rolex

Old December 4th, 2007, 04:19 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
pbein

Default rolex

where in India I assume Mumbai can you find a fake Rolex?????? or for
that matter any brand name.
Thanx!
Old December 4th, 2007, 04:32 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl[_2_]

"pbein" wrote in message
where in India I assume Mumbai can you find a fake Rolex?????? or for
that matter any brand name.
Thanx!

On almost any street corner.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old December 4th, 2007, 06:07 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Romeo Raabe

On Dec 4, 10:32 am, "grusl" wrote:
"pbein" wrote in message

where in India I assume Mumbai can you find a fake Rolex?????? or for
that matter any brand name.
Thanx!

On almost any street corner.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

If the plan is to bring it to the US, a recent Wall Street Journal
article said the US customs will ask if its a fake, and if so,
confiscate it. If you claim its not a fake, they will want duty on
its full retail price - far more in duty thatn what you paid, so
screwed either way.
Old December 4th, 2007, 06:17 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl[_2_]

"Romeo Raabe" wrote in message
On Dec 4, 10:32 am, "grusl" wrote:
"pbein" wrote in message

where in India I assume Mumbai can you find a fake Rolex?????? or for
that matter any brand name.
Thanx!

On almost any street corner.

If the plan is to bring it to the US, a recent Wall Street Journal
article said the US customs will ask if its a fake, and if so,
confiscate it. If you claim its not a fake, they will want duty on
its full retail price - far more in duty thatn what you paid, so
screwed either way.

In theory, perhaps, but how often has it actually occurred. I've never had a
customs officer from any country I've entered or left ask me about my watch.

As far as Mumbai goes, the OP could try the backpacker areas of Colaba and
Apollo Bunder, the Pheroze Shah Marg area (near Ballard Estate) or around
Crawford Market in the northern reaches of Fort.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old December 4th, 2007, 06:36 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"Romeo Raabe" kirjoitti
On Dec 4, 10:32 am, "grusl" wrote:
"pbein" wrote in message

where in India I assume Mumbai can you find a fake Rolex?????? or for
that matter any brand name.
Thanx!

On almost any street corner.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

If the plan is to bring it to the US, a recent Wall Street Journal
article said the US customs will ask if its a fake, and if so,
confiscate it. If you claim its not a fake, they will want duty on
its full retail price - far more in duty thatn what you paid, so
screwed either way.

In a case the US customs probe travellers' wrists (which I doubt), losing a
watch worth a few pennies is not a big loss at all. Worth the "risk", I
reckon. And naturally the street vendor gave you a receipt. No problems
there.

Old December 4th, 2007, 07:37 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
LarbGai

*****Go away you racist pig.
Old December 4th, 2007, 08:04 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
PeterL

On Dec 4, 10:32 am, "grusl" wrote:
"pbein" wrote in message

where in India I assume Mumbai can you find a fake Rolex?????? or for
that matter any brand name.
Thanx!

On almost any street corner.

If the plan is to bring it to the US, a recent Wall Street Journal
article said the US customs will ask if its a fake, and if so,
confiscate it. If you claim its not a fake, they will want duty on
its full retail price - far more in duty thatn what you paid, so
screwed either way.

In theory, perhaps, but how often has it actually occurred. I've never had a
customs officer from any country I've entered or left ask me about my watch.

It only takes once.

As far as Mumbai goes, the OP could try the backpacker areas of Colaba and
Apollo Bunder, the Pheroze Shah Marg area (near Ballard Estate) or around
Crawford Market in the northern reaches of Fort.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore- Hide quoted text -

Old December 4th, 2007, 08:18 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl

On Dec 4, 10:32 am, "grusl" wrote:
"pbein" wrote in message

where in India I assume Mumbai can you find a fake Rolex?????? or for
that matter any brand name.
Thanx!

On almost any street corner.

If the plan is to bring it to the US, a recent Wall Street Journal
article said the US customs will ask if its a fake, and if so,
confiscate it. If you claim its not a fake, they will want duty on
its full retail price - far more in duty thatn what you paid, so
screwed either way.

In theory, perhaps, but how often has it actually occurred. I've never had a
customs officer from any country I've entered or left ask me about my watch.

It only takes once.

The risk seems ridiculously minimal, nonetheless

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore
Old December 4th, 2007, 08:48 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
PTravel[_1_]

On Dec 4, 10:32 am, "grusl" wrote:
"pbein" wrote in message

where in India I assume Mumbai can you find a fake Rolex?????? or for
that matter any brand name.
Thanx!

On almost any street corner.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

If the plan is to bring it to the US, a recent Wall Street Journal
article said the US customs will ask if its a fake, and if so,
confiscate it. If you claim its not a fake, they will want duty on
its full retail price - far more in duty thatn what you paid, so
screwed either way.

Either the WSJ is wrong or you misunderstood the article. Customs does not
seize fakes if they are in single-unit quantities and for personal use.

From the U.S. Customs website:

"However, travelers arriving in the United States may be permitted an
exemption and allowed to import one article of each type, which must
accompany the person, bearing a counterfeit, confusingly similar or
restricted gray market trademark, provided that the article is for personal
use and is not for sale.

"This exemption may be granted not more than once every 30 days. The
arriving passenger may retain one article of each type accompanying the
person. For example, an arriving person who has three purses, whether each
bears a different infringing trademark, or whether all three bear the same
infringing trademark, is permitted only one purse. If the article imported
under the personal exemption provision is sold within one year after the
date of importation, the article or its value is subject to forfeiture."

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/va...hte dArticles

Old December 4th, 2007, 10:18 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
PeterL

On Dec 4, 10:32 am, "grusl" wrote:
"pbein" wrote in message

where in India I assume Mumbai can you find a fake Rolex?????? or for
that matter any brand name.
Thanx!

On almost any street corner.

If the plan is to bring it to the US, a recent Wall Street Journal
article said the US customs will ask if its a fake, and if so,
confiscate it. If you claim its not a fake, they will want duty on
its full retail price - far more in duty thatn what you paid, so
screwed either way.

In theory, perhaps, but how often has it actually occurred. I've never had a
customs officer from any country I've entered or left ask me about my watch.

It only takes once.

The risk seems ridiculously minimal, nonetheless

Risk reward ratio. What's the reward? I can never understand the
draw of a faked Rolax. Does it tell people how rich you are with a
faked Rolex? It's not a good watch. I don't get it.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore- Hide quoted text -