Everglades and Keys

Old April 1st, 2004, 10:02 AM
Peter Byford

Default Everglades and Keys

Hi,

Early next February we plan to spend a week or so in Florida.

Our current ideas are to fly to Orlando and spend a couple of days at Epcott
etc. then drive down to Miami and explore the Everglades and the Keys.

After staying in Miami for a night we thought we do the following and would
like advice on places to stay and what to see please or changes to this
plan.
1. Drive into Everglades see Shark Valley etc. perhaps stay overnight at
Flamingo.
2. Drive along lower part of Everglades and then down to keys possibly
driving to Key West - stay overnight at Key West.
3. Drive back along keys , stopping at Marine Park near key Largo, then onto
to Miami - stay overnight
4. Fly home

Thanks for your help,
Peter Byford

Old April 1st, 2004, 02:51 PM
fishman

"Peter Byford" wrote in message
Hi,

Early next February we plan to spend a week or so in Florida.

Our current ideas are to fly to Orlando and spend a couple of days at

Epcott
etc. then drive down to Miami and explore the Everglades and the Keys.

After staying in Miami for a night we thought we do the following and

would
like advice on places to stay and what to see please or changes to this
plan.
1. Drive into Everglades see Shark Valley etc. perhaps stay overnight at
Flamingo.

Check the map - Shark Valley and Flamingo ARE NOT attached - SV is on the
north end of the park, and to get to Flamingo is a trip of several hours.
http://nps.gov/ever/ Both areas have advantages, but most of what you will
see at Shark Valley you can see on the main park road drive to Flamingo,
just at various stops instead of just one. For the up-close to the
alligators you walk the Anhinga Trail, for the hardwood hammock there are
both the Gumbo-Limbo and the Mahogany Hammock Trail , for the view of the
sawgrass prairie from a height stop at pahayokee, for the birds there are
several stops - Mrazek and 9 Mile Ponds are among the best. The Main Park
Road is 38 miles and can take all day is you really stop and look - plus you
can pull off the road just about anywhere and walk though the sawgrass to
any hammock you see nearby and explore on your own (if you don't mind
getting wet, of course). Flamingo Lodge is quite nice, the restaurant is
good and although I have not been in a while they used to have a small
lounge for a quiet drink in the evening. It certainly would make a great
wau to spend a day - and the mosquitoes SHOULD be scarce in February but
never depend upon it!!

2. Drive along lower part of Everglades and then down to keys possibly
driving to Key West - stay overnight at Key West.

There is not much to see of the 'lower Evergaldes' as you drive to the Keys,
it's just low mangroves off on your right, then Florida Bay, but most often
there is development between you and the water. There are a few places to
go - Lignumvitae Key or Indian Key but no NPS services.
http://www.floridastateparks.org/lig...ey/default.asp
http://www.floridastateparks.org/indiankey/default.asp

3. Drive back along keys , stopping at Marine Park near key Largo, then

onto
to Miami - stay overnight

http://www.floridastateparks.org/pennekamp/default.asp Pennekamp is neat,
but if you are going to go snorkeling, you might want to consider staying in
Key largo - swimming in the sun is actually quite strenuous and very
relaxing - a long drive afterward is not near as much fun as a short drive,
a walk on the beach and a drink while watching the sunset.

4. Fly home

That part is easy - enjoy your flight!!

Chris

Thanks for your help,
Peter Byford

Old April 2nd, 2004, 03:03 AM
Brian

"fishman" wrote:

[...]

There are also some boat trips available from Flamingo that we
enjoyed. The sunset cruise is beautiful. I was bitten a couple of
times by mosquitos in Feb. Not eaten up by any means but there were
some.
The area is also interesting because there are gators and crocs in the
same place.

Old April 2nd, 2004, 03:30 AM
fishman

"Brian" wrote in message
"fishman" wrote:

There are also some boat trips available from Flamingo that we
enjoyed. The sunset cruise is beautiful. I was bitten a couple of
times by mosquitos in Feb. Not eaten up by any means but there were
some.
The area is also interesting because there are gators and crocs in the
same place.

I have heard of crocs down there but never saw one. If you are a birder,
it's paradise! There are also bicycle trails and canoe trails - but to be
caught on the other side of West Lake with the winter wind against you is
more adventure than I am prepared to do more than once!! We were just on
the Anhinga Trail this week and the water is pretty high, so few gators
gathered; the anhingas are almost done nesting and nary a mosquito in biting
distance.

Chris

Old April 2nd, 2004, 02:58 PM
Peter Byford

Chris, Brian,

Thanks for information.

Birds are an interest to us and we were hoping to see the Everglades at
dusk. It seems that Flamingo Lodge is fully booked in January and February.
Any ideas where the best alternative accommodation might be please?

Regards,
Peter

Old April 3rd, 2004, 02:16 AM
Brian

"fishman" wrote:

I have heard of crocs down there but never saw one.

There was one near the boat dock. There was an embankment and it was
only about 4-5 ft. down. Got some good closeup pictures.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 02:20 AM
Brian

"Peter Byford" wrote:

Chris, Brian,

Thanks for information.

Birds are an interest to us and we were hoping to see the Everglades at
dusk. It seems that Flamingo Lodge is fully booked in January and February.
Any ideas where the best alternative accommodation might be please?

Regards,
Peter

We stayed in South Beach and did it as a day trip on Valentine's Day.
It is a drive down from there though to Flamingo.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 02:24 AM
Brian

"Peter Byford" wrote:

Chris, Brian,

Thanks for information.

Birds are an interest to us and we were hoping to see the Everglades at
dusk. It seems that Flamingo Lodge is fully booked in January and February.
Any ideas where the best alternative accommodation might be please?

Regards,
Peter

Oh, we did take the sunset cruise which left in the middle of Feb.
about 5:15. It was dark when we got back.
If you're interested in the Flamingo Lodge, you might keep checking
for cancellations. People change their plans a lot.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 02:39 AM
fishman

"Peter Byford" wrote:

Chris, Brian,

Thanks for information.

Birds are an interest to us and we were hoping to see the Everglades at
dusk. It seems that Flamingo Lodge is fully booked in January and

February.
Any ideas where the best alternative accommodation might be please?

Regards,
Peter

Dusk at one of the ponds is simply fabulous - ask the rangers or one of the
birders there which one has the best viewing. The closest you can get
outside the park is Florida City or Homestead - there are several modest
chain motels on US 1 that wouldn't be too much of a drive. No ritzy hotels,
just a Hampton Inn, a Best Western, a Comfort Inn, a Travelodge, some
others plus many small non-chain places. Going all the way back to Miami
Beach or down to Key Largo would be a bit too much if you stayed in Flamingo
past sunset and had dinner there overlooking the bay. Caveat, I haven't
been to the lodge since the hurricane in '92 so I do not know anything about
how they may have re-designed. Did you see if they had a waiting list,
perhaps??

http://www.tropicaleverglades.com/accommodations.htm

Chris