STAY AWAY FROM RENT-A-CELLULAR

Old September 5th, 2007, 03:08 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default STAY AWAY FROM RENT-A-CELLULAR

Need to rent a cellular while in EUROPE? Whatever you decide to use
while in europe, STAY AWAY FROM RENT-A-CELLULAR if you go to Europe.
They are perfect crooks. They will charge you international air time
$2.45/ minutes for sms (all competitors will charge 10 to 14 cents) ,
and no matter where the sms is originating from (should be cheaper if
originating from EUROPE). Additionally they may even charge 2 minutes
for a single SMS!!!!
My daughter was in Spain for 6 days and the invoice was for $545!!!
All that customer servie could respond were lame excuses about their
policy (its a french company that did the billing...is explains it
all...).

Beware, they are present in airport which is where they can have a
captive client that will fall for their scheme.

Old September 5th, 2007, 03:39 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Donald Newcomb

wrote in message
ups.com...
Need to rent a cellular while in EUROPE? Whatever you decide to use
while in europe, STAY AWAY FROM RENT-A-CELLULAR if you go to Europe.
They are perfect crooks. They will charge you international air time
$2.45/ minutes for sms (all competitors will charge 10 to 14 cents) ,

If you had asked here (excuse me if you did and I didn't see it) before your
daughter's trip, we would have told you pretty much the same. Not about that
particular company but about all cellular rental firms. They are really
something out of the age of the dinosaurs. You might want to check out
www.prepaidgsm.net.

--
Donald R. Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

Old September 5th, 2007, 05:37 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
PeterL

On Sep 4, 7:39 pm, "Donald Newcomb"
wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

Need to rent a cellular while in EUROPE? Whatever you decide to use
while in europe, STAY AWAY FROM RENT-A-CELLULAR if you go to Europe.
They are perfect crooks. They will charge you international air time
$2.45/ minutes for sms (all competitors will charge 10 to 14 cents) ,

If you had asked here (excuse me if you did and I didn't see it) before your
daughter's trip, we would have told you pretty much the same. Not about that
particular company but about all cellular rental firms. They are really
something out of the age of the dinosaurs. You might want to check outwww.prepaidgsm.net.

--
Donald R. Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

Who rents a cell anymore? The rental companies are out to fleece
anyone who still rents cells.

Old September 5th, 2007, 11:19 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

wrote in message
ups.com...
Need to rent a cellular while in EUROPE? Whatever you decide to use
while in europe, STAY AWAY FROM RENT-A-CELLULAR if you go to Europe.
They are perfect crooks. They will charge you international air time
$2.45/ minutes for sms (all competitors will charge 10 to 14 cents) ,

I don't know about what a US carrier will charge you when roming
in Europe but you won't find a European carrier that charges 12c
pm with a 'normal' tarrif for a call to the US even when calling from
the home country. Most charge upwards of 1 Euro per minute and
2 Euro is not uncommon (I've just checked and mine charges GBP
1.29 = USD2.59). You can often opt into a special tarrif that gives
cheaper overseas calls but you have to know that you need to do
this (and it has a subriscription fee).

Sorry, 2.45c pm for a call from a mobile in Europe to the US is not
out of line with what *most* carriers charge unsavvy customers.

tim

Old September 5th, 2007, 11:21 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"PeterL" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Sep 4, 7:39 pm, "Donald Newcomb"
wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

They're looking to get a return on their investment from a very
niche market (as you yourself said). It is no surprise that
the fees are high because the overheads can be high.

tim

Old September 5th, 2007, 12:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

tim..... wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
Need to rent a cellular while in EUROPE? Whatever you decide to use
while in europe, STAY AWAY FROM RENT-A-CELLULAR if you go to Europe.
They are perfect crooks. They will charge you international air time
$2.45/ minutes for sms (all competitors will charge 10 to 14 cents) ,

I don't know about what a US carrier will charge you when roming
in Europe but you won't find a European carrier that charges 12c
pm with a 'normal' tarrif for a call to the US even when calling from
the home country.

It costs me 9p from the UK on tesco mobile, and 31.5p a minute from an
EU country. That's reflecting the 10% discount I get for auto-top ups.

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
http://www.davidhorne.net - real address on website
Old September 5th, 2007, 01:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Steve Rainbird

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in message
tim..... wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
Need to rent a cellular while in EUROPE? Whatever you decide to use
while in europe, STAY AWAY FROM RENT-A-CELLULAR if you go to Europe.
They are perfect crooks. They will charge you international air time
$2.45/ minutes for sms (all competitors will charge 10 to 14 cents) ,

I don't know about what a US carrier will charge you when roming
in Europe but you won't find a European carrier that charges 12c
pm with a 'normal' tarrif for a call to the US even when calling from
the home country.

It costs me 9p from the UK on tesco mobile, and 31.5p a minute from an
EU country. That's reflecting the 10% discount I get for auto-top ups.

I'm sorry, it costs you 9p to call the US from the UK??

Assuming you are on the "Extra tariff" Then surely it costs you £1.35 -10% =
121.5p = $2.40 a minute?

--
Steve

Old September 5th, 2007, 01:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Steve Rainbird wrote:

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in message
tim..... wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
Need to rent a cellular while in EUROPE? Whatever you decide to use
while in europe, STAY AWAY FROM RENT-A-CELLULAR if you go to Europe.
They are perfect crooks. They will charge you international air time
$2.45/ minutes for sms (all competitors will charge 10 to 14 cents) ,

I don't know about what a US carrier will charge you when roming
in Europe but you won't find a European carrier that charges 12c
pm with a 'normal' tarrif for a call to the US even when calling from
the home country.

It costs me 9p from the UK on tesco mobile, and 31.5p a minute from an
EU country. That's reflecting the 10% discount I get for auto-top ups.

I'm sorry, it costs you 9p to call the US from the UK??

Yes.

Assuming you are on the "Extra tariff" Then surely it costs you £1.35 -10% =
121.5p = $2.40 a minute?

If I dialled direct, sure, but why would I want to do that?

I use 0870/0844 callthoughs- 9p a minute...

Old September 5th, 2007, 01:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Steve Rainbird

Steve Rainbird wrote:

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in message
tim..... wrote:

ups.com...
,

[...]

Aha I see.

--
Steve

Old September 5th, 2007, 02:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister

tim..... wrote:

I don't know about what a US carrier will charge you when roming
in Europe but you won't find a European carrier that charges 12c
pm with a 'normal' tarrif for a call to the US even when calling from
the home country. Most charge upwards of 1 Euro per minute and
2 Euro is not uncommon (I've just checked and mine charges GBP
1.29 = USD2.59). You can often opt into a special tarrif that gives
cheaper overseas calls but you have to know that you need to do
this (and it has a subriscription fee).

An Orange PAYG SIM gives calls from UK to US at 5p per minute, and texts
UK-US are 15p.