Skybus Airlines and food

Old May 24th, 2007, 08:25 PM posted to rec.travel.air
F. D. Lewis

Default Skybus Airlines and food

just looked at the Skybus 'Rules of Flying' section. found this:

'Oh, and don't sneak food onboard unless you brought enough for the
whole plane.'

this comes after they explain how you save money by buying their food
on the plane.

can they get away with keeping folks from bringing a nice sandwitch on
board? or a soft drink?

this seems a bit too much.

Old May 24th, 2007, 08:47 PM posted to rec.travel.air
me[_5_]

On May 24, 3:25 pm, "F. D. Lewis" wrote:
just looked at the Skybus 'Rules of Flying' section. found this:

'Oh, and don't sneak food onboard unless you brought enough for the
whole plane.'

this comes after they explain how you save money by buying their food
on the plane.

can they get away with keeping folks from bringing a nice sandwitch on
board? or a soft drink?

Can a restaurant? They are selling the stuff. They don't want
competition.

this seems a bit too much.

Old May 24th, 2007, 09:27 PM posted to rec.travel.air
RAK

"me" wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 24, 3:25 pm, "F. D. Lewis" wrote:
just looked at the Skybus 'Rules of Flying' section. found this:

'Oh, and don't sneak food onboard unless you brought enough for the
whole plane.'

this comes after they explain how you save money by buying their food
on the plane.

can they get away with keeping folks from bringing a nice sandwitch on
board? or a soft drink?

Can a restaurant? They are selling the stuff. They don't want
competition.

The main purpose of a restaurant is to sell you a meal. The main purpose of
an airline is transport.
Of course they can make more or less any rule they want, but to me this rule
a good reason to fly with someone else.

Old May 24th, 2007, 10:24 PM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

In message . com me
wrote:

Can a restaurant? They are selling the stuff. They don't want
competition.

'round these parts, it went to court and was ruled that if the majority
of the meal was purchased at the restaurant, the patrons could not be
penalized for bringing in items which the restaurant does not serve.

Whether that would apply to other jurisdictions or not, I don't know,
but it seems reasonable.

It also seems fair that if you're paying a few hundred for a flight,
bringing a meal which the airline is unwilling or unable to provide
isn't unrealistic either.

The law isn't about fair. Beyond that, who knows.

--
If quitters never win, and winners never quit,
what fool came up with, "Quit while you're ahead"?
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:48 PM posted to rec.travel.air
stitcher

On May 24, 2:47 pm, me wrote:
On May 24, 3:25 pm, "F. D. Lewis" wrote:

just looked at the Skybus 'Rules of Flying' section. found this:

'Oh, and don't sneak food onboard unless you brought enough for the
whole plane.'

this comes after they explain how you save money by buying their food
on the plane.

can they get away with keeping folks from bringing a nice sandwitch on
board? or a soft drink?

Can a restaurant? They are selling the stuff. They don't want
competition.

But generally you can get up and leave a restaurant if they run out of
food,
or don't have things you want to eat (or can eat) on their menu.
Is this airline going to cater to my food allergies, or other dietary
restrictions?
Will they be providing baby food? Low-fat, low-carb, low-salt or
whatever
else the passengers need? Somehow I doubt it.

Old May 24th, 2007, 11:59 PM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

In message .com
stitcher wrote:

But generally you can get up and leave a restaurant if they run out of
food,
or don't have things you want to eat (or can eat) on their menu.
Is this airline going to cater to my food allergies, or other dietary
restrictions?
Will they be providing baby food? Low-fat, low-carb, low-salt or
whatever
else the passengers need? Somehow I doubt it.

Or just bring enough for everyone

Old May 25th, 2007, 02:01 AM posted to rec.travel.air
nospam[_2_]

In article .com,
stitcher wrote:

Is this airline going to cater to my food allergies, or other dietary
restrictions?
Will they be providing baby food? Low-fat, low-carb, low-salt or
whatever
else the passengers need? Somehow I doubt it.

they say that if you have allergies or other dietary needs, bringing
food is allowed.
Old May 25th, 2007, 07:16 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Marty Shapiro

nospam wrote in
:

In article .com,
stitcher wrote:

Is this airline going to cater to my food allergies, or other dietary
restrictions?
Will they be providing baby food? Low-fat, low-carb, low-salt or
whatever
else the passengers need? Somehow I doubt it.

they say that if you have allergies or other dietary needs, bringing
food is allowed.

That solves the problem. Just tell them you are allergic to airline
food!

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)
Old May 25th, 2007, 04:56 PM posted to rec.travel.air
me[_5_]

On May 24, 4:27 pm, "RAK" wrote:
"me" wrote in message

ups.com... On May 24, 3:25 pm, "F. D. Lewis" wrote:
just looked at the Skybus 'Rules of Flying' section. found this:

'Oh, and don't sneak food onboard unless you brought enough for the
whole plane.'

this comes after they explain how you save money by buying their food
on the plane.

can they get away with keeping folks from bringing a nice sandwitch on
board? or a soft drink?

Can a restaurant? They are selling the stuff. They don't want
competition.

The main purpose of a restaurant is to sell you a meal. The main purpose of
an airline is transport.

Cruise ships will prevent you from bringing (well drinking really)
your own alchohol supplies. Theaters typically prevent you from
bringing your own popcorn. The main purpose of any business is to
make money.

Of course they can make more or less any rule they want, but to me this rule
a good reason to fly with someone else.

Likewise, amongst others.

Old May 25th, 2007, 05:08 PM posted to rec.travel.air
TMOliver

"DevilsPGD" wrote in message
In message . com me
wrote:

Can a restaurant? They are selling the stuff. They don't want
competition.

'round these parts, it went to court and was ruled that if the majority
of the meal was purchased at the restaurant, the patrons could not be
penalized for bringing in items which the restaurant does not serve.

Note the health code exception below, along with the contractual
requirements applicable to all sorts of "rentals". Carry in much more than
baby food, and the restaurant may be able to raise the health and safety
flag. I'd like a cite on your court case. There's substantial precedent
that Kosher, Dairy, Halal and other resturants with religious or cultural
bans/objections to certain foods may ban items.

Whether that would apply to other jurisdictions or not, I don't know,
but it seems reasonable.

It also seems fair that if you're paying a few hundred for a flight,
bringing a meal which the airline is unwilling or unable to provide
isn't unrealistic either.

As long as you don't bring a durian. If no food at all is available, I
suspect an airline would be on thin ice objecting to anything unless the
"food" was an item specifically listed as verboten in the "Contract of
Carriage" Some sort of advance notice would seem to be required.

The law isn't about fair. Beyond that, who knows.

My state's alcoholic beverage code outlaws the carrying of one's own liquor,
beer or wine into a "licensed premises", and was only recently amended to
allow diners to carry wine left in a bottle they had purchased out the door
after the meal. One may, on the other hand, carry beer, wine or booze into
an unlicensed restaurant premises for consumption at the discretion of
management (which may charge a corkage fee for glasses, setups, ice, etc.)

Local health codes likely prevent one from carrying much in the way of self-
or outside prepared foods into restaurants, and any number of "halls" and
other places which may be rented for social and other events bar the
bringing in of food other than that provided by the place's own kitchen or
approved caterers. Many municipal facilities follow that rule (and also
strictly regulate the sources of booze).

TMO