Suggestion for a 21day trip to Vancouver & Island plus Rockies ?

Old April 16th, 2004, 11:15 AM
6656

Default Suggestion for a 21day trip to Vancouver & Island plus Rockies ?

We (wife, 2 kids aged 7 & 8 & myself) are planning to travel in June
to Canada for 21 days. We will arrive in Vancouver and also depart
from there. We intend to see Vancouver Island and the Rockies. We
like to see wild life and enjoy the outdoors. We intend to drive
around.

I would like suggestions from the board on the route to take to see
both the places. We don't intend to fly within unless if the distances
are far apart. Also wondering if this is do able? Our plan to select
a base town to stay for a few days to explore the regions. Please
recommend which are the towns suitable & budget accommodations?

Thanks for all inputs.
Old April 16th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Peter L

"6656" wrote in message
om...
We (wife, 2 kids aged 7 & 8 & myself) are planning to travel in June
to Canada for 21 days. We will arrive in Vancouver and also depart
from there. We intend to see Vancouver Island and the Rockies. We
like to see wild life and enjoy the outdoors. We intend to drive
around.

I would like suggestions from the board on the route to take to see
both the places. We don't intend to fly within unless if the distances
are far apart. Also wondering if this is do able? Our plan to select
a base town to stay for a few days to explore the regions. Please
recommend which are the towns suitable & budget accommodations?

Thanks for all inputs.

The Canadian Rockies are pretty far away to use Vancouver as a base of
operation. Consider driving to the Rockies. Do this for a week or so.
Return to Vancouver and explore the region around Vancouver.

Old April 16th, 2004, 11:23 PM
Aramis

They intend to drive around, not use Vancouver as a base.

You will probably want 4-5 days on the Island, either Victoria (think old
England and retirees) or Nanaimo as a base.

After the Vancouver area, head west through the Okanogan valley. It's not my
favourite place but I know many people who love the Kelowna area. It can get
darn hot there in Mid-summer, though. If it was my trip, I would drive all
the way to Calgary, which would allow you to see Banff and the most
beautiful part of the Canadian Rockies. Vancouver to Calgary is about 12
hours straight drive and the Kelowna would be slightly closer to Vancouver
than Calgary.

"Peter L" wrote in message

om...

Old April 17th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Mike O'sullivan

"Aramis" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...
They intend to drive around, not use Vancouver as a base.

You will probably want 4-5 days on the Island, either Victoria (think old
England and retirees).

Actually, America's idea of Olde England (and Scotland, as witness that
bloody bagpiper in the harbour!

Old April 17th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Don Howe

A circle route to consider.

Starting from Vancouver, take the Sea to Sky Hi-way 99 to Whistler and thru
Pemberton and Lillooet to the Upper Fraser Canyon. This is very scenic but
less travelled route. You end up intersecting Hi-Way 97. A few miles South
is Cache Creek and the Trans Canada Hi-way #1 to the Rockies.

A few 'must see' areas is the Spiral Tunnel on the Canadian Pacific Railway
adjacent to Hi-Way 1 with view points and a rest area. If you are lucky you
will see a train enter the tunnel at one level and exit much higher (or
lower depending on its direction of travel). If it is an Eastbound (empty)
train it is quite possible to see the Engines at the head end exit the
tunnel before the tail end of the train has entered the tunnel.

The Columbia Icefields Hi-way 93 North from Lake Louise to Jasper. It is
wise to return to the Trans Canada by the same route as the alternates are
very long and very boring. Travel one way in the morning light and the
other trip in the evening to get the best views and pictures of the
mountains.

The areas and activities around Lake Louise and Banff will take many days to
explore and enjoy.

To continue the 'loop' --- a few miles West of Banff take Hi-way 93 South
through more of the sensational Banff National Park. This will lead you to
Hi-Way 3 West (The Crow's Nest) to Vancouver. There are many interesting
loop roads off of 3 leading to some interesting towns and areas in Southern
BC.. Any Tourist Office will give you full info and road conditions etc. to
the areas that hold an interest for you.

A trip to Vancouver Island as you state is another must. This can be done
in a circle fashion as well. Begin with a ferry ride to Victoria and its
many features is a first step. After visiting Olde Victoria and Butchart
Gardens turn North on the Trans Canada Hi-way 1 to Nanaimo. From Nanaimo
you can go 3 directions. 1. Return to Vancouver on the Ferry to Horseshoe
Bay. 2. Travel further West on Hi-Way 4 to Pacific Rim National Park and th
e towns of Tofino and Ucluelet on the shores of the Pacific. 3. Travel
further North on the boring, nothing to see, but faster Island Hi-Way 19 to
Comox. The best way to Comox is the alternate beach hugging route 19A
where you can walk for miles on the sand at low tides investigating seashore
life in the pools at a much slower pace. At Comox you can catch a ferry to
Powell River (Westview) and return to Vancouver via the Sunshine Coast.
Option 3 will result in 4 ferry voyages to complete the loop. Full
information on the BC Ferries can be found at www.bcferries.bc.ca .

