Another Dress Code Question

Old February 26th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Sandy K.

Default Another Dress Code Question

My family is taking the Mariner of the Seas (RCCL) in early April - Western
Caribbean. I know there will be 2 formal nights. I plan on wearing my
tuxedo. My 17 year-old son will wear a suit and tie. My question is
related to my 15 year-old son. He doesn't like wearing ties. Since we went
to a very nice formal restaurant recently, he discovered the "Miami Vice"
look - he wears a suit, but instead of a button down shirt and tie, he wore
a collarless, knit black shirt. He looked pretty spiffy, if you ask me.
So, my question is whether or not his dress would be acceptable in the main
dinning room on the formal nights??

TIA,
Sandy K.

Old February 26th, 2004, 03:34 PM

That sounds fine to me, and you can always throw in an extra
shirt and a tie just in case he changes his mind.

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Sandy K. wrote:

My family is taking the Mariner of the Seas (RCCL) in early April - Western
Caribbean. I know there will be 2 formal nights. I plan on wearing my
tuxedo. My 17 year-old son will wear a suit and tie. My question is
related to my 15 year-old son. He doesn't like wearing ties. Since we went
to a very nice formal restaurant recently, he discovered the "Miami Vice"
look - he wears a suit, but instead of a button down shirt and tie, he wore
a collarless, knit black shirt. He looked pretty spiffy, if you ask me.
So, my question is whether or not his dress would be acceptable in the main
dinning room on the formal nights??

TIA,
Sandy K.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Katherine Becker "As god is my witness
I thought turkeys could fly"
NEVER SEND A FERRET TO DO A WEASEL's JOB --WKRP

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old February 26th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Peri

Sandy, I think he'll look spiffy. I can still get my son (almost 13) to wear a
tie (he actually likes getting dressed up), but I wouldn't stress too much about
it if he refused. As long as you're making an obvious effort -- and a suit with
a nice knit shirt qualifies -- you'll be miles ahead of many who don't even
bother.

Have a GREAT time!

~ Peri

Old February 26th, 2004, 04:05 PM
DaFlaBear

I was on the Mariner 1/25.
Even on formal night there is a WIDE variety of dress (casual to formal)
although 85% is formal or a suit.
What you plan for him will be fine.
By the way I found the food and atmosphere to be of HIGHER quality in
the Windjammer.
A beautiful cocktail bar with a waterfall, guitar player playing live
music, incredible sushi bar, chef carved center cut sirloin, great
salads, table cloths. Frankly, the dining experience was much better in
the Windjammer than the main dining room.
This Windjammer is far above all others in the fleet.
And none of those pesky photographers.

Old February 26th, 2004, 05:53 PM
MZT

We were on the Mariner of the Seas last week. Formal night attire went in
all different directions. Your son will look fine in the suit and the knit
top. There were some grown men as well as teenagers dressed that way on
formal night and they didn't look out of place. Many people changed out of
their formal clothes right after dinner anyhow. Just go and enjoy
yourselves and let him be comfortable. Have a great trip!!

Old February 27th, 2004, 12:19 AM
MsPatty4

he wears a suit, but instead of a button down shirt and tie, he wore
a collarless, knit black shirt. He looked pretty spiffy, if you ask me.
So, my question is whether or not his dress would be acceptable in the main
dinning room on the formal nights??

Yes and he will look great!

~ Patty