Breakfast in Sydney?

Old May 20th, 2004, 08:20 AM
simon

Default Breakfast in Sydney?

In message , Craig Welch
writes
On Mon, 17 May 2004 08:25:52 +0100, simon
wrote:

Hello.

We're staying at the Grace (CBD) in August. We don't really want to
spend every day having breakfast in the hotel.

Any suggestions where to go?

You need to go to Cafe Bitter and Twisted, 38 York St. Pretty much
across the road. Run by friends of mine. Tell 'em Craig sent ya.

Think I'll take you up on that Craig.
Thanks, Simon.
Old May 20th, 2004, 11:53 AM
Dave Proctor

On Thu, 20 May 2004 09:48:55 +1000, Alan
wrote:

They'll be staying in the centre of one of the great cities of the world
for variety of food styles and quality of cuisine.

Going to Maccas for breakfast in Sydney is a little like staying at a
youth hostel when you could stay at a 5* hotel for only a little extra.

I didn't plan where to eat in Sydney; just kept my eyes open as I
wandered and selected from the incredible variety available.

Step outside the door and walk 200m in any direction and you'll probably
pass six restaurants. Follow your nose - literally.

I guess my post was so high it went over EVERYBODY's heads.

Dave

=====

NSW Rural Fire Service - become a volunteer today.

http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/
Old May 20th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Dave Campbell

"Raffi Balmanoukian" a
wrote in message
news:BCD0A902.23AE9%walkabout@TAKEOUTTHETRASHTOREP LY.ns.sympatico.ca...
in article , Craig Welch at
wrote on 5/19/04 2:29 PM:

Craig, maybe you can enlighten me about the Singapore arches - the city
state is a tiny encapsulation of four major cultures, three of whom really
cook (then there are the poms). Why in the name of heaven would the

Mickey
D's on the quay ever be able to make a living? The franchisee should be
flogged for existing (imagine what they would do if patrons littered the
streets with the wrappers like they do everywhere else on the planet)

Rather like a sorbet between courses.... something bland that allows you to
appreciate the subtleties of the *real* food ;-)

Other than that, macca's can be the traveller's friend.... you know you will
be served fast, you know what you will have before you get through the
doors, and you know that you probably won't die from it before you reach
your next bivouac. That can be very reassuring when you're on a long drive.
(Having driven the Pacific Highway route from Sydney to Lismore countless
times, sightseeing loses its appeal and getting to the destination in the
shortest legal time becomes the main objective.)

Oh, and the toilets are a bit more up-market than a hole in the ground with
a couple of splintery planks across it, if you're travelling with somebody
with somewhat delicate sensibilities ;-)

Dave Campbell

Old May 20th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Alan

On Thu, 20 May 2004 11:45:39 GMT, "Dave Campbell"
wrote:

Oh, and the toilets are a bit more up-market than a hole in the ground with
a couple of splintery planks across it, if you're travelling with somebody
with somewhat delicate sensibilities ;-)

Dave Campbell

Must admit we got a surprise in Europe when we had to get the manager to
open them and pay 50p for their use.

Cheers, Alan
Old May 20th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Alan

On Thu, 20 May 2004 20:53:23 +1000, Dave Proctor
wrote:

I guess my post was so high it went over EVERYBODY's heads.

Dave

=====

Too subtle?

Cheers, Alan
Old May 23rd, 2004, 09:49 AM
Chris Kuan

Craig Welch wrote on Sun 23 May 2004 04:56:42p

Craig, maybe you can enlighten me about the Singapore arches - the
city state is a tiny encapsulation of four major cultures, three of
whom really cook (then there are the poms). Why in the name of heaven
would the Mickey D's on the quay ever be able to make a living?

I have no idea Raffi. I can only assume it has some suggestion of
worldly sophistication, like sipping a coffee at Starbucks ... to
name another establishment in which you will never find me. Yechh!

Based on observations of my young cousins in Singapore, I'm guessing
novelty.

--
Chris
Concatenate for email: mrgazpacho @ hotmail . com
Old August 14th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Peter

In article ,=20
says...
On Thu, 20 May 2004 11:45:39 GMT, "Dave Campbell"
wrote:
=20
Other than that, macca's can be the traveller's friend.... you know you =

will
be served fast, you know what you will have before you get through the
doors, and you know that you probably won't die from it before you reach
your next bivouac.=20

=20
Sorry, I find none of those reasons at all compelling. One of the
delights of travel is savouring a great variety of cuisines.
=20
That can be very reassuring when you're on a long drive.
(Having driven the Pacific Highway route from Sydney to Lismore countles=

times, sightseeing loses its appeal and getting to the destination in th=

shortest legal time becomes the main objective.)

=20
Indeed. But when one is hungry, there are thousands of little caf=E9s
with excellent food, exemplary service and proper utensils. I don't
know how you can compare these with a Mcdonalds.

You can't. But if you are passing through and you are in a hurry, then=20
there's a risk you'll find a place that is slow of service, poor of=20
food, high of price and dirty of dunnies. It's also hard for the=20
traveller to know if the situation changes. A change of ownership or=20
suppliers or staff rosters and what was good might become bad. Or vice=20
versa.

The average small country town usually has a bell-curve of quality and=20
what's the poor traveller to do? It took me years of trial and error to=20
find a place in Dubbo that I liked, and the next time I went through it=20
had shut down. 8^(

Having said that, Macca's isn't the only fast food chain. My favorite is=20
Ali Baba's, which does a great selection of Lebanese food. Hard to find=20
on the road, though, and I turn to Subway for hasty tasties.

Best of all is to buy some crusty rolls, some lunch meat and spreads,=20
fruit juices and/or actual fruit and to have a quick picnic at some=20
scenic outlook. Cheap and cheerful and you actually feel like you are=20
experiencing the countryside, rather than insulated on a boring freeway.

Pete

Old August 14th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Alan

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 10:01:40 GMT, Peter wrote:

In article ,
says...
On Thu, 20 May 2004 11:45:39 GMT, "Dave Campbell"

Pete

Hi Pete

We had a type of virus through here last week which re-posted a few
hundred old posts.

Have a look at the date on the post you responded to.

Cheers, Alan