Zion or Bryce?

Old April 1st, 2004, 12:10 AM
MadHatter

Default Zion or Bryce?

Given the limited amount of time that you have, I'd think that Zion
would fit in a little better since it's on your way. We took a short
trip to Zion earlier this month. I've got some pictures if you're
interested in a preview of what you'd be seeing.

http://www.pbase.com/madhatter/zion
Old April 1st, 2004, 01:57 AM
adjgiulio

"MadHatter" wrote in message
om...
Given the limited amount of time that you have, I'd think that Zion
would fit in a little better since it's on your way. We took a short
trip to Zion earlier this month. I've got some pictures if you're
interested in a preview of what you'd be seeing.

http://www.pbase.com/madhatter/zion

Nice photos! I specially liked the Oregon's Waterfalls gallery. Which of
those waterfalls are "absolutely not to be missed" for first time tourist?

Ciao, Giulio

Old April 1st, 2004, 04:42 AM
John Traynor

"Heather Morrison" wrote in message
In late May/early June we will be driving from the North Rim of the Grand
Canyon over to Las Vegas. We have one day and wanted to make the most of

it.
Should we spend any time we have in Bryce Canyon or Zion? If so ...which
one? We were headed towards Zion. We don't have time to add and extra day.

We will already have driving from Vegas to the South Rim...over to the

North
Rim and seen Monument Valley etc.

thanks for any help...

toodles

HeatherM

I assume you're traveling from the North Rim to overnight in Vegas so, as
some suggested incorrectly, you will not have time for either sunrise or
sunset at Bryce or Zion. Closer to Vegas are 2 areas worth considering as a
wrap-up to your vacation.
http://www.redrockcanyon.blm.gov/
http://parks.nv.gov/vf.htm

Red Rock Canyon would be my choice.

The problem with any visit to the American West is that a lifetime is not
enough time to do it justice.

Old April 1st, 2004, 05:54 PM
Rqf

You might reconsider visiting the North Rim since you will have
visited the South Rim. Skip the North RIm - I don't think many people
find it necessary to visit both on the same trip. If you skip the NR
you will have time for a visit to Bryce and Zion both and visiting
both is worth an almost redundant visit to the NR. You didn't mention
how much time is being devoted to Monument Valley. It is a worthwhile
visit but you can see most of the Valley in a half day visit. . Check
to see if you can route yourself through Death Valley when you travel
from Sequoia to Las vegas. It is worth a drive through of a few hours.
Did Sequoia and Kings Canyon a few years back in June - Didn't see
much of Kings because of heavy winter snows that blocked some of the
roads.

Have done the Southwest four times in the 90's. You can e mail me if
you have any questions.
Old April 1st, 2004, 06:19 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Rqf" wrote in message
om...
You might reconsider visiting the North Rim since you will have
visited the South Rim. Skip the North RIm - I don't think many people
find it necessary to visit both on the same trip.

I have to disagree. The North Rim has an entirely different
feel, its quieter for one thing and the 1000ft elevation
change makes a real difference to the views

Keith

Old April 1st, 2004, 07:44 PM
Exiled Canuck

As a fellow Haligonian now living in San Diego, I couldn't resist
chiming in with my 2 cents (US). There are two things to keep in mind
in MHO.

First, the extraordinary senery at each of the locations you are
planning to visit will blow you away. San Diego is breathtaking, the
Grand Canyon is out of this world, and Zion & Bryce are each worth
days of exploration on their own.

Second, Distance and driving. The driving bewteen Las Vegas, Grand
Canyon, and Utah is all long and mostly boring. The drive from the
Grand Canyon up to Zion and Bryce is very long and although it
contains some amazing sites, is still draining. Bryce Canyon is a few
additional hours north of Zion and also requires that you climb to
over 9000 ft, which for Bluenosers like us is usually very exhausting.

My adice is to limit the number of locations and enjoy the ones you
choose. I would cut out the North Rim, Monument Valley, and Bryce,
leaving only the South Rim and Zion. I know this seems too drastic,
but I think you will be shocked at the incredible beauty of these two
locations and realize that the American Southwest is place to return
to again and again.
Old April 1st, 2004, 11:42 PM
Heather Morrison

"Exiled Canuck" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Hi Fellow Bluenoser,

Well, we have considered what you have said too. We now know we will be back
so we decided this may be somewhat of a scouting mission. My Danish
compatriot has been to the GC before. He had a one night scamper to the
South Rim from Vegas.

