Planning a Trip to Tokyo

Old February 17th, 2004, 08:20 PM
wishingstar2

Default Planning a Trip to Tokyo

Hi I am planning to go to Tokyo in August and I have never been there before.....I was wondering if anyone could provide me with web sites or number of some affordable and nice hotels/Ryokan to stay in Tokyo ( somewhere that is close to shopping and food). Also, I really don't know where I should go in Tokyo...could anyone recommend some places to go to and also how to get to each place if possible. and lastly, could someone also recommend a web site for cheap airline tickets to Tokyo. Thank you so much.

Old February 17th, 2004, 11:52 PM
None

Tell me, since you obviously did no kind of research whatsoever, based on
the fact that you appear to know nothing about Tokyo/Japan at all . . . .how
were you able to decide that Tokyo was the destination for you??

--
***/***/***/***/***/***/***/***

Shrub is a ONE TERMER!
Just Like His Daddy!

***/***/***/***/***/***/***/***

http://wonderofitall.com/

***/***/***
lkabouttravelling.com...

Old February 18th, 2004, 01:36 AM
devil

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:20:25 -0600, wishingstar2 wrote:

Hi I am planning to go to Tokyo in August and I have never been there before.....I was wondering if anyone could provide me with web sites or number of some affordable and nice hotels/Ryokan to stay in Tokyo ( somewhere that is close to shopping and food). Also, I really don't know where I should go in Tokyo...could anyone recommend some places to go to and also how to get to each place if possible. and lastly, could someone also recommend a web site for cheap airline tickets to Tokyo. Thank you so much.

Breaking your line might help make your article more readable.

Tokyo isn't really the place to go for ryokans BTW. We stayed in one,
recommended in most guides, called Shigetsu, in Asakusa, a couple of
years ago.

Not bad, but clearly geared exclusively tawrd foreign visitors. In other
words, not the real thing. Mind you, perhaps that's what you want/need.

If you really want to see what a ryokan is like, go to Kyoto. Make sure
you go to a reasonably decent one, that offers the room and meals.

In the mid-price range, last year we stayed at a place called Nishiyama.
Not the most expensive either. They had an Internet rate at 15,000 year
per person with breakfast and dinner. We had booked for two nights but
ended up staying for a third night.

Dinner was wonderful.

Old February 18th, 2004, 02:49 AM
Joe Momma

"wishingstar2" wrote in message
Hi I am planning to go to Tokyo in August and I have never been there

before.....I was wondering if anyone could provide me with web sites or
number of some affordable and nice hotels/Ryokan to stay in Tokyo (
somewhere that is close to shopping and food). Also, I really don't know
where I should go in Tokyo...could anyone recommend some places to go to and
also how to get to each place if possible. and lastly, could someone also
recommend a web site for cheap airline tickets to Tokyo. Thank you so much.

I stayed at the Shinjuku Prince Hotel in Sept 2003, it was 9750 Yen/Night
for a single room, taxes and service charges included. Shinjuku is a
wonderful neighborhood for department stores like Takashimaya Times Square
and Lumine. It's about a 5 minute walk from the Shinjuku Station, and the
Limousine Bus and the Narita Express go there.

Old February 18th, 2004, 06:00 AM
devil

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 02:49:06 +0000, Joe Momma wrote:

[...]

I stayed there last August. Cheap it was (I would have to go back to
check how much.)

Anyway, rooms were tiny. Having stayed at the Prince Hotel in Hakone,
that one was a bit of a dump in comparison. The area is interesting,
sure.

Old February 21st, 2004, 01:13 PM
mag3

Quoting "wishingstar2" regarding Planning a Trip to
Tokyo in a message dated Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:20:25 -0600:

Hi I am planning to go to Tokyo in August and I have never been there before
.....I was wondering if anyone could provide me with web sites or number of some
affordable and nice hotels/Ryokan to stay in Tokyo ( somewhere that is close
to shopping and food). Also, I really don't know where I should go in Tokyo...
could anyone recommend some places to go to and also how to get to each
place if possible. and lastly, could someone also recommend a web site for
cheap airline tickets to Tokyo. Thank you so much.

