Ryanair considers 'fat tax' for obese air passengers

Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:15 AM posted to rec.sport.rugby.union,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Walter Mitty

Default Ryanair considers 'fat tax' for obese air passengers

Uncle Dave writes:

On Apr 22, 2:38Â*pm, William Black wrote:
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 06:34:04 -0700, La-a-a-a-a-aarry the La-a-a-a-a-a-a-mb
wrote:

Ryanair considers 'fat tax' for obese air passengers Ryanair may impose
a “fat tax” after more than 30,000 passengers voted to levy charges on
overweight passengers.

Knowing Ryanair it'll be levied on anyone over 50kg...

I flew with Ryanair once. I wouldn't do it again - they're a joke.
Overpriced compared to regular airlines (once you take into account
all the hidden extras - phone call charges, credit card fees, etc.)

What a load of bull****. As you know I live in germany, and so many
people fly back and forth for less than the taxi fair to the airport.

If you want to big it up fine, but dont blame them for bringing the
prices down for the average commuter. You want all the perks? Grand. Go
first class BA.

mg voice LOL

and entirely misleading destinations (we flew from "Frankfurt/Hahn"
which is like "London/Penzance"). Let's face it, Aer Lingus must have
been ****ing abysmal for a shower of ****e like Ryanair to do better.

UD

Don't fly them then.

--
I want to keep fighting because it is the only thing that keeps me out
of the hamburger joints. If I don't fight, I'll eat this planet.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:59 AM posted to rec.sport.rugby.union,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
didgerman[_2_]

Uncle Dave wrote:
On Apr 22, 5:20 pm, didgerman wrote:
Uncle Dave wrote:
On Apr 22, 2:34 pm, La-a-a-a-a-aarry the La-a-a-a-a-a-a-mb
wrote:
Ryanair considers 'fat tax' for obese air passengers
Ryanair may impose a “fat tax” after more than 30,000 passengers voted
to levy charges on overweight passengers.
By Charles Starmer-Smith (Nigel's brother)
Last Updated: 1:36PM BST 22 Apr 2009
Ryanair considers 'fat tax' for obese air passengers
A survey this week showed that 83 per cent of Telegraph Travel readers
are in favour of charging obese passengers for an extra seat Photo:
GETTY IMAGES
The controversial move was announced today after a third of passengers
on the Irish airline’s website voted in favour of charging fees for
obese passengers.
These would be the same passengers who are in favour of mobiles on
planes?

What's wrong with that?

If you don't know, there's no point trying to explain.

Ooh Dave, pithy.
I'm only asking because the last I heard there were no issues with
phones, on planes, in hospitals and even next to baby's brain. Well the
last one is under review, but you get the idea.

UD

Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:53 AM posted to rec.sport.rugby.union,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Uncle Dave

wrote:
[...]

There's no safety issue cellphone use on planes. They have nil effect
on navigation systems. It's simply an overly cautious FAA rule.

GA pilots regularly use their cellphones while flying, including IFR
flights.

Safety? Who cares about safety?! There are people who are paid to
worry about that sort of thing. Hopefully I won't have to do it any
more, but having commuted each week by plane for a large part of the
last ten years I would have to top myself if I had to put up with
eejits either side of me who couldn't manage a couple of hours on a
plane without making calls. I would probably kill someone. Myself I
expect...

UD
Old April 23rd, 2009, 10:00 AM posted to rec.sport.rugby.union,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Uncle Dave

On Apr 23, 8:59*am, didgerman wrote:

What's wrong with that?

If you don't know, there's no point trying to explain.

Ooh Dave, pithy.
I'm only asking because the last I heard there were no issues with
phones, on planes, in hospitals and even next to baby's brain. Well the
last one is under review, but you get the idea.

There are few havens of peace from the nonsensical and mostly
unecessary yacking and clicking of those addicted to mobile telephony
and airplanes are one. A large part of the populace is now so
insecure that they have to constantly assure people where they are -
"I'm on the train... no, just thought I'd ring and say "hallo"..." and
that in the so-called quiet carriages. Providing somebody makes a
suitably cheap and discreet jamming device I have nothing against it,
otherwise can you imagine the increase in air rage?

