Strasbourg, France Lodging question

Old April 7th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Javaman

Default Strasbourg, France Lodging question

Will be in Strasbourg a few days this fall, does anybody have
any suggestions for inexpensive pensions or hotels?
thanks in advance!

Old April 7th, 2004, 07:52 PM
alexbrown77

Do you mean France or Austria? Anyway, have you look into travel
website for affordable hotels or pensions. I know places like Orbitz
has search engines for them. I have used it and found it really
helpful. You just need to plug in when and where you want to go and it
spits out info on the hotels and prices.
Old April 7th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Steve Gallagher

"Javaman" wrote in message ...
Will be in Strasbourg a few days this fall, does anybody have
any suggestions for inexpensive pensions or hotels?
thanks in advance!

I highly recommend Hotel Maison Rouge, my wife and I spent a few great
days there almost exactly a year ago. They have a web site.
Old April 8th, 2004, 12:43 AM
Javaman

"alexbrown77" wrote in message
om...
Do you mean France or Austria? Anyway, have you look into travel
website for affordable hotels or pensions. I know places like Orbitz
has search engines for them. I have used it and found it really
helpful. You just need to plug in when and where you want to go and it
spits out info on the hotels and prices.

I'm talking about Strasbourg, France (as I said in the subject line).
I'm looking for small pensions and hotels, and those don't ususally
pop up in Orbitz.
Thanks for your suggestions, though!
:-)

Old April 8th, 2004, 02:28 AM
Dave Smith

Javaman wrote:

Will be in Strasbourg a few days this fall, does anybody have
any suggestions for inexpensive pensions or hotels?
thanks in advance!

I stayed in the Hotel Mercure there once. It was a nice place. We were
going to stay there again on a trip four years ago but ended up skipping
Strasbourg on that trip. The only problem I had with the Mercure was
that it was not very conveniently located.

Old April 8th, 2004, 11:18 AM
R J Carpenter

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
Javaman wrote:

Will be in Strasbourg a few days this fall, does anybody have
any suggestions for inexpensive pensions or hotels?
thanks in advance!

I stayed in the Hotel Mercure there once. It was a nice place. We were
going to stay there again on a trip four years ago but ended up skipping
Strasbourg on that trip. The only problem I had with the Mercure was
that it was not very conveniently located.

Some years ago I stayed at the Urbis (now the Ibis Quartier Petite France)
whuch I thought was a reasonable solution. It's only a short walk from the
interesting Petite France tourist sights.

It's considerably farther from the Cathedral - which is another major sight.
Unfortunately I have to guess a little about the location of the Cathedral
since it isn't shown on MS AutoRoute - but what do you expect from
Micro$oft? MS shows a hotel named "Cathedrale" about where I think the
Cathedral is located.

My AutoRoute map shows the Maison Rouge (recommended by another poster)
about equidistant from Petite France and the Cathedral.

I liked Strasbourg. I hope you do.

Bob C.

Old April 8th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Javaman

"R J Carpenter" wrote in message

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
Javaman wrote:

[...]

Thanks, the Accor hotel groups (Mercure/Ibis) seem a pretty good bet!

Old April 8th, 2004, 09:01 PM
Brian Wasson

The Hotel Maison Rouge is a very nice hotel, but I wouldn't classify
it as budget by any means. I stayed there two years ago during
Christmas market time. We arrived with no reservations, and it was
literally the only hotel in the city center that still had a room. We
ended up staying in the Ambassador Suite, which was amazing! (But
expensive.) Good location, right on a plaza, easy walking distance to
all major sights (Cathedral, Petit France, etc.).

The Hotel Cathedrale is also very well located, being directly across
from the Cathedral. It's cheaper than the Maison Rouge, too. There are
many other good, small hotels in Strasbourg. Your best bet is probably
to use the Strasbourg city tourist office's Web site for more info:
http://www.ot-strasbourg.fr/htm_uk/accueil.htm.

Brian W.

Old April 9th, 2004, 01:06 AM
R J Carpenter

"Javaman" wrote in message

Thanks, the Accor hotel groups (Mercure/Ibis) seem a pretty good bet!

I find the Ibis chain to be reliable, though not fancy. Always private
shower/bath, always a good buffet breakfast that you can fill up on. The
Mercure/Novotel are the next step up for Accor, larger rooms, fancier lobby,
more expensive. It's not worth the extra expense for me, and the
Mercure/Novotel is often next door to an Ibis, so location isn't better
either in those cases.

Old April 9th, 2004, 03:09 PM
antec

In article , 0dp4prl02
@sneakemail.com says...
Will be in Strasbourg a few days this fall, does anybody have
any suggestions for inexpensive pensions or hotels?
thanks in advance!

I have stayed at the Comfort Hotel Center located in the city center at
1 quai de Paris. It is part of the Choice/Comfort chain
(http://www.choicehotels.com/). Reasonable rooms, nice breakfast buffet,
easy walk to areas of interest.

If you are driving to Strasbourg, be aware that parking can be difficult
and driving inside the historic center can be confusing. A maze of
twisting, narrow one way streets, pedestrian only streets, and alleys
that seem to always pop you out where you started. Although the hotel
claimed that parking was available, we ended up parking the car in an
underground parking lot located 2 blocks away under the central plaza
Place Kleber.

For a good restaurant, try the Ponte St Martin ( www.pont-saint-
martin.com ) located in the Petite France section directly on the Ill
river. The dining rooms on 3 levels are directly on the river, so you
can watch tourist boats going by while you eat.

Richard Antisdel
Owings Mills, MD USA