new south wales ranch stay? Blue mountains? hunter valley?

Old November 23rd, 2004, 02:27 PM
Nicholas Friedman

Default new south wales ranch stay? Blue mountains? hunter valley?

We (family 5, 3 teen girls, avid horse"people") are travelling to Australia
of christmas break.
Sydney, lord howe island, sydney.
The last week we are staying in sydney with family, but want (need to) take
a break and we are looking for a short driving trip (2-3 days )from sydney.

As we are from urban USA, I thought a ranch visit for a few days not too far
from Sydney would be fun.

I found Tugalong station in the south highlands ( 3 meal plan about $100pp)
and Dalrae station (4hrs from sydney in the holiday coast hinterland) as
possible alternatives.

However there are no newspaper reviews or objective reviews of these places.
Only sites that sell the accomodations.

Does anyone out htere know about these ranches? recommendations? HELP

Old November 23rd, 2004, 06:37 PM
Tom Johnstone

Nicholas Friedman wrote:
We (family 5, 3 teen girls, avid horse"people") are travelling to Australia
of christmas break.
Sydney, lord howe island, sydney.
The last week we are staying in sydney with family, but want (need to) take
a break and we are looking for a short driving trip (2-3 days )from sydney.

As we are from urban USA, I thought a ranch visit for a few days not too far
from Sydney would be fun.

I found Tugalong station in the south highlands ( 3 meal plan about $100pp)
and Dalrae station (4hrs from sydney in the holiday coast hinterland) as
possible alternatives.

However there are no newspaper reviews or objective reviews of these places.
Only sites that sell the accomodations.

Does anyone out htere know about these ranches? recommendations? HELP

I can't give any recommendations, but if you put farmstay and nsw into
google, you'll get a lot of pages. e.g.:

http://www.bedandbreakfast.org.au/bandb_guide.html

You should also check out the NSW tourism office website. You can do a
search for farm stay accommodation on their site.

http://www.visitnsw.com.au/

Tom

Old November 24th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Nicholas Friedman

Thanks for the advice.

Yes I googled "australian ranch stay" etc with little luck.

This place called Tugalong station looks ok, but I think it is mostly for
foreign tourists.

My sister in sydney says Im gonna hate it cause dec is fly season and we
will be engulfed in hordes of pesky flies who breed on a billion tons of
cattle dung.

I dont know whats worse... hanging with her or the flies..........

Old November 24th, 2004, 11:52 PM
Alan

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:04:01 GMT, "Nicholas Friedman"
wrote:

Thanks for the advice.

Yes I googled "australian ranch stay" etc with little luck.

This place called Tugalong station looks ok, but I think it is mostly for
foreign tourists.

My sister in sydney says Im gonna hate it cause dec is fly season and we
will be engulfed in hordes of pesky flies who breed on a billion tons of
cattle dung.

I dont know whats worse... hanging with her or the flies..........

Well, if you haven't heard of the "Aussie salute" - it's the motion of a
hand waving the flies away:-)

Rest easy, there may be a billion tons (well, maybe not a "billion", but
lots) but it's not all in one big heap. If you just want a rest from
Sis, in your timescale I'd try:

Head up to the wine country (Hunter Valley) by train and use the tour
buses for some winery tours - no worries about drink-driving on the
wrong side of the road, nice country areas around Cessnock, interesting
coal-mining and steel-making history in the district and in Newcastle;
or

Do the same in the Blue Mountains - take tours, or just relax, or rent a
car and wander out to Bathurst and Lithgow; or

Rent a car for three days and wander (on the proper side of the road)
out through the Blue Mountains, Bathurst, Canberra, Bowral and back to
Sydney. Night 1 Katoomba district, night two Canberra. But only if you
enjoy driving.

Just thoughts. In the inland, motels are everywhere and booking
shouldn't be a problem. If you drive, get the NRMA accommodation guide
when you arrive.

Cheers, Alan