Hurricane Ivan Updates!

Old September 13th, 2004, 03:28 AM
Dillon Pyron

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 19:59:45 -0400, Charles
wrote:

In article , Ray Goldenberg
wrote:

Tropical Weather Update

I don't understand the forecast tracks I keep seeing. Ivan keeps going
west and they keep forecasting northwest but moving it west. It seems
like it could keep going west and landfall in Mexico. I guess they know
more than me but I am beginning to wonder.

Jet stream. Think jet stream. There is also a high positioned over
the Texas Gulf Coast that is driving the hurricanes eastward.

Big weather.
--
dillon

When I was a kid, I thought the angel's name was Hark
and the horse's name was Bob.
Old September 13th, 2004, 03:28 AM
Dillon Pyron

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 19:59:45 -0400, Charles

Old September 13th, 2004, 03:47 AM
Charles

In article , Dillon Pyron
wrote:

Jet stream. Think jet stream. There is also a high positioned over
the Texas Gulf Coast that is driving the hurricanes eastward.

Big weather.

That makes sense but Ivan keeps moving west farther than predicted.
Each plot of the actual location so far has shown it west of the
predicted path on the previous forecast. I expect it will start turning
before hitting Mexico but it could move farther west and hit Mexico
before turning.

--
Charles

Old September 13th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Ray Goldenberg

Hi Everyone,

I received this information from Royal Caribbean and thought it would
be of interest. If you have missed any of my news' postings, they are
available on my web site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Tropical Weather Update

September 12, 2004 - 3 p.m.

Royal Caribbean International continues to closely monitor the path
and progress of Hurricane Ivan to ensure our guests enjoy safe and
comfortable cruises and to make certain our ships steer clear of the
storm. The company also continues to monitor its operations resulting
from Hurricane Frances.

The safety and comfort of our guests are always the foremost concern
of Royal Caribbean International.

Due to damage caused by Hurricane Frances, Royal Caribbean
International is currently unable to bring its ships to Freeport,
Bahamas; and Coco Cay, Bahamas, Royal Caribbean's private island.
Also, Royal Caribbean International's Mariner of the Seas is currently
unable to sail into Port Canaveral, Florida.

In the case of Port Canaveral, a sand bar, 50 feet wide, was created
by Hurricane Frances in the channel leading to the port. This has
reduced the depth of the water in that area to approximately 30 feet.
Mariner of the Seas, which normally sails from Port Canaveral, is one
of the largest cruise ships in the world and requires a minimum water
depth of 35 feet to safely sail. As a result, Mariner of the Seas is
not currently able to sail from Port Canaveral.

Given Hurricane Ivan's location and projected path, we are currently
altering the itineraries of several Royal Caribbean International
ships.

We will update this information three times daily - at 10 a.m., 3 p.m.
and 7 p.m.

Ships sailing from Port Canaveral

Sovereign of the Seas, departed Port Everglades Friday, September 10.
The ship is sailing a modified three-night itinerary, visiting Nassau,
Bahamas, from 8 a.m. to midnight on Saturday; and spending the day at
sea on Sunday. The ship will now return to Port Everglades on Monday
morning, September 13. Royal Caribbean will transport guests from Port
Everglades to Port Canaveral and the Orlando airport at the conclusion
of this sailing.

Sovereign of the Seas normally scheduled to depart Port Canaveral
Monday on a four-night sailing, will now make that sailing from Port
Everglades. The ship will delay its departure from Port Everglades
until 8 p.m. local time, Monday. The ship will sail a modified
itinerary spending the day at sea on Tuesday; make a port call at
Nassau, Bahamas, on Wednesday and Thursday; and return to Port
Canaveral on Friday morning, September 17. Royal Caribbean will
transport guests from Port Canaveral and the Orlando airport to Port
Everglades. At the conclusion of this sailing, the company also will
transport guests from Port Canaveral to Port Everglades and the
Orlando airport.

Sovereign of the Seas will resume its normal Friday and Monday
departures from Port Canaveral starting on Friday, September 17.

Mariner of the Seas, normally scheduled to depart Port Canaveral today
on a seven-night sailing, will now make that sailing from the Port of
Miami. The ship will depart from the Port of Miami at 5 p.m., local
time, today. The ship will sail its normal itinerary and return to the
Port of Miami on Sunday morning, September 19. Royal Caribbean will
transport guests from Port Canaveral and the Orlando airport to the
Port of Miami for this sailing. Guests are requested to arrive at Port
Canaveral or the Orlando airport no later than 12:30 p.m. today. At
the conclusion of this sailing, the company also will return guests to
those locations. Due to Hurricane Ivan, port calls are subject to
change.