I was there this past August as well. August might not be the best month to
go to Tokyo for a "first time" for a number of reasons. First, the weather.
terribly Hazy Hot Humid (mid 80's°F) and muggy as all get out. Remember that
Tokyo's latitude is about 50 or so miles south of Raleigh, NC. so that's the
kind of weather we're talking about for August. If you're not used to that,
bring a lot of changable/washable clothes, some towels to wipe with (you
actually do see people carry them on the street), and be prepared to buy a lot
of soft drinks - plenty of machines available. There's a "Gatorade" like drink
called "Pocari Sweat" - tastes like "flat Fresca" but it serves the purpose.
If that kind of weather bothers you, you might want to conside travel in
November (thanksgiving) where it's in the 50's-60's and a light jacket will do
well.

Also, if it's early to mid-August, then you may also be competing with many
local Japanese tourists for hotel/Ryokan resources in Tokyo. That's the
"O-Bon" festival, where many peopke flock to Tokyo from the outskirts to visit
family etc. That's also the time when Train reservations are taken up as well.
You might want to plan ahead.

It also depends on how long you intend to stay in Japan/Tokyo and if you plan
to move around (ie. visit Kyoto, Osaka, etc.). Since Tokyo is more expensive,
I'd prefer to stay in Kyoto where there are more "tourist" type things to do
and the prices are a little less expensice for hotels etc. (but just a little).
But you can see more of classic Japan there. Not that there aren't things to do
in Tokyo (Ginza, Tokyo Tower, The Neighboorhoods ("Shibuya," etc.)), but I
wouldn't spend a lot of time there.

If you want to visit a lot of cities, consider purchasing a JR Rail pass. For
a fixed price, you can travel pretty much anywhere on the JR Rail network
for a given # of days. There are some restrictions (ie. it's not valid for
Nozomi Shinkansen trains) but if you plan your travel carefully, you can save
a bundle. Try the following websites:

http://www.jtbusa.com/enhome/default.asp - Japan Travel Bureau

http://www.japanrail.com/ - JR Railways Main English Site

http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/ - Sophisticated Rail Timetable

Good luck on your trip.

__________________________________

Regards,
Arnold.

(E-mail address altered, to prevent spamming. :-|
Remove all asterisks and the *hates*spam* to get true address.)
Old February 21st, 2004, 03:07 PM
Dave Fossett

"mag3" wrote:

Also, if it's early to mid-August, then you may also be competing with

many
local Japanese tourists for hotel/Ryokan resources in Tokyo. That's the
"O-Bon" festival, where many peopke flock to Tokyo from the outskirts to

visit
family etc. That's also the time when Train reservations are taken up as

well.
You might want to plan ahead.

Actually, it's the other way round... Tokyo is less crowded (i.e. almost
bearable) during Obon, as everyone returns to their "hometowns" in the
regions. It's still not a good time to be visiting from abroad, though, as
long-distance trains are likely to be all fully booked. Another reason to
avoid this period is typhoons. They can wreck travel arrangements.
I'd agree with your comments about the weather: the humidity in August can
be extremely draining.

--
Dave Fossett
Saitama, Japan

Old February 21st, 2004, 08:10 PM
mag3

Quoting "Dave Fossett" regarding Planning a Trip to
Tokyo in a message dated Sun, 22 Feb 2004 00:07:35 +0900:

"mag3" wrote:

Also, if it's early to mid-August, then you may also be competing with

many
local Japanese tourists for hotel/Ryokan resources in Tokyo. That's the
"O-Bon" festival, where many peopke flock to Tokyo from the outskirts to

visit family etc.

Actually, it's the other way round... Tokyo is less crowded (i.e. almost
bearable) during Obon, as everyone returns to their "hometowns" in the
regions. It's still not a good time to be visiting from abroad, though, as
long-distance trains are likely to be all fully booked. Another reason to
avoid this period is typhoons. They can wreck travel arrangements.
I'd agree with your comments about the weather: the humidity in August can
be extremely draining.

Well..... Somebody filled up the Westin Tokyo in Ebisu the night I showed up
such that I wasn't upgraded! :-)

Actually, it may have been weekenders or whatever comming into the city.
But yes, don't bother trying to get seat "D" on a Nozomi green car during Obon!

I didn't even consider Typhoons. Yet another reason to avoid August.