Monterey California in September

Old June 12th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Steve & Chris Clark

Default Monterey California in September

I will be attending a conference in Monterey California in September flying
into San Jose and driving South.
I have a couple of questions because my husband and I will be spending the
week there.

I am considering The Lighthouse Inn and also the Clarion Hotel.......now
it's obvious we're on a bit of a budget because it's work oriented but we're
not really focused on spending time in the hotel anyway and plan to sightsee
in this gorgeous region.......I'm hearing a lot of disappointing things re
the Lighthouse Inn.
Can anyone be of any help as to where to stay......out of these two or even
another conservative suggestion?

Any other tidbits on this area, the drive from San Jose to Monterey, car
rentals, actually a motorcycle rental for my husband too?
A must see......a restaurant that is just to die for?

Any experiences good and bad would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance everyone!
Having trouble finalising our plans......
Chris

Old June 13th, 2005, 12:21 AM
Todd Michel McComb

In article ,
Steve & Chris Clark wrote:
I am considering The Lighthouse Inn and also the Clarion Hotel

I stay in Monterey every year. Do you mean Lighthouse Lodge? That's
out in Pacific Grove, away from Monterey. It's more peaceful out
there, not necessarily better. I love Pacific Grove, but we probably
stay in Monterey itself 2/3 of the time, just for convenience. As
for the Lighthouse Lodge, if this is what you mean (and I don't
know a Lighthouse Inn), it's a nice place. It's fine. I don't
know what sorts of complaints you read, but I wouldn't take them
seriously. It's pretty much the nicest place in Pacific Grove.
The Clarion is on the other side of Monterey, out toward the highway.
I've never stayed there. It's an unappealing part of town (not to
say it is terrible or "dangerous" or the like, but it's not fun or
attractive either).

Can anyone be of any help as to where to stay......out of these
two or even another conservative suggestion?

We most often stay at the Cannery Row Inn. Note that this is a
one-time Econolodge, so it's not a luxury place. However, the rooms
are not cramped (not at all), and have a fireplace. The upkeep is
pretty good, but it's also the cheapest place in the Cannery Row
area. In terms of doing Monterey-esque things, it's the perfect
location, right on the bike/pedestrian path.

If you bicycle, bike rentals are a nice way to see the town, including
going out to Pacific Grove.

A must see......a restaurant that is just to die for?

The Sardine Factory is one of our family favorite restaurants. Some
people don't like it because it'd old-fashioned, though. It's not
cheap, but "very Monterey" and really part of our holiday routine.
They catered the Reagan inaugural, had a Clint Eastwood movie set
there, etc. It's kind of that era of a place, but they have better
steak there than anything I've had in the San Jose area, for instance.

Old June 13th, 2005, 01:28 AM
mdrawson

Here, FWIW, was what we found in Monterey when we were there in Fall of 2003 (we maintain a directory of places we've stayed throughout the US and Canada). Hope this helps. We were pleased with Monterey Bay Lodge, and very disappointed with what we found at the Clarion.

California

Monterey Monterey Bay Lodge

55 Camino Aquajito Rd.

SR 1, Exit Aquajito, just west

Monterey, California 93940

(831) 372-8057

http://www.montereybaylodge.com

$110/night incl tax

Stay again? Definitely. AAA 2-diamonds. We found this motel after checking out a Clarion Hotel that was located right on Rte 101 as you enter Monterey. That has a AAA 3-diamond rating, which it doesn't deserve. It was dark and dingy and, being right on the busy road, noisy. The middle-eastern proprietor bargained prices with us for the best rooms (which were very large, but dark), but the place just wasn't for us.