Ships sailing from the Port of Miami

Majesty of the Seaswill spend the day at sea on Sunday.

Majesty of the Seas will modify its September 13 sailing. The ship
will depart Miami as scheduled on Monday; make a port call in Nassau,
Bahamas, on Tuesday; spend the day at sea on Wednesday; make a port
call in Key West, Florida, on Thursday; and return to the Port of
Miami on Friday, September 17.

REVISED: Explorer of the Seas will not make its port call at Belize
City, Belize, on Tuesday. Instead, the ship will spend the day at sea
on Tuesday.

Ships sailing from Cape Liberty Cruise Port

Voyager of the Seas currently on its September 10 sailing, will modify
its itinerary due to Hurricane Ivan. The ship will spend the day at
sea on Sunday; make a port call in Labadee, Hispaniola, on Monday;
make a port call in San Juan, Puerto Rico, on Tuesday; make a port
call in Philipsburg, St. Maarten, on Wednesday; make a port call in
St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, on Thursday; spend the day at sea on
Friday and Saturday; and return to Cape Liberty on Sunday, September
19.

Ships sailing from Port of Galveston

REVISED: Rhapsody of the Seas will not make its port calls at Key
West, Florida, on Tuesday; or Georgetown, Cayman Islands, on Thursday.
Instead, the ship will spend the day at on Tuesday; and make a port
call at Belize City, Belize, on Wednesday; and make a port call at
Costa Maya, Mexico, on Thursday.

Old September 13th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Rosalie B.

Charles wrote:

In article , Dillon Pyron
wrote:

Jet stream. Think jet stream. There is also a high positioned over
the Texas Gulf Coast that is driving the hurricanes eastward.

Big weather.

That makes sense but Ivan keeps moving west farther than predicted.
Each plot of the actual location so far has shown it west of the
predicted path on the previous forecast. I expect it will start turning
before hitting Mexico but it could move farther west and hit Mexico
before turning.

The hurricane predictors use different models for their predictions
and those are based on previous history. There are at least 4
different models and on some websites, you can see the different
tracks that have been predicted. If you know where the highs and lows
are, they will have some effect on the storms, varying depending on
how strong they are.

Frances slowed down and lost some strength because of a dry front (as
I understand it) that came east off the coast. I don't think the
forecasters expected that.

Also IMHO sometimes the storms leave a kind of atmospheric 'track'
that steers subsequent storms in the same direction.

In the case of Ivan, originally it was predicted to go north at the
beginning up across the Bahamas to the east coast of FL and maybe
Miami. This was based on those previous models, and on the fact (I
think) that Frances had just been that way.

For some reason, completely unscientific or maybe intuition or wishful
thinking or maybe just contrariness on my part I didn't think it would
do that, and it turned out that I was right. Last night I told my
husband that I was concern that Ivan would turn and go hit Belize, and
this morning it looks as though it might hit the end of the Yucatan
above Belize.

Storms do not always do as the models predict they will. There have
been storms that have gone backwards (east or south instead of north
and west). While the predictions have gotten better, the accuracy
depends on how well the forecast model takes all the factors into
account.

It's much better now than when the Labor Day hurricane hit Islamorada.
But they didn't get the track of Charlee quite right so where it went
was kind of a surprise - the people who prepared weren't the people
that needed to prepare.

That's the problem really - crying wolf and evacuating people that
don't need it so then the next time they say - well we didn't need to
go last time so we won't go this time. Because making preparations is
a pain. It isn't just getting batteries and toilet paper.

It's a delicate balance judging what the strength of the wind and the
height of the storm surge is likely to be at your location. For
Isabel, we shut all the house shutters and took the bimini off the
boat and secured the boat for storm surge,
http://www12.virtualtourist.com/m/4a9c6/c400e/

What we did proved adequate, but Isabel lost a lot of wind strength
and the storm surge was the problem. Did the same for Gaston and it
fizzled out and dumped on Richmond.

grandma Rosalie
Old September 13th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Rosalie B.

Old September 13th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Ray Goldenberg

Hi Everyone,

I received this information from Royal Caribbean and thought it would
be of interest. If you have missed any of my news' postings, they are
available on my web site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Tropical Weather Update

September 12, 2004 - 7 p.m.

[...]

At this time, no other Royal Caribbean International ships are being
impacted by tropical weather. We will continue to closely monitor
weather conditions and update this information at 10 a.m. Monday.