Medications in Germany

Old May 7th, 2010, 11:25 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

Default Medications in Germany

On Fri, 07 May 2010 12:07:10 +0200, Martin wrote in post :
:

Tim C. wrote:
On Fri, 07 May 2010 10:59:00 +0200, Martin wrote in post :
:

When my son was sick in Germany when he was one, a doctor prescribed an
adult sized suppository. One size fits all?

You were probably supposed to cut it in half :-)

length wise? )

It only contained aspirin. We binned it.

yep. If your son was having trouble keeping things down a suppository can
be a good idea. Absorbed quickly and with fewer side effects in many
situations and often the drugs can be given in lower doses then orally. I
don't really understand people's opposition to them.

--
Tim C.
The man who treats a homonym as a synonym has a pun in 'im.
Old May 7th, 2010, 12:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Martin[_11_]

Tim C. wrote:
On Fri, 07 May 2010 10:59:00 +0200, Martin wrote in post :
:

When my son was sick in Germany when he was one, a doctor prescribed an
adult sized suppository. One size fits all?
You were probably supposed to cut it in half :-)

length wise? )

It only contained aspirin. We binned it.

yep. If your son was having trouble keeping things down a suppository can
be a good idea. Absorbed quickly and with fewer side effects in many
situations and often the drugs can be given in lower doses then orally. I
don't really understand people's opposition to them.

Have you ever tried using one when you are in a bus?
Old May 7th, 2010, 12:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Fri, 07 May 2010 13:10:02 +0200, Martin wrote in post :
:

Tim C. wrote:
On Fri, 07 May 2010 10:59:00 +0200, Martin wrote in post :
:

When my son was sick in Germany when he was one, a doctor prescribed an
adult sized suppository. One size fits all?
You were probably supposed to cut it in half :-)
length wise? )

It only contained aspirin. We binned it.

yep. If your son was having trouble keeping things down a suppository can
be a good idea. Absorbed quickly and with fewer side effects in many
situations and often the drugs can be given in lower doses then orally. I
don't really understand people's opposition to them.

Have you ever tried using one when you are in a bus?

No. Not yet. :-)

Have you tried taking medicine orally when you're throwing up all the time?
They're not perfect, but neither are tablets either.

--
Tim C.
You have to know lots be an auctioneer.
Old May 7th, 2010, 12:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Martin[_11_]

Tim C. wrote:
On Fri, 07 May 2010 10:59:00 +0200, Martin wrote in post :
:

When my son was sick in Germany when he was one, a doctor prescribed an
adult sized suppository. One size fits all?
You were probably supposed to cut it in half :-)
length wise? )

It only contained aspirin. We binned it.
yep. If your son was having trouble keeping things down a suppository can
be a good idea. Absorbed quickly and with fewer side effects in many
situations and often the drugs can be given in lower doses then orally. I
don't really understand people's opposition to them.

Have you ever tried using one when you are in a bus?

No. Not yet. :-)

Have you tried taking medicine orally when you're throwing up all the time?
They're not perfect, but neither are tablets either.

It explains why the Lederer family always travel in a bus with a bathroom.
Old May 7th, 2010, 11:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Martin[_11_]

Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:
Martin wrote in
:

Lava wrote:
Thank you so very much! It will be in Germany. So I guess I will do
that.

I love this group!

If you have to go to a Geramn hospital in an emergency and have non
German private insurance you can have problems. I did.

How so? As far as I know, private patients pay everything cash and get
compensated from their insurance later by presenting them the receipt
for the treatment.

The administration of the hospital in Friedrichshaven insisted on having
my bank account number. My non German bank account number had a format
the wasn't compatible with their forms/computer. I don't normally carry
enough cash for a major operation and two weeks in a hospital. They
wouldn't accept credit cards. They also didn't recognise my private
insurance company.
This was more than ten years ago, maybe things have changed with IBAN.

The hospital doesn't really know or care if you are
actually insured privately or if you pay yourself. So as long as you
pay, they're happy. And as long as they hand you a receipt, you should
be happy. What went wrong?

The administration of the hospital wasn't set up for foreign bank accounts.
Luckily the medical staff had more sense and were extremely good.

Old May 10th, 2010, 08:21 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Fri, 7 May 2010 22:00:03 +0200, Wolfgang Schwanke wrote in post :
:

Martin wrote in
:

Lava wrote:
Thank you so very much! It will be in Germany. So I guess I will do
that.

I love this group!

If you have to go to a Geramn hospital in an emergency and have non
German private insurance you can have problems. I did.

How so? As far as I know, private patients pay everything cash and get
compensated from their insurance later by presenting them the receipt
for the treatment. The hospital doesn't really know or care if you are
actually insured privately or if you pay yourself. So as long as you
pay, they're happy. And as long as they hand you a receipt, you should
be happy. What went wrong?

It was a few years ago now, but my experiences of German hospitals was
somewhere during the treatment they asked who I was insured with, I said a
UK private company and they asked for the address, sent the bill there. I
never paid a thing.

--
Tim C.
You know what's a dangerous place to swim? The Hepatitis C
Old May 10th, 2010, 08:22 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Fri, 7 May 2010 22:00:40 +0200, Wolfgang Schwanke wrote in post :
:

"Erick T. Barkhuis" wrote
in :

Then, there is the option to get pain medication from Holland

"Pain medication", is that what's it's called now? Sorry

"I'm not in enough pain, gimme something for it!"
--
Tim C.
In the butchers the other day and he said to be "I bet you 10 quid can't
Old May 10th, 2010, 09:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Martin[_11_]

Giovanni Drogo wrote:
On Fri, 7 May 2010, Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:

How so? As far as I know, private patients pay everything cash and get
compensated from their insurance later by presenting them the receipt
for the treatment.

When I was working in Germany for an international organization, many
years ago, I had an insurance paid by such organization. I never needed
hospital care, but for other medical care I always told them I had such
insurance.

I think we probably had the same insurer.

I remember I received a bill at home well after the end of the
treatment, and I paid it via bank transfer, then applied to the
insurance company for refund.

I remember the bill contained a detailed list of items, with some sort
of standard code, each one with a "standard price" and a "multiplier".
Is it still the case ?

I wondered if truly private patients, paying on their own, would have a
multiplier of 1.0 instead of a somewhat higher value as I was getting.

I eventually paid when I got home. I suspected at the time that the
hospital administration had had a bad experience with a foreigner who
hadn't paid.