Personally, I hope it transpires that mobile phones do cause nasty
diseases - it might make people think twice before annoying their
fellow travellers though I doubt it.

UD
Old April 23rd, 2009, 10:52 AM posted to rec.sport.rugby.union,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On Apr 23, 7:00*pm, Uncle Dave wrote:
[...]

So do I by christ, so do I. And if so I'd best start drinking a lot.

There are a lot of graves that will need ****ing upon...

CP
Old April 23rd, 2009, 10:56 AM posted to rec.sport.rugby.union,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
didgerman[_2_]

Mike wrote:

Between 1951 and 2002, the average female has put on 1.5 inches around
the hips, the research found.

Actually in 51 years thats not bad. My wife's gone up a dress size in ten.

Me too.

Mike

Old April 23rd, 2009, 11:37 AM posted to rec.sport.rugby.union,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
BrritSki

Uncle Dave wrote:

"I'm on the train... no, just thought I'd ring and say "hallo"..." and
that in the so-called quiet carriages. Providing somebody makes a
suitably cheap and discreet jamming device I have nothing against it...

There ya go unc: http://www.globalgadgetuk.com/Personal.htm

I wonder if they interfere with aircraft systems ?
Old April 23rd, 2009, 11:55 AM posted to rec.sport.rugby.union,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Uncle Dave

On Apr 23, 11:37*am, BrritSki wrote:
Uncle Dave wrote:
"I'm on the train... no, just thought I'd ring and say "hallo"..." and
that in the so-called quiet carriages. * Providing somebody makes a
suitably cheap and discreet jamming device I have nothing against it...

There ya go unc: http://www.globalgadgetuk.com/Personal.htm

I wonder if they interfere with aircraft systems ? *

Yeah, I remember something about those. I didn't think it popped out
of my imagination. You could have loads of fun with one of those
****ing up peoples' oh-so-important business calls :-)

UD
Old April 23rd, 2009, 04:21 PM posted to rec.sport.rugby.union,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Simon S-B

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in message
William Black wrote:

La-a-a-a-a-a-a-mb wrote:

Ryanair considers 'fat tax' for obese air passengers Ryanair may
impose a "fat tax" after more than 30,000 passengers voted to levy
charges on overweight passengers.

Knowing Ryanair it'll be levied on anyone over 50kg...

I flew with Ryanair once. I wouldn't do it again - they're a joke.

Does anyone?

What an absurd question. Patently lots of people fly with them again,
otherwise they wouldn't be so successful. I have never had a problem
flying with them. I find the ads they play on the plane annoying, but I
tune it out. However, when travelling with my partner, as we then need
to pay for check-in (he's got a US passport) that automatically adds
around Ł20 each to the cost of a return ticket alas. They still work out
cheaper than many of their competitors. I have utterly no allegiance to
airlines, and will generally choose the cheapest option. I've not had a
problem with any of the budget airlines I've flown with.

Fly more often - you will.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 05:55 PM posted to rec.sport.rugby.union,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
tim.....

La-a-a-a-a-a-a-mb wrote:

Ryanair considers 'fat tax' for obese air passengers Ryanair may
impose a "fat tax" after more than 30,000 passengers voted to levy
charges on overweight passengers.

Knowing Ryanair it'll be levied on anyone over 50kg...

I flew with Ryanair once. I wouldn't do it again - they're a joke.

Does anyone?

What an absurd question. Patently lots of people fly with them again,
otherwise they wouldn't be so successful. I have never had a problem
flying with them. I find the ads they play on the plane annoying, but I
tune it out. However, when travelling with my partner, as we then need
to pay for check-in (he's got a US passport) that automatically adds
around Ł20 each to the cost of a return ticket alas.

What got me is the price that they charge for checking in at the desk if you
don't pre-pay this fee - 40 pounds!

So, if you don't know before you leave whether you will be able to get
internet access to check in for your return, it will cost you 40 quid each -
ouch!

I don't think I'll be booking a Ryanair flight for longer then the period
require to check in for the return journey before I make the outbound,
whatever anyone else says!

tim