connecting in SYD on int'l-to-domestic ...

Old July 13th, 2004, 11:20 PM
4000 psi

Default connecting in SYD on int'l-to-domestic ...

could someone please tell me if 3 hours is enough to clear
immigration/customs in SYD coming off an international flight and onto a
domestic one to BNE ... the int'l flight arrives at 6am and domestic one to
BNE takes off at 9am, there are 3 passengers and 9 bags ...

and another question if i may ... when looking up AUS domestic flights on
www.expedia.com for example one finds flights (one-way from SYD to BNE) on
Qantas or Virgin priced at 300 USD ... same flights on nine.msn.com.au are
at most 90 AUD ... is it possible to book AUS domestic flights from US and
pay the local rates rather the over-inflated US-listed prices?

thank you all for any advice ... regards.

Old July 14th, 2004, 12:23 AM
Alan

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 17:20:31 -0500, "4000 psi" nospamever wrote:

could someone please tell me if 3 hours is enough to clear
immigration/customs in SYD coming off an international flight and onto a
domestic one to BNE ... the int'l flight arrives at 6am and domestic one to
BNE takes off at 9am, there are 3 passengers and 9 bags ...

and another question if i may ... when looking up AUS domestic flights on
www.expedia.com for example one finds flights (one-way from SYD to BNE) on
Qantas or Virgin priced at 300 USD ... same flights on nine.msn.com.au are
at most 90 AUD ... is it possible to book AUS domestic flights from US and
pay the local rates rather the over-inflated US-listed prices?

thank you all for any advice ... regards.

Can't answer your first question.
On the second one, I don't see why you couldn't book from overseas. I'd
suggest you go to the various web-sites and ask them direct by email
through their contact sections:

www.virginblue.com.au
www.qantas.com.au
www.jetstar.com.au

Cheers, Alan
Old July 14th, 2004, 03:41 AM
A Mate

#1. Should be, unless an unusual number of flights arrive at once. Long haul
flights do all pile in in the early am.

#2. Why not! Tickets are e-tickets - so you get 'em per e-mail. You've got a
credit card. Certainly I've done it from Australia for RyanAir (Ireland) on
several occassions with no problems!!

Old July 14th, 2004, 07:18 AM

Yes, you can easily book your domestic flights directly if you are a
credit card holder. There is no extra charge for you even if you are not a
citizen of Australia.
I've done booking my Melbourne-Hobart connections from Germany without any
problems!
The websites a
www.qantas.com.au
www.jetstar.com.au
www.virginblue.com.au

HTH, Matthias

Old July 14th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Peter Webb

"4000 psi" nospamever wrote in message
could someone please tell me if 3 hours is enough to clear
immigration/customs in SYD coming off an international flight and onto a
domestic one to BNE ... the int'l flight arrives at 6am and domestic one

BNE takes off at 9am, there are 3 passengers and 9 bags ...

Should be fine - they are about 2km apart, there is a free(?) shuttle bus.

and another question if i may ... when looking up AUS domestic flights on
www.expedia.com for example one finds flights (one-way from SYD to BNE) on
Qantas or Virgin priced at 300 USD ... same flights on nine.msn.com.au are
at most 90 AUD ... is it possible to book AUS domestic flights from US and
pay the local rates rather the over-inflated US-listed prices?

thank you all for any advice ... regards.

There's no restriction on buying Oz domestic tickets overseas.

However:

1. I would have thought that a ticket to Brisbane (which happens to go
through Sydney) would be cheaper than separately buying a ticket to Syd and
a ticket Syd - Bris.

2. If you are using different carriers and they are on different tickets,
and you miss your connecting flight, you have probably done your dough. (The
cheapest tickets don't allow you to change flights. Virgin lets you change
flights if you spend $15 or so extra on the ticket, but you have to notify
30 minutes before departure). If they are the same carrier (which in
practice means Qantas for both) and you miss the domestic Qantas leg because
the international flight was late, then you would probably get put on the
next Brisbane flight at no extra charge. You might want to let them know
when you check-in that you are catching a domestic flight - you might get
unloaded first if it is running late, or they might be able to help in other
ways (eg automatically rescheduling). If you buy a single ticket right
through to Brisbane, its all their problem ...

Old July 14th, 2004, 01:28 PM
sassie

Originally posted by 4000 Psi
could someone please tell

me if 3 hours is enough to clear
immigration/customs in SYD coming off

an international flight and onto a
domestic one to BNE ... the int'l

flight arrives at 6am and domestic one to
BNE takes off at 9am, there

are 3 passengers and 9 bags ...

and another question if i may ...

when looking up AUS domestic flights on
www.expedia.com for

example one finds flights (one-way from SYD to BNE) on
Qantas or

Virgin priced at 300 USD ... same flights on nine.msn.com.au are
at

most 90 AUD ... is it possible to book AUS domestic flights from US and

pay the local rates rather the over-inflated US-listed prices?

thank you all for any advice ... regards.

3 hours should be
plenty of time, although things do happen out of your control, as
happened to us a couple of weeks ago. we flew from heathrow to
melbourne, with a 4 hour connection time for our domestic flight up to
brisbane. Sods law, when we got to singapore, or just before we
arrived, an announcement was made that there would be a 6 hour delay in
singapore, which meant we would miss our domestic flight by about an
hour. so we spent the best part of 2 hours trying to get through to
qantas to change our booking. cost another £100 to change the booking.

Old July 14th, 2004, 02:32 PM
4000 psi

2. If you are using different carriers and they are on different tickets,

yeah we're using United for LAX-SYD ... does anyone know what the United
service is like to AUS? do the fly upgraded 747's ... do they have
entertainment centers in each seat?

Old July 14th, 2004, 11:36 PM
Alan

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 12:28:35 +0000, sassie
wrote:

3 hours should be
plenty of time, although things do happen out of your control, as
happened to us a couple of weeks ago. we flew from heathrow to
melbourne, with a 4 hour connection time for our domestic flight up to
brisbane. Sods law, when we got to singapore, or just before we
arrived, an announcement was made that there would be a 6 hour delay in
singapore, which meant we would miss our domestic flight by about an
hour. so we spent the best part of 2 hours trying to get through to
qantas to change our booking. cost another £100 to change the booking.

That's an important point. We left London last year on the day of the BA
strike (July 23) ten hours late. It helped that we had allowed two
nights in Singapore. But the ripple effect from London led to us having
to go from Singapore with BA via Melbourne then Qantas to Coolangatta,
instead of the planned Qantas via Brisbane to Coolangatta (home).

A few months earlier, we left San Juan four hours late on the flight to
Madrid. We had allowed two nights in Madrid before connecting to
Granada; I hate to think of trying to sort it out if we had needed to
connect on that day.

If it was me, I'd take the opportunity to spend a day or three in
Sydney, to sight-see and get over jet-lag. We did 19 flights on the rtw
ticket, but always allowed two or three nights at our first port-of-call
after a trans-oceanic.

Cheers, Alan