Ryanair ripoff

Old January 21st, 2009, 06:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Default Ryanair ripoff

Bartc wrote:

"Tom P" wrote in message
After booking a flight for 3 adults for a total of 201.60¤, the email
confirmation arrived:

PAYMENT DETAILS

********59.94 EUR Total Fare

*******141.66 EUR Taxes, Fees & Charges

********30.00 EUR Passenger Fee: CC

*******231.60 EUR Total Paid

30 Euros Passenger fee? For using a credit card? Is this still legal?

I count on a Ryanair return trip from UK to Europe costing £50 (or £75 if
checking baggage),

You mean £88 if checking one bag.

But, I bought a ticket today to Germany for £29.50...

plus whatever the 'fare' is.

Then you don't get so many surprises.

(This includes a credit card fee of £8 (£4 per leg). Probably this is also
charged per passenger, which is a bit of a swindle as it is after all a
single transaction, and a debit card fee would not be that much. But that's
how Ryanair work)

Tuifly 'works' by charging 50% more than Ryanair in 'taxes and fees' for
flying out of Manchester airport...

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old January 21st, 2009, 06:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
der gediegene dgs

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote, On 01/21/2009 02:08 AM:

[...] Just booked a flight to an airport allegedly
near Dusseldorf (actually, an hour's ride on bus)

Oh yeah, "Dusseldorf-Weeze." Weeze is much closer to the Dutch cities
Nijmegen and Arnhem than to D'dorf. But there's that one-hour bus ride
and then a connection via train (assuming you're dropped off at D'dorf
Hbf) for another 40 minutes to Bonn, plus transfer and wait times. Nice
fare, but that's a substantial hit on your time, compared to flying
directly to DUS or CGN (I'm assuming MAN as your originating airport).
Old January 21st, 2009, 06:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

wrote:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote, On 01/21/2009 02:08 AM:

[...] Just booked a flight to an airport allegedly
near Dusseldorf (actually, an hour's ride on bus)

Oh yeah, "Dusseldorf-Weeze." Weeze is much closer to the Dutch cities
Nijmegen and Arnhem than to D'dorf. But there's that one-hour bus ride
and then a connection via train (assuming you're dropped off at D'dorf
Hbf) for another 40 minutes to Bonn, plus transfer and wait times. Nice
fare, but that's a substantial hit on your time, compared to flying
directly to DUS or CGN (I'm assuming MAN as your originating airport).

Oh, sure- it adds to the time, but I'm already 'travelling' so it
doesn't bother me so much. I enjoy travelling anyway, and usually have
plenty of reading/listening material. Indeed, once I'm into it the
journey isn't long enough!

Old January 21st, 2009, 07:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

Tom P wrote:

After booking a flight for 3 adults for a total of 201.60€, the email
confirmation arrived:

30 Euros Passenger fee? For using a credit card? Is this still legal?

You would have been shown the credit card fee before completing the
transaction.

It is not shown until the email confirmation arrives.

I just tried a booking (stopped before entering cc details). When you've
selected the flights and navigated through the jungle of luggage and
insurance charges, a total charge is shown. Once you select cc type, the
charge goes up. The fee isn't explicitly shown, but you do get the correct
total before paying.

In my case the fee was DKK 75 (EUR 10), which is somewhat excessive and
25% more than what they charged the last time I flew. OTOH, what other
airline offer a return flight for DKK 625 on a pair of random dates?
Old January 21st, 2009, 07:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge13[_2_]

Default martin works on comparisons when he's not in public conversation with horne

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de
On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 18:08:58 +0000, (David Horne, _the_
chancellor (*)) wrote:

Bartc wrote:

"Tom P" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe TUIfly gets a better terminal lounge one with toilets and seats?

