Happy Birthday!

Old July 4th, 2004, 08:40 PM
Rosalie B.

Default OT- Happy Birthday USA!

"Tom & Linda" wrote:

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
.. .

We in the USA have always flown our national flag far more than people
in other countries do. I have heard visitors ask about it - why do we
have flags on our houses etc. But we've had flags on our house, and
now on our boat for some time. I was kind of put off by all the
people that suddenly had flags after 9-11.

I was MORE put off by people who put American flags on Foreign made cars

The problem is - how do you define an American made car? One that has
a foreign brand but is assembled here? One that has a US brand but is
assembled in Canada or Mexico? One that has a dual brand (half
foreign/half US)? (like Daimler Ford).

If you are going to be offended by that, then how about not cruising
on any foreign flagged ships?

grandma Rosalie
Old July 4th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Rosalie B.

(Lunyma) wrote:

So many people call this holiday the 4th of July. I wonder if any of them
actually know what it is we're celebrating today. I wonder how many
self-described 'Proud Americans' could pass even a basic civics quiz, like
naming their state representative, state senator, congressman, or even name
one amendment to the US Constitution. How many are registered to vote, let
alone exercise that right?

We Americans take a lot for granted, including our freedoms.

I'll be honest here... Had I not ever *needed* to know the names of the people
in the positions you named... I probably wouldn't, or couldn't. I know the
name of one of our state representatives, only because he used to be the mayor
of our village. I only know the names of our senator and congressmen, because
my son applied to the the air force academy, a few years ago, and needed a

I had the same necessity, both senators and the congressperson from
our district. The representatives to the state government I'm a
little more hazy about.

nomination from one of them. The constitution??? I barely passed the test in
HS (ages ago), but could probably come up with something. I was never good at

Could you answer what the three branches of government are? That was
one of the questions that could not be answered on Jay Walking by
someone who is a naturalized citizen and had to take the test for
that. Looking at her apparent age, she couldn't have taken it THAT
long ago.

And when was the Declaration of Independence adopted? I'm not talking
about knowing which amendment was prohibition or which one is
separation of church and state or anything like that.

history, and never cared. I AM registered to vote, although I haven't, since I
was 18 (a LONG time ago)...

I was not able to register to vote until I was 21 because 18 was not
the universal age to vote in all states back then, so I just missed
being able to vote for Ike for his second term, but I have voted in
almost every election since then - sometimes by absentee ballot. This
was partly because my grandfather was a politician and so I was aware
of elections.

Ya know what??? Today is just another day to me... I appreciate my freedom,
but abhor some of the things that our govt. supports... Regardless.. I am an
American, and proud to be one...
How's THAT for honesty???

I don't celebrate the 4th either. Not because I am anti-government,
but because I am anti heat and noise and crowds and driving when
everyone else is out on the highway.

grandma Rosalie
Old July 4th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Gregory C. Read

"Tom & Linda" wrote in message
t...

"Rosalie B." wrote in message

We in the USA have always flown our national flag far more than people
in other countries do. I have heard visitors ask about it - why do we
have flags on our houses etc. But we've had flags on our house, and
now on our boat for some time. I was kind of put off by all the
people that suddenly had flags after 9-11.

I was MORE put off by people who put American flags on Foreign made cars

--Tom

While it's a nice thought Tom, I would defy you to find an all American made
car. Or maybe you just mean American companies like Chrysler? Or is that
Daimler-Chrysler? ;-)

--
Greg
lid

Old July 4th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Jean O'Boyle

"Dick Goldhaber" wrote in message
Thank you, Jean.
I seem to gather that you disagree with Danni and me politically, so I

don't
want to make the following appear to be political, but I am sure that it

will.

43 minutes from the beginning of July 4th it saddens me to report the

death
by beheading of a United States soldier.

Dick, sometimes I think you want to rain on my parade! ;-)

Yes, a barbaric act by barbarians was committed.. It is terrible and tragic.
Barbarians would still be committing these terrible acts hundreds of times a
day, if Saddam were still in power.
Remember the many graves of children and innocent people that were
uncovered? Innocents who had been killed by orders of Saddam and the Kurds
of all ages who were gassed by Sadaam?