I do agree with you that we will be scooting through the area but I think
this will make us able to return and not feel that pressure to go to places
like Monument Valley or the North Rim again.

As far as altitude driving is concerned. We have spent many years touring
throughout Europe in our car there. Lot's of mountain treks and adventures.
I lived and worked in the Canadian Rockies (like all good bluenose college
students) for many summers hitching may way through the many mountain
passes. So altitude sickness will be minimal. *G*

I think after reading all the info we have decided to skip Bryce this trip.
We also want to come back and go to Antelope Canyon etc. Next time starting
this adventure further north than San Diego and venturing further into Utah.

So there by' when are you going to get home to wet your heels in the
Atlantic? It's going to be a great summer here with the Acadian Congress
happening and another Tall Ships Parade of Sail. Plenty of Keith's on
tap...and the lobster is out there just waiting to jump in the traps.

Did you miss Juan and her sister Juanita (White Juan)? I still have Juanita
snowbanks around my place! We are waiting for the triplet to arrive...not
sure what form this "offspring" will take. It's been a messy year up
here...but then we maritimers know how to make a party of it!

thanks again for your bluenoser to bluenoser advice...it has been heard...

toodles

HeatherM

Old April 2nd, 2004, 01:28 AM
MadHatter

Nice photos! I specially liked the Oregon's Waterfalls gallery. Which of
those waterfalls are "absolutely not to be missed" for first time tourist?

Ciao, Giulio

Thanks. I'd really like to go back now that I've got a better camera.

I guess that it depends on what part of Oregon you'd be visiting, how
convenient a hike you're looking for and what type of falls intersts
you the most. There are some places where you could see quite a few
in a day. I'm only familiar with the Cascades region, but if you know
where you'll be, I could come up with some suggestions.

I think that a couple of the falls that I'd most want to see again are
Watson and Elowah.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 02:56 AM
adjgiulio

"MadHatter" wrote in message
om...

Thanks. I'd really like to go back now that I've got a better camera.

I guess that it depends on what part of Oregon you'd be visiting, how
convenient a hike you're looking for and what type of falls intersts
you the most. There are some places where you could see quite a few
in a day. I'm only familiar with the Cascades region, but if you know
where you'll be, I could come up with some suggestions.

Well, I just settled down in Seattle after a life in Rome, Italy. I'm
planning a 20 days trip in July. I'm basically thinking to drive from
Seattle to Mt. St. Helens and then reach the coast and drive south till the
Redwood NP, CA. Then east to Lassen Volcanic NP, north to Lava Beds NM and
Crater Lake. From there I'd like to explore some of the beautiful Oregon's
scenic byways driving east till the Hells Canyon NRA and come back west to
Portland. Then again north to Seattle. Up to now I've highlighted some spot
I'd like to see as Oregon Cave NM, Toketee falls, Smith Rock SP, John Day
fossils beds, Silver Falls SP, Columbia River Gorge plus all the best State
Parks along the Pacif coast.

Well, which kind of waterfalls I'm interest the most in? Mmmm...I would say
the most scenic. It would be also great if the waterfall wasn't in those
kind of places directly reachable by car with thousands screaming tourists
taking photos and making noise. I'd prefere a some miles long hike and a
peaceful place (anyway as peaceful as a beautiful well know waterfall can
be...).

Thanks for help

Giulio

Old April 2nd, 2004, 03:17 AM
Heather Morrison

"MadHatter" wrote in message
om...
Given the limited amount of time that you have, I'd think that Zion
would fit in a little better since it's on your way. We took a short
trip to Zion earlier this month. I've got some pictures if you're
interested in a preview of what you'd be seeing.

http://www.pbase.com/madhatter/zion

Super photos!! Thanks... My partner is big time in to photography too!!
There will be a lot of stops for the photo opps on this trip...as usual!

again..thanks...and yes..I think we have decided on Zion.

toodles

HeatherM