Anyone for Bulgaria

Old April 15th, 2009, 07:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

Default Anyone for Bulgaria

Having just come back from a trip does anyone want a report?

tim

Old April 15th, 2009, 07:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

tim..... wrote:

Having just come back from a trip does anyone want a report?

Absolutely. We've considered a visit there.

I'll consider a short one on Valencia which, somewhat to my surprise
(after initial impressions) was well worth 5 days... indeed, could have
stayed longer.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old April 15th, 2009, 07:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Shawn The Sheep

On Apr 15, 8:01*pm, "tim....." wrote:
Having just come back from a trip does anyone want a report?

tim

....oh....go on then....
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

Default Bulgaria Report Part 1

OK.....

Day 1) (8/4)
Currency is Lev (the plural is Leva, but I will probably type Lev) and 1 Lev
= almost exactly 50 Euro cents.

Booked with Wizzair to fly to Sofia - 7/4 to 14/4. Decided on 5 days notice
that I had these dates free and selected Sofia as it was the cheapest (new)
destination that I could find - 170 pounds. If you book on more notice you
can get there for half this. In order not to be stuck I have pre-booked the
final 4 days at a hotel in Sofia but have nothing booked for the first two
days as I couldn't find any online options to match my plans. When I am
there I pick up a great guide "in you pocket" which has a web site that will
probably fulfil this task www.inyourpocket.com. (They do other East
European countries as well so I'm prepared for the future!)

The out bound flights arrive very late, alternatively at 23:50 and 02:55. I
flew on the 7th as I decide that arriving at 3 in the morning, and waiting
for the first bus, was preferable to 23:50 and perhaps missing the last bus
(which I now know that you will). I was sceptical about booking Wizzair
when they started out, as I thought that they might not last long, but they
will be five year's old next month so I think that they are safely
established now.

I travelled with hand luggage only and declined the fast boarding/extra leg
room option. As most of their customers are Eastern Europeans on long
breaks they all have large bags to check in, so there's no problem finding
space for hand luggage. I (as I am want to do) arrived early at Luton and
was number 6 to check in. But you get nothing for this. After the *one*
priority boarder had boarded, the rest is a free for all. As I was tardy to
the gate, I got on near the end but managed to find an aisle seat and space
for my bag near the front.

Arrived on time and, of course, the airport is dead - only the taxi office
and a small bar is still open. Wizz (and EZY) arrive at the old Terminal 1,
there's a new Terminal 2 about a km away so facilities there could be
different. If you want a taxi to the town centre it should be about 16 Lev.
As I don't have a hotel booked I have no neeed to rush to town. I get 100
Lev from the bank machine, change one of the notes into coins at the bar and
wait for the 05:00 (no 84) bus. The stop is right outside the terminal,
tickets are 1 Lev and you can buy from the driver. The bus terminates at
the east side of the city centre at Orlov (Eagle) Most. T2 is served by a
different bus (284) but it also terminates here. There's currently no
obvious bus to get to the centre from here so I had to walk, but in a few
month's time the new metro extension will open for this one stop. You need
a second ticket for each separate bus/tram/metro so you may still want to
walk, it isn't far. From the centre I catch the tram to the railway station
where I arrive at 6:00.

I have been advised by people at ur that I should try to ride the small
railway to Bansko and as this is an easier trip from Plovdid, so for no
other reason, this is my first destination, the 6:38 slow train to Plovdiv.
(There's a fast at 6:30 but I have no need to arrive earlier). I have to
write down my requirements for the ticket as no-one understand English, the
fare is about 7 Lev.

The train is a new one of the type used on many local German lines (even the
seat covers are the same) so it's comfortable. The scenery is as expected
for an east European country, mostly dull and depressing with lots of semi
derelict houses and a countryside that is littered with rubbish. Whilst,
for me, this is part of the charm (!) of the country, I'm surprised that it
doesn't set off alarm bells in the Westerners who invest in houses here - oh
well, their problem! The entrance into Plovdid is also dull and depressing
and I wonder if I have made the right decision. It is now 10:00 so not too
early to look for a hotel. My 10 year old guide book shows a hotel
(Leipzig) near the station, but it is full. I wander into the centre and
discover it is full of roman ruins, but that's for later. The Tourist
office can't book me a room but they direct me to a "hostel"
(www.plovdivguest.com) that has rooms. I don't want a dormitory bed at 9
Euro, though they have an individual room, with shower, at 25 Euro for one
person and I take that. This is up the hill on the way to the Roman theatre
and the old town and is OK for the price, but the only take cash (Euro or
Lev) so now have an almost empty wallet! Both the Tourist Office and the
Hostel staff speak English.

