Cruise Insurance

Old October 20th, 2003, 03:48 AM
David

Default Cruise Insurance

Hello all,

I just came back from RCCL's Majesty of the Seas. The cruise was to
go to Key West as part of the ports of call. However, high winds and
large swells kept us from going. We instead went back out to sea for
the final day.

I had purchased RCCL's cruise insurance. Would I be covered for some
compensation since weather kept us from our full schedule? There was
a lot of grumbling onboard the ship about missing our last port of
call. I figured that it would be best to wait until later this week
to contact RCCL about this to give them time to field the calls they
were sure to receive.

Any advice about what to do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old October 20th, 2003, 03:52 AM
Mike Cordelli

You need to check the policy, but I believe you covered a cruise, not a
cruise with specific ports of call. I'm fairly sure most insurance
companies (though without knowing the company or policy it's impossible to
say) will refer you back to RCCL for any compensation, and their small print
will clearly state that ports and stops may be changed without any notice.

You should at least get part of your port charges back.

om...

Old October 20th, 2003, 04:04 AM
Charles

In article , David
wrote:

I had purchased RCCL's cruise insurance. Would I be covered for some
compensation since weather kept us from our full schedule? There was
a lot of grumbling onboard the ship about missing our last port of
call. I figured that it would be best to wait until later this week
to contact RCCL about this to give them time to field the calls they
were sure to receive.

It is not uncommon to miss ports because of weather. The cruise line is
not going to take any resposibility for such and if you read the cruise
contract they may change the itinerary and omit any port without
notice. You won't get any compensation from RCCL cruise insurance for a
missed port.

--
Charles
Old October 20th, 2003, 04:40 AM
Bill C

unfotunately you probably won't receive anything. Read your cruise contract.
The cruiseline can change the itinerary at any time for any reason. I'd say
high winds and swells were a good reason to skip the port call. You still
got a full cruise just 1 less port call.

Bill

Old October 20th, 2003, 10:22 AM
kipling

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 23:40:59 -0400, "Bill C" wrote:

unfotunately you probably won't receive anything. Read your cruise contract.
The cruiseline can change the itinerary at any time for any reason. I'd say
high winds and swells were a good reason to skip the port call. You still
got a full cruise just 1 less port call.

Bill

"David" wrote in message
. com...
Hello all,

I just came back from RCCL's Majesty of the Seas. The cruise was to
go to Key West as part of the ports of call. However, high winds and
large swells kept us from going. We instead went back out to sea for
the final day.

I had purchased RCCL's cruise insurance. Would I be covered for some
compensation since weather kept us from our full schedule? There was
a lot of grumbling onboard the ship about missing our last port of
call. I figured that it would be best to wait until later this week
to contact RCCL about this to give them time to field the calls they
were sure to receive.

Any advice about what to do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

How would you quantify your loss? That the company wrongly failed to
expose you to a real risk of injury by entering the port,, and thereby
deprived you of the opportunity of making a valid claim under your
insurance policy?
Old October 20th, 2003, 12:01 PM
Rich Cacace

If the RCCL's insurance co. pays for a item like a missed port, please let
us know- It would be a first, especially since your contract with the cruise
line specifically says the cruise line can change itinerary as necessary.

Old October 20th, 2003, 03:48 PM
Cruzinsure

In general, no insurance will cover any circumstances which you specifically
agree to in your contract/agreement with the travel supplier.

The change of itinerary on your cruise, a change of hotels on a tour, a change
in airline on a package tour, etc. would all fall under this exemption if
allowed in the contract.

In your case, you agreed that the cruise line could make the itinerary change
for any reason. The insurance company would take the point of view that since
you gave the cruise line specific agreement that they could do just that
without compensation that you had no objections should it actually happen.

One area where we see this having the most problems is with barge cruises. Some
summers the water level in the canals is so low that the barges can't go
anywhere. They basically turn into a non-moving hotel for a week. But since the
charter contract makes the client aware that this might happen the client, once
agreeing to he contract, has no recourse against the barge company or any
insurance.