Is there a newsgroup monitor or minder who deletes posts?

Old February 16th, 2004, 09:11 PM
RSL

Default Is there a newsgroup monitor or minder who deletes posts?

Who decides, or by what automatic computer-implemented criteria are posts
removed?

Is there a filter? I see an instance (wording in the subject )of what in
any culture I am acquainted with would be considered offensive language, so
perhaps there are no automatic filters or the threshhold is pretty lenient.

Old February 16th, 2004, 09:28 PM
Owain

"RSL" wrote
| Who decides, or by what automatic computer-implemented criteria are posts
| removed?

They aren't, at least AFAIK on this group. There are a few moderated groups
on Usenet.

| Is there a filter? I see an instance (wording in the subject )of what
| in any culture I am acquainted with would be considered offensive
| language, so perhaps there are no automatic filters or the threshhold
| is pretty lenient.

The point about Usenet is that it is propagated through thousands of servers
worldwide, unlike a website which has a static location (very large sites
may run on a cluster or group of servers, but the principle holds). Because
Usenet is worldwide it is very difficult to enforce something on it.

It is possible to issue Cancel commands but in theory only for messages you
have posted, and many servers ignore Cancel commands anyway.

You can usually set up filters or rules in your newsreader to ignore or hide
messages and threads that meet certain criteria, so you could make your own
naughty words rule.

Owain

Old February 16th, 2004, 09:53 PM
milesh

RSL wrote:

Who decides, or by what automatic computer-implemented criteria are posts
removed?

Is there a filter? I see an instance (wording in the subject )of what in
any culture I am acquainted with would be considered offensive language, so
perhaps there are no automatic filters or the threshhold is pretty lenient.

Most newsgroups do not have filters. Depending on your news reader you
can easily achieve such filtering far better than anyone else. I just
killfile some individuals or block an entire thread or even easier, just
ignore what I do not wish to read.

Old February 16th, 2004, 10:00 PM
Sönke Tesch

Someone wrote:

: Is there a filter? I see an instance (wording in the subject )of what in
: any culture I am acquainted with would be considered offensive
language, so
: perhaps there are no automatic filters or the threshhold is pretty
lenient.

We're all grown-ups here and can handle bad words appropriatly ourselves
with the help of something between our ears called brain. You should,
too. So, calm down and let the stupid kids play. And if you don't want
them to play, tell _them_ to stop playing instead of telling us what you
think everybody should be offended by.

Regards,
soenk.e
Old February 16th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Padraig Breathnach

"RSL" wrote:

Who decides, or by what automatic computer-implemented criteria are posts
removed?

Is there a filter? I see an instance (wording in the subject )of what in
any culture I am acquainted with would be considered offensive language, so
perhaps there are no automatic filters or the threshhold is pretty lenient.

Like most newsgroups, rec.travel.europe is unmoderated. So nobody and
no machine blocks or removes posts other than (a) by malfunction, or
(b) passage of time.

You need to learn to live with offensive language, political ranting,
and various ramblings. Nobody compels you read them, approve of them,
enjoy them, or reply to them. If they bother you, ignore them.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old February 16th, 2004, 10:13 PM
Padraig Breathnach

Sönke Tesch wrote:

So, calm down and let the stupid kids play. And if you don't want
them to play, tell _them_ to stop playing instead of telling us what you
think everybody should be offended by.

To be fair, RSL just asked a question, and didn't tell us what to
think.

I don't think that telling the stupid kids to stop playing is likely
to achieve much.

Old February 16th, 2004, 10:25 PM
JamesStep

Who decides, or by what automatic
computer-implemented criteria are posts removed?

Since this group isn't moderated, anyone can post a message to
it and there isn't any filter at that point. However, the Internet
Service Provider you use may use a filter to try to filter out some
spam posts and so forth, and you can filter to some extent with
the program you use to read the newsgroups. But certainly a lot
of stuff gets thru that many people find very offensive, and there
isn't much you can do about it.

In general, if you find the non-moderated groups to contain
content that's offensive to you, the best solution is just to
see if you can find a moderated group instead, or a discussion forum
at a web site which is moderated.

James

Remove "NOSPAM" from my address when sending me e-mail.
-
Old February 17th, 2004, 03:40 AM
nightjar

"Padraig Breathnach" wrote in message
You need to learn to live with offensive language, political ranting,
and various ramblings. Nobody compels you read them, approve of them,
enjoy them, or reply to them. If they bother you, ignore them.

... or set up a filter on your own newsreader.

Colin Bignell

Old February 17th, 2004, 05:28 AM
Hatunen

On 16 Feb 2004 16:53:16 EST, milesh
wrote:

RSL wrote:

Who decides, or by what automatic computer-implemented criteria are posts
removed?

Is there a filter? I see an instance (wording in the subject )of what in
any culture I am acquainted with would be considered offensive language, so
perhaps there are no automatic filters or the threshhold is pretty lenient.

Most newsgroups do not have filters. Depending on your news reader you
can easily achieve such filtering far better than anyone else. I just
killfile some individuals or block an entire thread or even easier, just
ignore what I do not wish to read.

No unmoderated newsgroup has a filter because newgroups don't
exist in any one place but are everywhere at once.
There is no newsgroup central. Every system or ISP carries its
own spool of newsgroups and articles which propagate in and out
to and from everywhere else.

Old February 17th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Reid

Following up to Padraig Breathnach

You need to learn to live with offensive language, political ranting,
and various ramblings. Nobody compels you read them, approve of them,
enjoy them, or reply to them.

Here? On this group? I'm shocked, shocked!
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso