Are US cars negative earth ?

Old July 15th, 2005, 05:17 PM
SMS

Doug Smith W9WI wrote:
Patty Winter wrote:

I'm pretty sure that the old Volkswagen Beetles had positive ground.
Maybe some other older German cars imported to the U.S. did, too,
although my '71 Opel GT had negative ground.

You used to be able to buy devices that would flip the polarity of the
car's voltage, to allow you to use negative-ground devices in a
positive-ground car. So, I suppose positive-ground cars were sold in
the US at some pointgrin...

You can still buy these devices:

"http://www.tessco.com/products/displayProducts.do?groupId=090&subgroupId=30"
Old July 15th, 2005, 05:18 PM
SMS

I actually didnt want to blow my ipod up
when i bring the car charger over and plug it
into the rental car

You might want to post your question to one of the web sites that
specialize in info for iPod users, and you'll probably hear from people
who've actually tried that. For example...

http://www.ipodlounge.com/
(click the Forums link near the top of their home page)

If you're planning to play your iPod through the rental car's radio,
you could do it via an FM transmitter or a cassette adapter. I use a
cassette adapter with my iPod; it's an inexpensive solution and works
great; however your rental car might not have a cassette player.

Cassette players are becoming less and less common on new cars. Just had
a rental car last week with CD only.
Old July 15th, 2005, 08:30 PM
SMS

Patty Winter wrote:
In article ,
listener wrote:

Ill be perfectly honest, I actually didnt want to blow my ipod up when i
bring the car charger over and plug it into the rental car,lol

:-) Figured it was something like that, involving a rental car.

In the UK ALL new cars and most older ones are Negative Earth (ground) i was
just curious that was all as i know sometimes the simplest things are so
different between different countries and was pretty sure ide heard of a few
posative earthed cars in the US.

I'm pretty sure that the old Volkswagen Beetles had positive ground.
Maybe some other older German cars imported to the U.S. did, too,
although my '71 Opel GT had negative ground.

I know that the early Beetles were 6V rather than 12V, but I think that
they were still positive ground. There were conversion kits to move to 12V.
Old July 15th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Patty Winter

In article ,
SMS wrote:
Patty Winter wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the old Volkswagen Beetles had positive ground.
Maybe some other older German cars imported to the U.S. did, too,
although my '71 Opel GT had negative ground.

I know that the early Beetles were 6V rather than 12V, but I think that
they were still positive ground. There were conversion kits to move to 12V.

Ah, maybe that was it. I knew there was something funny about them.
Well, in addition to the obvious. :-)

Patty

Old July 15th, 2005, 11:18 PM
Alan S

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 09:23:13 -0400, Dave Smith
wrote:

Dwayne wrote:

In all vehicles around the world the negative terminal (GND) of the battery
is connected to the chassis.

Whatever happened to the old idea of not bother to answer something if you
don't know the answer?

Cain decided to drop the idea as boring when Abel asked too
many silly questions. I haven't noticed the recurrence of
such a quaint concept since that era.

Do some people insist on spouting what they believe to
be the answer whether or not it is right,

Yep.

or do they intentional give false and
misleading answers to honest questions?

Yep. Welcome to usenet.

Dwayne should have said that most newer vehicles are negative ground. There are
still some vehicles around with positive ground electrical systems.

A very accurate answer, but, without defining which older
vehicles were positive ground, just as useless as "I don't
know" for the OP.

The best answers were the ones which implied questions,
resulting in the OP better describing his need. Which, if
you re-read the thread, was eventually answered. And other
readers also may have learnt something new. Those that
didn't hit "next message" long ago.

As you probably should have.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old July 16th, 2005, 01:20 AM
Dwayne

"Dwayne" wrote in message
"listener" wrote in message
As header really are all new US cars wired negative earth??
cheers

In all vehicles around the world the negative terminal (GND) of the
battery is connected to the chassis.

Dwayne

All current vehicles around the world the negative terminal (GND) of the

Old July 16th, 2005, 01:46 AM
Dave Smith

Dwayne wrote:

All current vehicles around the world the negative terminal (GND) of the
battery is connected to the chassis.

Cars are. Not all vehicles are.

Old July 17th, 2005, 12:22 AM
Bill McKee

"listener" wrote in message
As header really are all new US cars wired negative earth??
cheers

In all vehicles around the world the negative terminal (GND) of the
battery is connected to the chassis.

Dwayne

All current vehicles around the world the negative terminal (GND) of the
battery is connected to the chassis.

Dwayne

Oh, they killed Lucas, "the Prince of Darkness"?