Pre-empting the scare mongerers...

Old September 3rd, 2007, 07:56 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

Default Pre-empting the scare mongerers...

On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 08:07:32 -0700, wrote:

On Aug 31, 12:52 am, Marc Lurie
wrote:
If you walked into a Cabela's store and bought a whole range of safari
clothing, you'll stick out here like a sore thumb. ;-)

Hi Marc,

Well, in fact I have bought boots from them in the past. As for their
product line I can appreciate your point (not my style at all).

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with Cabela's range (I wish
we had a branch in Johannesburg), but tourists arrive at the airport
with freshly pressed camo that still has the price tag on, neat new
bush hats and unscuffed boots. :-)

Who
in South Africa (a store) represents the place one would shop for
casual clothes worn around the house and out to market?

There are several chain stores that sell good quality clothing.
Edgars, Stuttafords, and Markhams are in the upper end of the market,
with Woolworths, Mr. Price, Sales House in the mid-range. There's
Jet, Pep, and Ackermans in the lower range.

That's a great idea to look at crowd photos. I'll have a look around
and see if I can find any. I'll post links on this thread.

Thanks, I will look forward to anything you might find.

Carrying things to the extreme (or rather, the mundane), if we were
wearing khaki, would that mark us as being from the veld? Hicks or
easy marks, so to speak, when in Durban?

:-) I guess that depends on what you look like in Khaki. Nothing
says "tourist" better than freshly pressed khaki ensembles worn
inapropriately in Durban. Unless you're really FROM the bush, don't
try to look like you are.
For Durban think Orlando or Miami without plaid or Hawaiian prints.

Also, the Afrikaaner Right Wing factions traditionally wear khaki, and
they're really tourists in their own country. :-)

Marc