the easy way to use a stolen credit card

Old December 20th, 2006, 11:04 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway
[email protected]

Default the easy way to use a stolen credit card

Tesco self service tills did have some form of limit before they were
fitted with PIN pads. Above a certain figure the machine summoned an
attendant and you had to sign the till slip. Don't know what it was -
£50 maybe?

Old December 20th, 2006, 11:22 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway
[email protected]

My girlfriend bought a couple of rail tickets yesterday from one of
the vending machines in Waverley Station, Edinburgh. An extremely
simple procedu select where you want to go, what sort of ticket
you want, insert card, tickets dispensed.

No you didn't miss a step. It *didn't* ask for a PIN.

Stevenage Station (run by FCC but with a GNER booking office) has 7
ticket machines, 6 FirstGroup ones, and one GNER. All ask for a PIN
now, though they didn't until about a year ago.

Old December 20th, 2006, 11:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
DaveM

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 11:17:57 -0700, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

My girlfriend bought a couple of rail tickets yesterday from one of
the vending machines in Waverley Station, Edinburgh. An extremely
simple procedu select where you want to go, what sort of ticket
you want, insert card, tickets dispensed.

Same thing happens at the gas pump, here in the U.S.! It's
true some "pay at the pump" facilities DO ask for the
cardholder's zip code, but by no means all of them.

Which is a heck of a pain if you happen to come from outside the US. My post
code was rejected on several attempts, and I had to chat to the cashier
through the intercom. After that it was plain sailing, to be fair.

DaveM
Old December 20th, 2006, 11:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
DaveM

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 14:15:19 GMT, Chris Hills wrote:

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
My girlfriend bought a couple of rail tickets yesterday from one of
the vending machines in Waverley Station, Edinburgh. An extremely
simple procedu select where you want to go, what sort of ticket
you want, insert card, tickets dispensed.

Same happens when using a card instead of a paper ticket in NCP car
parks in the UK.
The amount is not likely to be very much. However on one occasion using
one of these car parks, on my way out, the barriers were broken so they
were left open. When I returned to the car park the following time, I
could not enter using my card. I found out later that as far as the
system was concerned I was still in the car park! That would have been a
heck of a charge.

I'm impressed you _weren't_ charged...

DaveM
Old December 22nd, 2006, 12:54 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.consumers.misc
Tony Day

"Tom Peel" wrote in message
Mika schrieb:
On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 17:37:31 +0000, Jack Campin - bogus address
wrote:

My girlfriend bought a couple of rail tickets yesterday from one of
the vending machines in Waverley Station, Edinburgh. An extremely
simple procedu select where you want to go, what sort of ticket
you want, insert card, tickets dispensed.

No you didn't miss a step. It *didn't* ask for a PIN.

How the hell can that be legal?

How the hell is it even *possible*?

Noticed similar prodedure when paying for parking in Stockholm and
crossing the bridge from Sweden to Denmark. No PIN code entered, and
toll was nearly 50 euros, if I remember correctly.

I was also kind of worried what someone could do with a stolen card...

Mika

What a very odd thing to worry about!

Tony

Old December 22nd, 2006, 01:01 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway
Tony Day

"Ian" wrote in message
ps.com...
No you didn't miss a step. It *didn't* ask for a PIN.

the procedure you just describe is standard for every vending machine I
know
that accepts CC payment. I have never been using the PIN of any of my
CCs,
and I think I would only need it with ATMs.

Then you will get a surprise if you buy a travel card from the machine
I used in Marble Arch station last week - it has a PIN pad by the card
reader.

As has Earl's Court for *many* months.

Tony

Old December 22nd, 2006, 02:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.consumers.misc
Andrew

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
My girlfriend bought a couple of rail tickets yesterday from one of
the vending machines in Waverley Station, Edinburgh. An extremely
simple procedu select where you want to go, what sort of ticket
you want, insert card, tickets dispensed.
No you didn't miss a step. It *didn't* ask for a PIN.

The machines are gradually being retrofitted with pin-pads.

They have touchscreens, the hardware could already do the data entry
bit. Maybe what they're missing is the chip reader.

My experience is with the scotrail ticket machines, though i've seen the
virgin fasttickets with the same design pad. The card goes in the slot
as it did before, and the pad prompts when the pin is needed. It's also
at a nice wheelchair-friendly height making me need to bend over to see
the display clearly.

A.