Miami Beach ... looking for hotel / motel next week or two

Old January 18th, 2004, 05:58 PM
- Bobb -

Default Miami Beach ... looking for hotel / motel next week or two

I am looking to spend a week in Miami Beach area and need help finding a
hotel.
Cost is a factor. Just a quick getaway - looking to do it inexpensively.
I'll be going alone (to get out out this xx'ing cold in Boston) and "want to
play tourist" in Miami Beach. (small enough to see it all for a short trip
?) I go fishing a few times a year in the Keys - but have only ever had
lunch/spent the afternoon at Miami Beach.

I'm not one of the beautiful people and will NOT be going to the clubs at
1AM as seen on the travel channel - in fact I don't drink but a few beers a
year. Just to play tourist - see the beaches (Sunny Isles, Haulover, Miami,
South Beach) and any landmarks - maybe Key Biscayne .

I have the AAA book in front of me looking for hotels, but have been looking
around for second opinions on the net and most (if not all) of the
reasonably priced places have reviews like "disgusting", "horrifying",
"dirty sheets - hair still on the bed", "I forfeited my pre-payment to NOT
stay there" etc . (tripadvisor.com especially)

I'd like suggestions of :
1. where to stay :
-- a clean, quiet room at $75-$100/night (with 'un-snowy' TV channels for
news, or a rainy night). Don't care about a pool.
-- a restaurant onsite or nearby ( I like spicy food - any suggestions?)
-- FREE parking ( I see the range from free to $30/night, but can't
figure out a scheme)
-- I'm thinking I'll find this more towards FLL / Miami Beach/north as
opposed to South Beach
--- How about a "guesstimate of safe areas" like 'stay on xyz street
between 60th and 92nd streets'. Don't go near B st etc
-- Should I stay "in the suburbs" and commute each day. If so, where ? Bus,
cab,etc ?
-- Or not get a car at all - stay at the beach and "depend on tours" - I'm
sure they exist at/near the hotels.

2. What to do /see ?:

Opinions ? I'm thinking 4-5 days. How many days to allow ?
or for a 4-5 day trip what to see /skip ?

Thanks,
Bobb

Old January 18th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Me

In article fPzOb.79867$sv6.183513@attbi_s52,
"- Bobb -" wrote:

[...]

I stayed at the Days Inn in at 11th Street in South Beach. It was nice.
Right on the beach and its own pool. The rates there might be a little
out of your price range. If so, try putting a bid in with Priceline.
Old January 19th, 2004, 01:59 AM
- Bobb -

I'm looking at the Breakwater online - rather than 6 nights, think I'll do 3
there and 3 "north of there" - and skip renting a car - any suggestions
toward Sunny Isles, Miami Beach ?

bobb

Old January 19th, 2004, 05:03 PM
John Ramsay

- Bobb - wrote:

[...]

We did a budget fly-drive a couple of years ago,
4-5 days.

- Motel in Homestead - $40- a night. Comfort Inn with
fridge and microwave. Free parking. Walmart nearby
for groceries.
- Car rental - $40- a day.
- About a 1 1/2 hour drive to South Beach if
you avoid rush hour.
- Allow $10- 15 for parking in South Beach.
- Either take snacks or eat at the 3rd St Deli.
- Also some reasonable Cuban restaurants
in the area for spicy.
- Less than an hour from the motel to Key Largo
where Pennekamp Park has nice beaches and
an aquarium - $2- admission and parking.
- Crack'd'Conch restaurant just south
of Pennekamp on U.S. 1 is in the $5- to $10-
range for lunch. $15- and up for dinner.
- I also highly recommend the snorkel trip
out of Key Largo with Keys Diver, about
$35- for a 5 hour trip, 3 hours in the water.
- Keys Diver office is right next to Wendys
if you want a cheaper meal than Crack'd'Conch -
Old January 24th, 2004, 02:12 PM
- Bobb -

I ended up booking at:

1. Normandy Inn (No. Miami Beach) for a few days
then
2. The Breakwater at South beach for a few days.

Old February 5th, 2004, 04:57 AM
- Bobb -

Default Miami Beach ... hotel trip report

Trip over... back home - hotel / food info :

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
I ended up booking at:

1. Normandy Inn (No. Miami Beach) for a few days $90/night online

Was actually in Sunny Isles, Fla. It was OK. Weather - rained so I didn't
use the outdoor pool. The room DID have a jacuzzi tub - and it worked
nicely. Room #827 - on north side of hotel so my view was diagonal view to
ocean and the nearby shopping centers, tower condos They have a buffett in
the hotel for breakfast - $8 and very good - custom made omelets, juice,
coffee, grits, pancakes, saugage, French Toast, cereals etc. Had leisurely
breakfast each morning while reading a free paper (from front desk) and
wasn't hungry all day. There wasn't much nearby so I rented a car across
the street at Enterprise - $90 for 48 hours. I went to Fort Lauderdale and
Key Biscayne and a bit of Miami in that time. This hotel has timeshares so a
lot of folks "live there" for a month or two or three. 4 days was plenty.
Nearby restaurants - Tony Roma's - very good casual dining.
across from hotel - Emerald Coast Buffett - chinese food - don't bother.
Yeah it's all you want , but I didn't want most of it. Costs $14 - worth $5.
I tried a bit of it and none of it was very good.

then
2. The Breakwater at South beach for a few days.

Hotel / dining info:
Right on South Beach - Room #206 cost $105/night online. I booked a King,
no smoking - got there and had a "queen , no smoking" - with matches in the
ashtrays in the room. Entire hotel smelled of stale air. It's an old
hotel - no windows in long corridor hallways. I went to my room and opened
the window a bit, turned the AC on high and turned on the bathroom fan. I
came back 4-5 hours later and although the hotel air was the same , MY room
had been ventilated fine. I left the AC on and the fan on 24 hrs a day. I
had earplugs , so it didn't bother me sleeping at night. This place is run
on a shoestring. The rug from the lobby to the first floor looks like it was
dirty a year ago and it's still hasn't been cleaned. A can of woolite rug
cleaner would go a long way. First day, after checking in (about 2PM) and
getting into the room, I noticed - I have no towels. I tracked down the
chambermaids and I was told that the towels are "still getting washed", so
apparently they don't have enough to give everyone new towels without doing
laundry . It is a good location (which is why I chose it). I didn't eat
there - so no opinion of "on sidewalk restaurant".
TV - intermittent snow - play with cable a bit and then it would come in
OK - for about 10 minutes - then screeeching sound (feedback) from speaker -
luckily I did not watch much TV.

The only place that I DID eat dinner was at the Pelican cafe one night - a
beer and a chicken caesar salad and for dessert a fruit bowl with vanilla
ice cream - very good - service excellent. ($25+tip)

For lunch one day - Joe's Stone Crab - (again - near start of Collins Ave) .
Mahi-mahi sandwich $7.
Excellent. Talking to locals and they told me to go to Big Pink , so ...

For breakfast one morning went to the "Big Pink" at the start of Collins
Ave. Omelets - $5 (ham and cheese $1 each) + coffee + toast = $9 +tip. Be
careful - the omelets are Five eggs ! I ate maybe half of the omelet. Very
good service and food.

-- Or not get a car at all - stay at the beach and "depend on tours" -
I'm sure they exist at/near the hotels.

The tours weren't what I thought. They left from hotels but covered the
entire city in an hour. Not what I planned on, so I didn't bother.

I walked all around South Beach as I planned - Ocean Drive, Collins Ave so I
had no car while there, but that was fine. I DID call SuperShuttle the day
before my departure from south beach for a ride to the airport. $14 from
South Beach vs ~$40 for a cab. It DID take longer than a cab since it made a
few stops on the way back, but I allowed for it. It took a little over an
hour to get to the airport - spent the time talking to others - comparing
notes about Miami. I used Supershuttle when I arrived too. It was $17 to
Sunny Isles (vs $35 for cab).

Opinions ? I'm thinking 4-5 days. How many days to allow ?

Total vacation time was 6 days - 3 full days in Sunny Isles, (with a rental
car for 2 of those days) and 2 full days in South Beach. + travel time.
That was plenty.

Bobb

Thanks,
Bobb

Old February 5th, 2004, 05:23 AM
Miguel Cruz

- Bobb - wrote:
I walked all around South Beach as I planned - Ocean Drive, Collins Ave so I
had no car while there, but that was fine. I DID call SuperShuttle the day
before my departure from south beach for a ride to the airport. $14 from
South Beach vs ~$40 for a cab. It DID take longer than a cab since it made a
few stops on the way back, but I allowed for it. It took a little over an
hour to get to the airport

FWIW it also takes around an hour to get from South Beach to the airport via
public bus, under $2 as I recall.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/