Our son (with whose family we were traveling to visit the Monterey area) had identified the Monterey Bay Hotel as having some good amenities and being well located, so we checked that out. We were very pleasantly surprised. We took two rooms there for the three nights, and found them to be very family friendly, with a patio on the poolside as well as an entry door in the back. Our two rooms were located beside each other. The room was a bit small, but had a fireplace. The room did not include breakfast, but did offer a dollars-off coupon for breakfast at the attached restaurant, which we tried the first morning. The hotel is located right across the street from the Bay, and also is adjacent to a large park that has a lake and a very impressive playground designed and donated by Hank Ketchum (Dennis the Menace creator). This hotel has a AAA 2-diamond rating, which is why we didn't go directly there in the first place; however, the place worked extremely well for us and was immaculate. We wouldn't quite give it a 3-diamond rating because of the small size of the rooms, and the unavailability of coffee or a complimentary breakfast. It does deserve something better than a 2-diamond rating --- perhaps a 2 ½ -diamond rating would be accurate. It's a shame that AAA doesn't cut their ratings a bit finer to account for such places.

Area Restaurants: Smarley's Pizza, Pacific Grove, California Good
Allegro Pizza, Carmel, California Good

Old June 13th, 2005, 02:20 AM
Bill McKee

[...]

Since I day trip to Monterey, I won't comment on hotels. for Mexican Food
we like Chili Pepper in Pacific Grove. Clint Eastwood owns the Mission Inn
now, so the food quality may have improved. Have not been there for awhile,
but for breakfast of tea and scones, the Tuck Box in Carmel. for
sightseeing, rent a bike and peddle from The MB Aquarium to Pacific Grove.
Also nice of you like the water is to rent a kayak and paddle around the MB
Auarium area, can paddle up to the otters.

Old June 13th, 2005, 03:00 AM
Susan Wachob

I really like Asilomar. It's a conference center in Pacific Grove, very
near Monterey. They rent to others, not just conference attendees and
the room prices include a FULL breakfast.

They have a variety of housing choices- a row of rooms that are woodsy
and beautiful and many have fireplaces, a couple of old houses with
lovely common areas (I suppose these were living rooms), etc. It has the
general feeling of a camp ground for adults. It actually is a state park.

It's less than the length of a city block through the grounds to the
beach which, in this part of California, is breathtakingly gorgeous.
Just Google Asilomar to see it.

Enjoy your trip-

Susan

Old June 13th, 2005, 03:11 AM
Steve & Chris Clark

Yes I was talking about the Lighthouse Lodge, thank you.
Your suggestions are wonderful and thank you so much for going into such
detail because I greatly appreciate the feedback and suggestions.
You've confirmed my gut instinct about the Clarion.....I will definitely
check out the Cannery Row Inn too.
I thought Pacific Grove would actually be more convenient even though my
conference is in Monterey......my husband will sight see the 2 days I'm in
conference and I thought Pacific Grove sounded nicer.......hmmm....you've
really given me food for thought but the Clarion is out and thank you for
that!
If you have any other thoughts please continue.......
thanks again
Chris

Old June 13th, 2005, 03:11 AM
Steve & Chris Clark

These are three great posts!
Thanks guys!
You've all helped immensely so far.....
Chris

ink.net...

Old June 13th, 2005, 03:14 AM
Steve & Chris Clark

It was one of my choices.........no bookings available for the weekend I
need to be there.......
thanks though!
Chris

Old June 13th, 2005, 03:17 AM
Todd Michel McComb

In article ,
Steve & Chris Clark wrote:
my husband will sight see the 2 days I'm in conference and I thought
Pacific Grove sounded nicer

Pacific Grove is gorgeous, but there isn't a lot other than nature
there. It's quiet, if you like quiet. The Lighthouse Lodge is a
little north of Asilomar. Both are across the street from the
beach. Lighthouse Lodge is right on a city park/golf course,
actually, and nearer the lighthouse. We see deer at the golf course
sometimes. The bike path to Pacific Grove goes as far as Lover's
Point (which is a nice spot, and the Tinnery restaurant there is
pretty good, but I wouldn't call it "special"; there is also the
Bath House restaurant, which I've never tried, but is fancier), but
not all the way to Asilomar beach (about halfway). Also in Pacific
Grove are Robert's White House and Passionfish, both good restaurants
of the $20-something meal variety.

Old June 13th, 2005, 03:37 AM
Alan S

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 20:28:06 -0400, "mdrawson"
wrote:

$110/night incl tax

From memory, Monterey Travelodge, clean, acceptable, good
pool, using a voucher from a marketing magazine $29.

Cheers, Alan, Australia