Be warned --- the Vancouver Ferry Terminals(Tsawassen and Horseshoe Bay)
and their counterparts in Victoria( Swartz Bay) and Nanaimo (Departure
Bay)can be very crowded in the summer months.when 2 and 3 hour waits are
normal, especially on weekends.. I advise you to investigate the
'Reservation' option. in their website to save a lot of time and avoid a lot
boredom for the children.. Reserved space is limited on the ferries. Reserve
early! They are very strict regarding the 30 minute arrival before
SCHEDULED sailing times.

Accomodation throughout BC is condensed in a 'British Columbia Accomodations
Guide'. This 8 x 11 Free booklet lists 90%+ of the Hotels, Motels, Fishing
Camps etc .in BC with their location, rates, methods of contact and their
features. A copy can be obtained from BC Tourism www.bctourism.ca

Have a great time!

Old April 17th, 2004, 11:26 PM
NessieOggy

Hi There!

You've had some great posts and suggestions! One of my
favourite routes to the Rockies is on Hwy #1 - Revelstoke (Roger's Pass)
through Golden, Yoho National Park to Banff & Canmore. On the return
you could take the ferry from Revelstoke down Upper/Lower Arrow Lake and
continue on through to the Okanagan Valley (not Okanogan, as that is in
the States). From there it is approximately a 4 hour drive to Vancouver
again. As Don Howe pointed out, you can also take the Crowsnest Hwy
back through the Rockies as well.

I can't offer much about the
Island, but it has many beautiful locations as well. BTW Mike...
Victoria, on Vancouver Island, is in Canada, not the States!

The
following sites might help you in your planning:

http://www.landwithoutlimits.com/?p=105

www.britishcolumbia.com (lists all the regions & cities
within)

Your trip sounds wonderful - Enjoy!!

(Oggy)

Old April 18th, 2004, 02:36 AM
mimi

"6656" wrote in message
om...
We (wife, 2 kids aged 7 & 8 & myself) are planning to travel in June
to Canada for 21 days. We will arrive in Vancouver and also depart
from there. We intend to see Vancouver Island and the Rockies. We
like to see wild life and enjoy the outdoors. We intend to drive
around.

I would like suggestions from the board on the route to take to see
both the places. We don't intend to fly within unless if the distances
are far apart. Also wondering if this is do able? Our plan to select
a base town to stay for a few days to explore the regions. Please
recommend which are the towns suitable & budget accommodations?

You've have a number of suggestions. I would add 2 or 3 days on one of
the Gulf Islands. And a trip that's intrigued me is driving up the Fraser
River
Valley, cutting over to Prince Rupert and taking the ferry back to
Vancouver.

I like Penticton in the Okanagen as a recreation base. It's a town between
2 lakes. I've always regretted not renting an inner tube and floating down
the river between the lakes.

Marianne

Old April 18th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Icono Clast

"mimi" wrote:

cutting over to Prince Rupert

Along the Skeena River. Absolutely magnificent. It thrilled me!
A San Franciscan in (where else?) San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net
Old April 19th, 2004, 01:47 AM
6656

Thanks for all the responses.

Our Plan is something like this:
Arrive in Vancouver – 2 Days
Whistler – 1 day
Sun Peaks Resort – 1 day
Jasper – 3 Days
Banff – 3 days
Kamloops – 1 day
Kelowna. – 1 Day
Victoria Island – 3 Days
Depart from Vancouver – 2 Days
Backup – 3 days or go for a cruise in Alaska depending on $ factor.

We are also trying to take a cruise in Alaska if we can get the time.

Please comment if these days are ok. Suggest which would be a nice
base town to stay at these places. We are also looking for budget
accommodations in the local sense as we trying to maximize and see if
we will have enough money for Alaska. Any interesting stuffs for kids
will be appreciated. Are there a lot of animals during early June in
Rockies .And we plan to drive around whenever it is possible.
Old April 20th, 2004, 02:39 AM
jj

sounds like it's going to be a great trip. I did something like it in 2001.
You can find pictures and some info here
www.jacksnest.com/trip/

om...