Safe to visit mexico city?

Old July 28th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Ben Robinson

"yoni" wrote in message
oups.com...
I would like to go visit Mexico City, but I read online that there is
so much crime that I am having 2nd doubts. Kidnappings, robberies,
etc..

Anyone know if its any safer now? Is it worth the risk?

It's a great City, full of life and things to see and do. I found it no more
threatening than any other big city.

Ben

Old July 28th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Ben Robinson

"yoni" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well thank you for all the tips and again any more tips would be
appreciated (places to see, etc...)

-Yoni

My favourite place was the pyramid ruins further from the centre, the
northern pyramid and the place of the three cultures. It was so surreal to
see the remains of the pyramid nestling amongst highways, shops and offices,
far more dramatic I felt than the ruins at the Zocalo, though both are well
worth visiting.

Ben

Old July 28th, 2005, 06:09 PM
yoni

I will def. check that out! are there a lot of english spoken people?
or should I brush up on my spanish even more.

-Yoni

Old August 5th, 2005, 05:12 AM
yoni

did you guys see this:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americ....ap/index.html

is it still safe? ;-)

-yoni

Old August 5th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Technobarbarian

"yoni" wrote in message
oups.com...
did you guys see this:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americ....ap/index.html

is it still safe? ;-)

Safe is a relative term. While Mexico is number one in reported
kidnappings for ransom it's apparently number two in kidnappings per capita
at 1.85/million population, with Columbia in the number one spot with
4.1/million population. At this point it doesn't look like ordinary tourists
are being targeted.

tb

Old August 5th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Richard Ferguson

Whether Mexico City is number one or two in kidnapping, it is clear that
kidnapping is a significant issue in Mexico City and in other parts of
Mexico. Unlike Columbia, foreigners are not generally a specific
target, although recent disappearances in Nuevo Laredo have included
Americans.

Kidnapping in Mexico is not limited to rich folks, who mostly have
bodyguards and armored cars. The kidnapping publicity is mostly when
celebrities like the soccer coach are kidnapped, as happened a week or
two ago. The kidnappers have moved down to the middle class, looking
for quick and easy cash, in some cases just a few thousand dollars.

From a practical standpoint, taxi robberies, which often involve a
short-term kidnapping, are a larger hazard for tourists in Mexico City.

Richard

Old August 30th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Oliver Costich

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 20:34:42 GMT, "k" wrote:

A taxi robbery generally works something like this: The victim or
victims get into a taxi, usually a green VW beetle taxi. After a few
blocks, the taxi stops, and one or two armed men enter the taxi and
rob the victim. In many cases, the victim is held for hours while the
robbers use the victim's ATM card to get more money. This is
sometimes called an "express" kidnapping. In a few cases, the victim
is held overnight to allow withdrawing more money the next day. The
taxi driver is part of the gang, and may have stolen the taxi. In
some cases, a waiter or hotel employee may also be part of the gang.

This particular paragraph sounds very implausible to me. VW beetles are
very small vehicles with no back doors. Because of this simple fact, you
will always see a single passenger riding 'shotgun' in the front seat, and
only additional passengers sit in the back. How exactly would this allow
'one or two armed men' to enter the cab in the first place. If taxi crime
is your biggest worry, then don't take taxis at all. You can get abolutely
anywhere in the city just as fast by bus, and bus rides range in cost from
2.5 to 5 pesos, so half a buck max. Faster yet is the Metro, and it's huge,
though it doesn't cover a lot of spots away from downtown that would
interest a tourist.

Implausible but true. And it sure is a lot more fun to get robbed on a
bus than in a taxi.

Don't worry. I'm sure you'll learn to love the place just during the ride
in from the airport. The city is gorgeous, with wide streets, tons of shade
trees, and beautiful things everywhere. Just be careful crossing streets
where they meet at odd angles, because your 'walk' light won't mean much to
a driver who also has a green light.

Keith

Old August 30th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Oliver Costich

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 06:01:19 -0700, "Technobarbarian"
wrote:

"yoni" wrote in message
roups.com...
did you guys see this:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americ....ap/index.html

is it still safe? ;-)

Safe is a relative term. While Mexico is number one in reported
kidnappings for ransom it's apparently number two in kidnappings per capita
at 1.85/million population, with Columbia in the number one spot with
4.1/million population. At this point it doesn't look like ordinary tourists
are being targeted.

tb

Colombia had reduced its kidnapping rate so the "honor" now belongs to
Mexico.

Old September 7th, 2005, 06:21 AM
Salto Jorge

Mexico city is dangerous for everyone.

The taxi cab trick is very common, always sit in the front, watch out for fender
bumping when the cab can be blocked in the front and rear (get out quickly and
get away from there). Also do not permit the taxi to pick up additional
passengers and you move to the back seat. My god son from DF who drives a taxi
told me these few simple rules.

Watch out in markets or large parks where a group of people can gather near you,
get away from them since its very easy to get robbed, or kidnapped.

Dress to blend in, but not like a salesperson/business person.

Pick pockets are all over the place.

Everyone no matter where you are from is a target in DF, I was last there 5 years
ago.
My friends from DF now visit us in Sonora Mx. or Colorado USA.

Salto