Thessaloniki or Peloponnesian Peninsula

Old May 28th, 2007, 04:39 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
steve

Default Thessaloniki or Peloponnesian Peninsula

We are planning to visit Greece next year during Orthodox Easter.
Unfortunately, we have a limited amount of time and must choose
between visiting the Peloponnesian peninsula or Thessaloniki.

Reasons for going to Thessaloniki
We would be there for Easter
The Byzantine churches
Philip II tomb
The churches at Metora are on the way from Athens
More variety than seeing more ancient Greece sites in the
Peloponnesian Peninsula

Reasons against
Long way from Athens
Could be visited on a future trip to Bulgaria and other "Eastern
Europe" sites

Reasons for the Peloponnesian Peninsula
Olympia
The theater @ Epidavros
Tombs @ Mycenae
Probably our only chance to see these sites

Reasons against the Peloponnesian Peninsula
Less variety
Will see theater @ Delphi
Metora churches are out of the way

Any thoughts?

Also
How difficult will it be to get around during Easter week and will a
lot of places be closed? I expect things to be closed Easter Sunday
but what about the rest of Easter week?

Thanks
Steve Gerdemann

Old May 28th, 2007, 06:28 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
george

On May 28, 5:39 am, steve wrote:
[...]

I've never been to Thessaloniki, but I've spent a week driving around
the Peloponnesian Peninsula a number of years ago. There is plenty to
see and do besides what you have mentioned. In Spring the snow covered
mountains SW of Sparta are impressive as are the Byzatine ruins at
Mistras. The old town of Monemvasia shouldn't be missed, and cars
cannot enter the one entry gate. There is a cave by Pyrgos Dirou
where you take a boat through it. At Diakofto you can take a cogwheel
train up the moutain gorge. Be sure to get off at the village halfway
up and do not go to the end. Across the Gulf of Corinth is the nice
seaside town of Nafpaktos whch has a Venetian fort, and then Delphi is
just a short distance when returning to Athens. There are a lot of
other good things we missed, but sure loved the acropolis in Sparta
in the evening with the birds singing in the olive grove and the sun
setting on the snow covered mountains although it has almost no ruins,
and like to contrast it to the tourist-crammed acropolis in Athens
whch it was impossible to enjoy.

George