China domestic air baggage

Old September 23rd, 2007, 10:48 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
wolf

Default China domestic air baggage

Is the 44 pounds allowance for checked baggage strictly enforced on
domestic air flights in China? Carry on baggage?

TIA

wolf
Old September 24th, 2007, 03:14 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article -
media.com, wolf says...

Is the 44 pounds allowance for checked baggage strictly enforced on
domestic air flights in China? Carry on baggage?

44 pounds = 20 Kg, right? That depends on the airline. Last year my
suitcase was over 20Kg and some airlines would make me pay the
surcharge, others would not ca

http://www.molon.de/travelogues/China/2006/

No Chinese airline has checked my cabin luggage.
--

Alfred Molon
Old September 30th, 2007, 07:29 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"Alfred Molon" kirjoitti
s.com...

44 pounds = 20 Kg, right? That depends on the airline. Last year my
suitcase was over 20Kg and some airlines would make me pay the
surcharge, others would not ca

Did you carry bars of lead in your suitcase?

Old September 30th, 2007, 10:03 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , Markku
Grönroos says...

Did you carry bars of lead in your suitcase?

The suitcase alone is 6-7Kg, then I carry computer and photographic gear
with me on trips. Very easy to go over 20Kg on an extended trip. Don't
forget that you have to be prepared for a number of possible climatic
situations, especially if you travel in both tropical places and high
altitude places at 5000m.
--

Alfred Molon
Old September 30th, 2007, 10:07 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
i.fi...

"Alfred Molon" kirjoitti
s.com...

44 pounds = 20 Kg, right? That depends on the airline. Last year my
suitcase was over 20Kg and some airlines would make me pay the
surcharge, others would not ca

Did you carry bars of lead in your suitcase?

I routinely carry a 'full load' in my suitcase.

Indeed I buy light weight suitcases because of this very problem.

If you travel a long way for a long time you do rather tend to carry a lot
of stuff.

Try buying decent chocolate in India or shampoo in the Gulf or good quality
spices in the UK and you'll discover why some people carry a great deal of
stuff.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old September 30th, 2007, 12:33 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , William Black
says...

Indeed I buy light weight suitcases because of this very problem.

What suitcase do you use and how heavy is it?

Any recommendation for a light, but robust suitcase with wheels (big
wheels, so that you can roll it over uneven terrain) ?

By the way, groceries are not really an issue. You'll be able to survive
without chocolate on a trip and one bottle of shampoo usually lasts for
3-4 weeks, so that you don't need to carry two. Also, contact lens stuff
(solutions etc.), shower gel and other toiletries can be easily found
everywhere, except for some very remote places.

You'd be surprised how easy it is sometimes to source things locally.
The power supply of my notebook computer broke two years ago while I was
in Lhasa (Tibet). Big problem, as I need the notebook to back up my
photos and write the travelogue.
I managed to find a store next to the hotel where I was staying where I
bought a multimeter, a soldering iron (cheap at 15 yuan/item) and some
other gear, which allowed me to temporarily fix the power supply.
http://www.molon.de/travelogues/Chin...art2.html#1710
--

Alfred Molon