Tromso vs Kiruna, Sweden?

Old January 23rd, 2009, 07:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
ngtzf

Default Tromso vs Kiruna, Sweden?

Hello,
We are planning a trip to the north to see the northern lights the
first week of April (we are aware that there's not much chance at this
time but no options) but can't decide between Kiruna and Tromso. Any
recommendation? We've seen that there are a lot of activities to do in
Kiruna and there's the ice hotel but Tromso is supposed to be warmer and
more lively but also more expensive...

Thanks for your help!

--
ngtzf
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Old January 23rd, 2009, 07:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Rik Brown[_104_]

ngtzf;2514300 Wrote:
Hello,
We are planning a trip to the north to see the northern lights the
first week of April (we are aware that there's not much chance at this
time but no options) but can't decide between Kiruna and Tromso. Any
recommendation? We've seen that there are a lot of activities to do in
Kiruna and there's the ice hotel but Tromso is supposed to be warmer and
more lively but also more expensive...

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to TRAVEL.com. I'll copy your message over to the Europe Travel
Forum where you can better expect a reply.

Regards. -- Rik

--
Rik Brown

Share your experiences in the forums, blogs, videos, and online
community at 'TRAVEL.com' (http://forums.TRAVEL.com).
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Old January 26th, 2009, 10:34 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009, ngtzf wrote:

time but no options) but can't decide between Kiruna and Tromso.

I once took a train from Stockholm to the north (we had a Scanrail pass
so we could stop wherever we wanted). We had an idea of stopping in
Kiruna, but the landscape looked uninteresting, so we continued up to
Narvik. The landscape was interesting instead between Kiruna and the
norwegian border (apparently some 90 km all in the Kommune of Kiruna !),
particularly the lake around Abisko, and the fjord going down to Narvik.

Another time I overnighted in Tromso with an organized coach tour coming
down from Cape North. Pleasant little town but nothing particularly
impressive. However the coast of Norway is definitely rather scenic.

Both trips were in summer.

is a newsreading account used by more persons to