Cruise Insurance?

Old March 26th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Sabre

Default Cruise Insurance?

Getting ready to book my first cruise and was wondering what the general
consensus is on cruise insurance? Rip-off or life saver?

TIA!

Old March 26th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Badger

I've purchased it every time I've booked. Everyone I spoke to before
my first said ALWAYS buy Travel insurance for cruises.
Clay
m...

Old March 26th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Monica

We just took our first cruise a couple months ago (January). I have an
illness that COULD have prevented us from going. The weather COULD have
prevented us from getting to the ship. Those are the two main reasons we
included insurance but there are a lot of others things that COULD happen
while you're out of the country. Personally, I wouldn't risk not having
travel ins.
Monica
"Badger" wrote in message
om...
I've purchased it every time I've booked. Everyone I spoke to before
my first said ALWAYS buy Travel insurance for cruises.
Clay
"Sabre" wrote in message
m...
Getting ready to book my first cruise and was wondering what the

Old March 26th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Sabre

Thanks Badger!

From what I've read it only covers you if you get sick/injured, delays
traveling to get to the ship, etc.

If there is a hurricane, or the like, the cruise ship is obligated to
compensate, right?

Another question, is are guaranteed rooms a good idea?

Thanks!

"Badger" wrote in message
om...
I've purchased it every time I've booked. Everyone I spoke to before
my first said ALWAYS buy Travel insurance for cruises.
Clay
m...

Old March 26th, 2005, 09:36 PM
George in NY

I am a hit and miss on insurance meaning that it depends on circumstances.
Cruise in October NY to Bermuda, no flights to miss but took insurance
because we enjoy mo-pedding on the island. Been doing this for many years
without a problem but I do realize that one mistake and I might need medical
evacuation which is a not so small fortune.

January cruise to Panama Canal, took insurance more over concern of weather
and flights out of NY and so forth. Was a 10 day cruise and lot's of sea
time between Florida and Limon first stop so would have been expensive to
join up with ship if weather prevented being there for the sailing. Take the
insurance and always go day ahead.

George in NY

m...

Old March 26th, 2005, 09:40 PM
George in NY

Various circumstances would make cruise line probably compensate you but can
be hit and miss also. Also I never take insurance with the cruiseline since
one of the coverages is for default that may be mute if line providing
coverage.

Guarenteed status I presume is what you are taking, usually lower rate with
line assigning you a certain categorey minimum or above. You can have good
or bad luck with this. Bottom line is to check out deck plans and decide if
given the worse cabin you see in that categorey you would still be happy
saving a few bucks then a guarentee can make sense. If not, select your
cabin and pay the price.

George in NY

"Sabre" wrote in message
m...
Thanks Badger!

From what I've read it only covers you if you get sick/injured, delays
traveling to get to the ship, etc.

If there is a hurricane, or the like, the cruise ship is obligated to
compensate, right?

Another question, is are guaranteed rooms a good idea?

Thanks!

"Badger" wrote in message
om...
I've purchased it every time I've booked. Everyone I spoke to before
my first said ALWAYS buy Travel insurance for cruises.
Clay
m...

Old March 26th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Gregory C. Read

As with any insurance, it's a rip-off if you don't need it and a life saver
if you do. We always get it, but I now only get the insurance that cover me
while on the trip and not the cost of the trip. (CSA and enter a trip cost
of $0). I don't want to get a $20,000 evacuation bill, but I figure I can
afford to lose the cruise money since it's already paid.

--
Greg
lid

m...