Banff & Drumheller

Old March 25th, 2004, 02:03 AM
David Fleischer

Default Banff & Drumheller

I was looking at going to Banff this summer and was told that Drumheller is
also worth seeing.

Now, I gather that Banff and Drumheller are each about 90 min from Calgary
but on opposite sides.

Is it practical or worth the effort to:
-spend a few nights in Banff
-leave in the morning to go to Drumheller
-spend the day there
-drive to Calgary
-spend the night there
-spend the morning there and fly home in the afternoon

Or is that just too much effort to see some dinosaur bones?

Thanks,
David

Old March 25th, 2004, 06:14 AM
arlene

Its the Terrell Museum in Drumheller. Its a world class museum and well
worth the trip. Don't miss it.

Arlene

Old March 25th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Jeff Lanam

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 02:03:49 GMT, "David Fleischer"
wrote:

I was looking at going to Banff this summer and was told that Drumheller is
also worth seeing.

Or is that just too much effort to see some dinosaur bones?

Besides the Royal Tyrell Museum itself, which is a wonderful museum
and worth the drive, they have activities that let you go out into the
badlands where many of the fossils were found. You can even help with
a dig. Personally, I'd skip Banff and spend more time there. I've
seen a mountain. But that's just me.
Old March 25th, 2004, 11:10 PM
Aramis

David;

Nope, it doesn't seem worth it.

Why would you only spend an evening and morning in Calgary? Your trip
clearly ends, there, and probably starts there, too. It is worth more than
half a day.

It would take you 3 1/2 hours to drive from Banff to Drumheller, so you
wouldn't get there till about noon. You'd get half a day and then 1 1/2
hours worth of drive back to Calgary. If it's all the time you have it would
be worth the day if you don't mind ending your vacation with 5 hours
driving. It is a world class dinosaur site, including the museum and the
Badlands scenery is great, too.

It sounds as if you only have a week in the area and want to squeeze in
Drumheller before leaving. Is that right?

able.rogers.com...

Old March 26th, 2004, 02:11 AM
David Fleischer

It sounds as if you only have a week in the area and want to squeeze in
Drumheller before leaving. Is that right?

Basically - I have 5 nights and since Drumheller is (relatively) close I
thought maybe it could be squeezed in - doing 4 nights in Banff instead of
5.

It sounds like it can be done but with a lot of driving...

Oh - and Jeff, I live in Toronto so I haven't seen a mountain - hence the
idea go to Banff. No offense to Drumheller but I wouldn't fly across the
continent just to see the Badlands. I'm just trying to see if it is feasible
to do them also...

David

Old March 26th, 2004, 08:46 PM
Larry Finch

David Fleischer wrote:

I was looking at going to Banff this summer and was told that Drumheller is
also worth seeing.

Now, I gather that Banff and Drumheller are each about 90 min from Calgary
but on opposite sides.

Is it practical or worth the effort to:
-spend a few nights in Banff
-leave in the morning to go to Drumheller
-spend the day there
-drive to Calgary
-spend the night there
-spend the morning there and fly home in the afternoon

Or is that just too much effort to see some dinosaur bones?

Speaking as a docent at the American Museum of Natural History in NYC, The
Royal Terrell museum in Drumheller is a "must see" experience. It's well worth
the 3 hours round trip drive from Calgary.

Larry
--
Larry Finch

N 40° 53' 47"
W 74° 03' 56"

Old March 26th, 2004, 10:11 PM
DiggerDog

If you're there at the right time and can spend the night,
Drumheller has a terrific little theatre
outside town called the Rosebud. They served a dinner before the
play
and we thoroughly enjoyed our evening there a couple of years
ago.

http://www.rosebudtheatre.com/

Old April 20th, 2004, 03:14 AM
jj

I'd say that if you have the time do it. I have absolutly no regrets over
Drumheller. I just wish I had more time to spend there.
you can find some photos from my trip he
http://www.jacksnest.com/trip/ - and click on "Drumheller" on the map.