Anyone Still Use Traveler’s Checks?

Old April 20th, 2009, 07:54 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
geno.y

Default Anyone Still Use Traveler’s Checks?

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone still used traveler’s checks when traveling
in Asia?

TIA

Geno
Old April 20th, 2009, 08:04 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 11:54:23 -0700, geno.y wrote:

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone still used traveler’s checks when traveling in
Asia?

Nope, no point these days.

ATMs everywhere I've been for the past few years.

My UK HSBC debit card has worked everywhere I've taken it in Asia, the
Middle East and the USA.

That includes everywhere from the cash machine in a 7/11 in a one horse
town in Texas to a rather dirty 'hole in the wall' ATM in Goa.

--
William Black
Old April 20th, 2009, 08:46 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"William Black" kirjoitti
On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 11:54:23 -0700, geno.y wrote:

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone still used traveler’s checks when traveling in
Asia?

Nope, no point these days.

ATMs everywhere I've been for the past few years.

My UK HSBC debit card has worked everywhere I've taken it in Asia, the
Middle East and the USA.

That includes everywhere from the cash machine in a 7/11 in a one horse
town in Texas to a rather dirty 'hole in the wall' ATM in Goa.

I still use them. It is very secure travelling money. Replacement is
efficient.

Old April 20th, 2009, 09:23 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 22:46:20 +0300, Markku Grönroos wrote:

"William Black" kirjoitti
On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 11:54:23 -0700, geno.y wrote:

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone still used traveler’s checks when traveling
in Asia?

Nope, no point these days.

ATMs everywhere I've been for the past few years.

My UK HSBC debit card has worked everywhere I've taken it in Asia, the
Middle East and the USA.

That includes everywhere from the cash machine in a 7/11 in a one horse
town in Texas to a rather dirty 'hole in the wall' ATM in Goa.

I still use them. It is very secure travelling money. Replacement is
efficient.

Why am I not suprised...

Tell me, do you use them at home or do you usually trust yourself not to
drop you money everywhere?

--
William Black
Old April 21st, 2009, 12:00 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

On Apr 20, 12:46*pm, "Markku Grönroos" wrote:
Replacement is efficient.

I agree. Once when I was traveling alone, I had misplaced my cash,
travelers checques, ATM cards, and credit cards. I was able to get
immediate replacements for my TC and my AmEx card, saving my
vacation. I consider it to be last resort insurnace that I hope I do
not need to exercise Normally, I deposit the TCs in my bank account
when I return.

Old April 21st, 2009, 11:33 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"Chris Blunt" kirjoitti
om...

I've never seen any value in taking travelers checks. They're just
something else to have to worry about getting stolen. If you don't buy
them in the first place then that money stays safely in your bank
account at home.

You should also have access to the account which is not always the case when
abroad.

Old April 21st, 2009, 11:34 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"William Black" kirjoitti

Tell me, do you use them at home or do you usually trust yourself not to
drop you money everywhere?

Money? I don't carry money at home. Why should I?

Old April 21st, 2009, 11:37 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 20:11:00 +1000, Alan S wrote:

That is not the case when I am alone in foreign lands. Although I don't
use traveller's cheques I do use a secret wallet, a passport and backup
CC and cash. Not something I need at home. If I get robbed at home it is
an unpleasant inconvenience. If I lose my passport or the ability to
access funds in a foreign land it can be a bloody disaster.

People lose their passports and money all the time when in exotic places
when travelling. Speak to someone who has worked somewhere that has a
'consulate function'.

It's not a disaster, it's a problem.

If you change your systems of doing things you increase the chances of a
disaster.

--
William Black
Old April 21st, 2009, 01:04 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chris Blunt[_2_]

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 13:33:07 +0300, "Markku Grönroos"
wrote:

"Chris Blunt" kirjoitti
viestissä:90hqu4l2k7mrtvtj469rbg0l7g7f8vai7s@4ax. com...

I've never seen any value in taking travelers checks. They're just
something else to have to worry about getting stolen. If you don't buy
them in the first place then that money stays safely in your bank
account at home.

You should also have access to the account which is not always the case when
abroad.

I do if I take the precautions I've just described. In the unlikely
event of the very worst happening, I can always request my bank to
remit money to me locally.

Chris