I have done similar comparisons and tried to work out exactly how much an
airline is ripping off passengers for "fees". Without a legal challenge or
info
from the airport involved we aren't going to find out how much the fees
are.
--

Martin

Old January 21st, 2009, 09:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Martin wrote:

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 18:49:20 +0000, (David Horne, _the_
chancellor (*)) wrote:

der gediegene dgs
wrote:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote, On 01/21/2009 02:08 AM:

[...] Just booked a flight to an airport allegedly
near Dusseldorf (actually, an hour's ride on bus)

Oh yeah, "Dusseldorf-Weeze." Weeze is much closer to the Dutch cities
Nijmegen and Arnhem than to D'dorf. But there's that one-hour bus ride
and then a connection via train (assuming you're dropped off at D'dorf
Hbf) for another 40 minutes to Bonn, plus transfer and wait times. Nice
fare, but that's a substantial hit on your time, compared to flying
directly to DUS or CGN (I'm assuming MAN as your originating airport).

Oh, sure- it adds to the time, but I'm already 'travelling' so it
doesn't bother me so much. I enjoy travelling anyway, and usually have
plenty of reading/listening material. Indeed, once I'm into it the
journey isn't long enough!

Go by bus in that case.

I meant for short trips!

Old January 21st, 2009, 09:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
der gediegene dgs

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote, On 01/21/2009 10:49 AM:

der gediegene dgs
wrote:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote, On 01/21/2009 02:08 AM:

[...] Just booked a flight to an airport allegedly
near Dusseldorf (actually, an hour's ride on bus)

Oh yeah, "Dusseldorf-Weeze." Weeze is much closer to the Dutch cities
Nijmegen and Arnhem than to D'dorf. But there's that one-hour bus ride
and then a connection via train (assuming you're dropped off at D'dorf
Hbf) for another 40 minutes to Bonn, plus transfer and wait times. Nice
fare, but that's a substantial hit on your time, compared to flying
directly to DUS or CGN (I'm assuming MAN as your originating airport).

Oh, sure- it adds to the time, but I'm already 'travelling' so it
doesn't bother me so much. I enjoy travelling anyway, and usually have
plenty of reading/listening material. Indeed, once I'm into it the
journey isn't long enough!

Sod the bus then, ride a bicycle instead. :-)

No, really, I guess I like to strike a balance, but I've done things
this too ... waking up one fine morning in a town well south of
Cologne, drive a rental car to CGN and turning it in, then taking the
train up to Dortmund Hbf, going to lunch in Dortmund, then taking a
taxi out to DTM airport (should've used public transport, as it turned
out we had plenty of time). All this to take an inexpensive easyJet
flight to Krakow. Good fun, actually.

But D'dorf-Weeze is a little like Frankfurt-Hahn: better for going
just about anywhere other than D'dorf or Frankfurt, respectively. Too
much faffing about with various modes of public transport to finally
arrive at point B, and it cuts into beer-drinking time too. Gotta have
priorities!
Old January 22nd, 2009, 12:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_4_]

Bartc wrote:

"Tom P" wrote in message
After booking a flight for 3 adults for a total of 201.60€, the email
confirmation arrived:

PAYMENT DETAILS

********59.94 EUR Total Fare

*******141.66 EUR Taxes, Fees & Charges

********30.00 EUR Passenger Fee: CC

*******231.60 EUR Total Paid

30 Euros Passenger fee? For using a credit card? Is this still legal?

I count on a Ryanair return trip from UK to Europe costing £50 (or £75
if checking baggage), plus whatever the 'fare' is.

Then you don't get so many surprises.

(This includes a credit card fee of £8 (£4 per leg). Probably this is
also charged per passenger, which is a bit of a swindle as it is after
all a single transaction, and a debit card fee would not be that much.
But that's how Ryanair work)

Quite my point. I fail to see how they they can apply a cc charge per
passenger on a single cc transaction.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 12:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Ddf_Weeze and Hahn are only really useable if you have your own car.
They then have the advantage that parking is relatively cheap.

T.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 12:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne[_2_]

Tom P wrote:

[]
Ddf_Weeze and Hahn are only really useable if you have your own car.

They seem perfectly useable to me without one.