Heathrow's Terminal 5 opens to chaos

Old March 30th, 2008, 08:01 AM posted to aus.aviation,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.europe
Kwyjibo[_2_]

Default Heathrow gets worse

.. wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 22:44:55 GMT, "Glen" wrote:
[entire msge snipped]

This is not relevant to rec.travel.australia+nz.

Oh, gawd. Here we go......

Please read the Charter/FAQ of ng.

Someone who removes all context by deliberately snipping the entire post
they are responding to , then referring to some idiotic charter without
providing a link telling *someone else* how to post??
ROFL.

--
Kwyj.

Old March 30th, 2008, 09:07 AM posted to aus.aviation,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default Heathrow's Terminal 5 opens to chaos

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 19:33:03 GMT, "Roger"
wrote:

"Glen" wrote in message
THE opening of London Heathrow Airport's $9.4 billion Terminal 5 has ended
in chaos, with its new baggage handling system suspended and dozens of
flights cancelled

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/...014090,00.html

Be interesting to see what the % failure rate was on day one versus day two,
etc. Considering on a quiet day that Heathrow puts about 180,000 passengers
through its doors, they probably have a better failure rate than most car
companies and far superior to most PCs.

The computer booking system that most airlines use is based in the USA,
Dallas I think and has been notorious in recent years for its major cockups.

Terminal 5 is supposed to a BA terminal so other airlines were not affected?

Two words....... Code Share..... perhaps not ONLY BA
Old March 30th, 2008, 11:49 PM posted to aus.aviation,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.europe
Rob.[_3_]

Default T5 baggage system 'working' - BA

T5 baggage system 'working' - BA
Bags piled up at Heathrow
Bags have been piling up at all Heathrow terminals

The baggage handling system at Heathrow's Terminal 5 is now "generally
working well", says British Airways Chief Executive Willie Walsh.

He said BA now had 400 volunteers working to clear the backlog of 15,000
bags which has built up at the airport.

"We are making every effort to reunite bags with their owners," he said.

Two hundred flights in and out of T5 were cancelled in its first three
days. A further 54 will be scrapped on Monday and some may also be
halted on Tuesday.

Old March 31st, 2008, 05:21 AM posted to aus.aviation,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 09:49:14 +1100, "Rob." . wrote:

T5 baggage system 'working' - BA
Bags piled up at Heathrow
Bags have been piling up at all Heathrow terminals

The baggage handling system at Heathrow's Terminal 5 is now "generally
working well", says British Airways Chief Executive Willie Walsh.

Yeah well, I saw some of that "Working" last time I went there.

Just the usual way they work..... Dead slow, if at all.

Old March 31st, 2008, 06:15 AM posted to aus.aviation,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.europe
David Bennetts

If Billy Connolly were around, he'd be saying Willie was holding his own.

Regards

David Bennetts

Old March 31st, 2008, 08:09 AM posted to aus.aviation,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.europe
Rob.[_3_]

David Bennetts wrote:

If Billy Connolly were around, he'd be saying Willie was holding his own.

Regards

David Bennetts

He said BA now had 400 volunteers working to clear the backlog of 15,000
bags which has built up at the airport.

I like this bit 400 volunteers/15000 bags one wonders!

"We are making every effort to reunite bags with their owners," he said.

How many will go missing?
Old March 31st, 2008, 09:51 AM posted to aus.aviation,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.europe
Mike......[_4_]

Following up to "RAK" wrote:

nah, just teething troubles, the Dome was wrong in principal.
--

But if/when the Dome failed, it did not really affect anything else, just
itself and national/govt pride.

very true but still temporary

And oddly the reborn O2 Dome seems to be turning into London's number 1
concert venue so perhaps is finally a success (though I was most unimpressed
by the acoustics on my one concert visit, so may not go back).

probably because it now has roadsigns, a carpark and puts on the
things people want to see.
--
Mike
Remove clothing to email
Old March 31st, 2008, 01:36 PM posted to aus.aviation,rec.travel.europe
Glen

Default 54 BA flights cancelled

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...8-1702,00.html

BRITISH Airways has cancelled another 54 flights today after a nightmare
weekend at London Heathrow airport's newly-opened Terminal Five.

The airline was dealing with a backlog of some 15,000 pieces of luggage
which had been separated from their owners since the terminal opened last
week.

Terminal Five has been blighted by logistical troubles with problems
compounded by a major computer glitch in the luggage handling system.

BA chief executive Willie Walsh was forced to make his second apology in
three days yesterday as the airline scrapped dozens of flights over the
weekend.

Today the atmosphere in the terminal - where huge queues built up last week
and people were forced to sleep on the floor because of cancelled flights -
was calm, according to witnesses.

BA has said Terminal Five would be at 87 per cent capacity today and
tomorrow.

Old March 31st, 2008, 05:40 PM posted to aus.aviation,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.europe
Mike.....[_2_]

Following up to Rob.

"We are making every effort to reunite bags with their owners," he said.

no doubt including the foreign minister whose bags were lost and complained
to our foreign minister in person at a meeting. By the way BA accept its
their fault, not BAA. The worlds un-favourite airline?
--
Mike
remove clothing to email
Old March 31st, 2008, 05:43 PM posted to aus.aviation,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.europe
Mike.....[_2_]

Following up to Dave Frightens Me

I question just what kind of person 'volunteers' in this kind of situation?
All that money, and they expect people to give up their free time to fix
this collosal stuff up?

does it mean unpaid volunteer? Or overtime for baggage handlers?
--
Mike
remove clothing to email