Plovdid is good for a day with its Roman ruins, which are not very well
presented being surrounded by "soviet" era buildings, 14 century Mosque and
a medieval old town, so it is worth coming. I need some more money, but I
cannot use my Bank card again today so I have to use a bureaux. I noticed
that some have a spread of 25% and some 2%, in the same street. What is
this? Who is going to change money at 20% less than the place next door. I
go into one of the better ones, wondering if there's a hidden commission,
but there isn't, I get exactly the rate on the board.

Bulgarian towns have kiosks selling bakery items full of cheese/meat/veg so
I buy some lunch. Fortunately there's little pictures of what forms the
filling of each one and it's quite easy to work out what you are buying.
After two savoury items, two sweet ones and an ice cream I am stuffed and
have to skip the evening meal. Actually I like these things so much I could
happily do this every day, but I need to try some "proper" restaurants so
will have to resist temptation each day!

Day 2) The train that I need to connect to Bansko leaves at 8:00 and as
breakfast doesn't start until then I have to miss it. The train that I have
to catch requires a reservation and the clerk has to mark off a free seat on
her sheet and write a number on my ticket, but inside the train it is free
seating. Again I have to write this destination down as I obviously don't
pronounce it correctly, but there's only one time choice today, cost 10 Lev.

I have to change at Septemvri. We are 20 minutes late and there is only 2
minutes for my connection. Of course, on a line that only has three trains
a day, it waits. This is a narrow gauge railway through the mountain taking
5 hours to travel 119 km! A good part of this time is "wasted" sitting in
stations doing nothing. It is a scenic ride that you can find more info
he http://ccgi.ajg41.plus.com/travel/bu...-narrow-gauge/. The most
scenic part is the first half and as it is so slow, almost no-one goes the
full way. Most people are just using it to go a few stops between their
village and the closest major town.

Arrive in Bansko at 14:00 and walk into the centre. The info office is
closed and I look for a hotel. There is no sign of one and I go and ask in
the nearest restaurant (as that is the place I have the best chance of
finding an English speaker). Turns out that it is a hotel, but here is no
sign outside to say so. Skiing is over for the season and it is low season
rates. 37 Lev for room, breakfast *and* dinner. Obviously, this is cash
only as well, and I don't even get a receipt! The room is perfectly
adequate, with a shower and cable TV, which for some reason, despite may
foreign channels, has no English News channel?

Bansko is not especially interesting. It has a church, and a few museums to
visit, but if you aren't here for the skiing, 3-4 hours is enough.
Obviously it's a great place to stop over in the summer as it has lots of
hotels - if you can find them - I only saw a couple of others during my walk
around. Though options for getting here by bus/train are limited.

Dinner turns out to be a fixed meal with no menu. I get a choice of red or
white wine, which is nice. The starter is not good for Mr Fussy and more
than half my lettuce and cucumber salad goes back untouched. The main
course is better, Chicken in cream sauce with ham, shallots and mushrooms
covered in cheese, though I would have preferred it served with potatoes,
rice, pasta or anything instead of the two slices of dry bread that I got. I
wait for a bit but there's no sign of a dessert so I go off to the kiosk for
an ice cream!

(Sofia tomorrow)

tim

Old April 15th, 2009, 09:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gerry[_5_]

"tim....." wrote in message
Having just come back from a trip does anyone want a report?

Trip reports very welcome - especially from Eastern Europe.

Gerry

Old April 15th, 2009, 11:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ian F.

"tim....." wrote in message

OK.....

Fantastic! I love trip reports and that was a great one. Many thanks Tim.

We should do more of it. I did a huge report on a trip to Las Vegas, which
was well received on the relevant newsgroup. Why do we not do it here?

Ian

Old April 16th, 2009, 08:12 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Shawn The Sheep

On Apr 15, 10:41*pm, "tim....." wrote:
[...]

did you notice how Bulgarians carry their bread ?
Old April 16th, 2009, 08:54 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"Shawn The Sheep" wrote in message
On Apr 15, 10:41 pm, "tim....." wrote:
OK.....

(Sofia tomorrow)

tim

did you notice how Bulgarians carry their bread ?

In little plastic bags. I brought one back, do you want it?

tim