing from Britain to America.

Old August 10th, 2010, 07:00 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos[_2_]

Viititkö mennä muualle ristiinpostaamasta tätä sontaa.
Old August 10th, 2010, 07:27 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe
John Rennie

From: John Rennie

[...]

It had already passed but isolationist America had
refused to acknowledge it. Yes Churchill was a drunk
not that that fault did him much harm and he was
still in the 19th century as regards the British
Empire. However Roosevelt's tactics in endeavouring
to exclude him from the cosy chats he had with Stalin
were stupid.
Old August 10th, 2010, 08:54 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

From: John Rennie

[...]

Since Winston persisted in caliming Uncle Joe was not to be
trusted, he was placed in the role of a Cassandra. Among the
occasional "what-ifs" of history I wonder what if FDR had lived a
few years longer would he have finally recognized Stalin for what
he was?

Perhaps it was fortuitous that Truman became president before the
war ended.