You know what makes America so great?? WE CARE!! We care for others to be
free~ to go to school, equal rights for women, all races and creeds.. To
have freedom of expression as you just had, without persecution and being
put to death.. We recognize that these people DESERVE to have such rights
because they are fellow HUMAN beings..America has always cared, that is why
we are so blessed~to the point that we take our freedoms for granted...men
and women have died for those freedoms and men and women will continue to
die for those freedoms, because they CARE! I just wish more countries
cared..

Today after Mass, I was told this by a friend who has a son in Iraq who is a
Private in the US Army.. The military vehicle he was in, spotted a group of
people around a child..They stopped and asked if they could help..They were
told no, that they were taking the child to their medical facility.. They
followed and shortly afterwards saw the child being carried out. They asked
what happened and were told that nothing could be done and to take the child
home and let him die.
Immediately one of the troops, who was medic, jumped out with his medical
bag, checked the child, did mouth to mouth resuscitation and the child was
breathing and able to talk a few minutes afterwards..The family and child
all hugged and thanked the troops..Now WHERE was our great media when this
happened?? Busy taking pictures of isolated killings and gory things that
happen in the war with insurgents.. It never shows the good... I was shocked
when Dan Rather, who is the king of liberals and who is presently in Iraq,
interviewed some people on the street in Iraq~~female students, most not
even wearing the burka, attending college and speaking out freely~~saying
under Sadaam, they would not be allowed to GO to college. Young men who
could not wait to see Sadaam brought to trial and were worried that he might
escape..their talk of better equipment in their hospitals, troops who have
their families and friends sending school supplies for them to give to the
Iraqis so that ALL children in Iraq can get an education..Why aren't we
hearing and seeing more of this on the radio and TV? Because it is good!
Good does not sell!

Politics does not enter here~~GOOD people who care about others and want
them to have better lives too, come from both political parties..Our troops
are the best in the world~~They CARE! I know there are some bad apples..
there are in every walk of life and it is a shame that they soil the
reputation of the many who are good and decent...

Dick, with your ethnicity in mind, what would have happened if NO ONE cared
about what happened during the Holocaust? Even today, there are some denying
it ever happened!

Terrorism is not just 9-11..There is terror out there right now and involves
every one of us in our daily lives.. Some people are afraid to fly and
travel--and not just because of the fear of flying but because of the
security and safety in flying..Terror that necessitates extra security at
airports and all federal facilities. Armed guards in many places..Like it or
not, our lives will never be the same after 9-11..Some of us may feel it and
others only to a lesser degree..

So today, on the birthday of our great nation, let's thank God or whatever
higher power in which you believe, for our great military men and women, who
are willing to lay down their lives for the freedoms this beautiful country
allows us to have...

Sorry to be so lengthy,
--Jean

Old July 4th, 2004, 10:27 PM
Tom & Linda

"Gregory C. Read" wrote in message
How can someone "abhor some of the things that our govt. supports.... ",

but
not even take the time to vote? I do appreciate your honesty though.

With the concept of electoral college in presidential elections, if your
state votes the other way, your vote is never even counted.

If you're a Republican in California or a Democrat in Kansas, don't even
bother wasting the gas getting to the voting booths in presidential
elections.

And unless they change the system where 2-3 states (Iowa, New Hampshire,
etc.) decide (in primaries) who the entire country must vote for... why
bother voting in primaries if you live in another state...

They tell you to get out and vote... but often times, it's meaningless. All
you're doing is putting your name on something other's have already decided
for you.

--Tom

Old July 4th, 2004, 10:42 PM
villa deauville

SUNNY.........A British subject by birth. An American by choice.
Proud to belong to two great nations.

Old July 4th, 2004, 11:30 PM
Gregory C. Read

"Tom & Linda" wrote in message
t...

[...]

And if 100% of the eligible voters voted, instead of 45%-60%, perhaps your
statistics above might be reversed.

Old July 4th, 2004, 11:33 PM
Tom & Linda

"Gregory C. Read" wrote in message
news

"Tom & Linda" wrote in message
t...

"Gregory C. Read" wrote in message
How can someone "abhor some of the things that our govt. supports....

",
[...]

That wouldn't stop the issue that 2-3 states pick the presidential
candidates.

--Tom

Old July 4th, 2004, 11:53 PM
Jean O'Boyle

"Tom & Linda" wrote in message
t...
That wouldn't stop the issue that 2-3 states pick the presidential
candidates.

--Tom

Don't pay attention to it~just get out there and vote! Who knows, your vote
may be THE one that really counts!

--Jean~~hasn't missed voting in an election, city, state or national since
Kennedy was elected.