National Geographic & Linblad Team UP!

Old October 14th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Ray Goldenberg

Default National Geographic & Linblad Team UP!

Hi Everyone,

I received this press release from Linblad Expeditions & National
Geographic and thought it would be of interest. If you have missed
any of my news' postings, they are available on my web site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC AND LINDBLAD EXPEDITIONS FORGE STRATEGIC ALLIANCE

Travel and Exploration Pioneers Come Together To Bring Innovation to
Expedition Travel Sector

NEW YORK/WASHINGTON
National Geographic and Lindblad Expeditions have formed a
multifaceted strategic alliance that combines the strengths of two
pioneers in exploration and travel, making it possible for more
individuals to become active, engaged explorers. Lindblad's flagship,
M.S. Endeavour, will relaunch as the National Geographic Endeavour
beginning in April 2005, signifying the beginning of a partnership
that brings together the scientific innovation and expedition
leadership that defines the two organizations.

Announced today by John Fahey, president and CEO of the National
Geographic Society, and Sven Lindblad, president and founder of
Lindblad Expeditions, the alliance includes the following key
elements:
1) An education platform that will both enhance the expedition
experience and bring its findings to an audience far beyond expedition
participants;
2) Technological innovations across the Lindblad fleet, with
particular focus on the National Geographic Endeavour; where new,
state-of-the-art equipment will allow for more extensive underwater
exploration; and
3) An expert advisory panel of world-renowned researchers, scientists
and explorers, including oceanographer and National Geographic
Explorer-in-Residence Sylvia Earle and National Geographic
Contributing Photographer-in-Residence Emory Kristof, which will help
shape conservation, research and education initiatives.

"For more than a century National Geographic has been introducing
people to the world's most remote and pristine locales, educating
people about diverse cultures and places, and instilling a sense of
appreciation of what makes our planet unique," said Fahey. "Together
with Lindblad, we are able to extend our platform for research and
discovery to their fleet of ships, enhancing opportunities for
scientific discovery and research for our scientists, for expedition
travelers and for all National Geographic members."

"When my father first ventured to untouched corners of the planet in
1958 with his first groups of travelers, he would have only dreamed
about joining forces with National Geographic," said Lindblad.
"Together, we can bring the best scientific and technological
innovation to all aspects of our expeditions -- from underwater
cameras and on-board technology, to engaging our guests as active
participants in scientific research, to enhancing our local
conservation efforts -- this is clearly a case of one plus one
equaling as much as we can both imagine."

The new advisory panel, made up of more than a dozen National
Geographic experts, will join Lindblad's team to generate new
initiatives regarding research on board ship, local conservation
efforts, scientific data collection, educational programming and many
other topics. A major focus will be in the area of marine exploration,
including supporting scientists on the shipboard platform; launching
National Geographic Crittercam and rope cam (video and data-logging
systems) projects from the ship; providing opportunities for guest
interaction with National Geographic grantees and scientists on board
the ships; and collaborating on providing enhanced underwater
experiences to travelers through new, state-of-the-art equipment.

Expedition travelers will have opportunities to interact at sea and on
shore with National Geographic explorers, researchers, photographers
and filmmakers along with Lindblad's expedition leaders and
naturalists.

The inaugural voyage of the National Geographic Endeavour, from
Valparaiso, Chile, to the Panama Canal, departs April 1, 2005. Joining
the voyage will be Lindblad, Fahey and a team from National
Geographic, including high-altitude archaeologist and National
Geographic Explorer-in-Residence Johan Reinhard, best known for his
discovery of the Inca ice maiden in Peru; archaeologist Guillermo
Cock, whose excavation of ancient Inca mummies was featured in
National Geographic magazine and funded by National Geographic grants;
and National Geographic photographer Pablo Corral.

About National Geographic
The 116-year-old National Geographic Society is one of the world's
largest nonprofit scientific and educational organizations. It reaches
more than 270 million people each month through its five magazines,
the National Geographic Channel, books, films, videos, maps and
interactive media. The Society has funded more than 7,500 scientific
research projects and supports an education program combating
geographic illiteracy. National Geographic's travel products and
services include National Geographic Traveler and Adventure magazines,
travel guide books, maps and National Geographic Expeditions, the
Society's travel program that operates more than 100 trips each year
to destinations around the globe.

About Lindblad Expeditions
Lindblad Expeditions was founded in 1979, originally as a division of
Lindblad Travel, which was founded in 1958 by Lars-Eric Lindblad, the
pioneer of expedition travel. Lindblad operates a fleet of six ships
in regions such as Galapagos, Antarctica, Arctic Norway, Alaska and
Baja California, to name a few. The company is known for its
commitment to sustainable tourism and is the recipient of many
environmental awards, including the Conde Nast Traveler Ecotourism
Award (2002) and the ASTA/Smithsonian Magazine Environmental Award
(1993). Sven Lindblad is a member of the General Assembly of the
Charles Darwin Foundation for the Galapagos Islands. He serves on the
National Council of the World Wildlife Fund and the board of directors
of the Mexican Fund for the Conservation for Nature. He is a founding
member of the Galapagos Conservation Fund and is a recipient of the
United Nations Environmental Programme Global 500 Award (2001).