Non-whitewater kayaking/canoeing trip in PA area??

Old August 20th, 2005, 09:39 AM

Default Non-whitewater kayaking/canoeing trip in PA area??

Hi all,

I'm looking to schedule a day-long,
NON-whitewater (family & friends with kids along) kayaking trip
in the central/SW Pennsylvania or nearby West Virginia/MD area.

Basically a "canoe trip", using kayaks. Downstream.

I have an Amtrak-related question about whether we can take
the train back to DC at the end of our trip (see below).

We can camp at beginning and/or end, so more than a day trip,
but probably not more than 40 or so miles from start camp to
end camp, I'm guessing.

Looking for a one day trip (one to two nights camping, with
primarily a day's worth of kayaking imbetween) with good views
of the mountains, and nearby sights to see (presumably via car)
in the vicinity of the start or end point.

I have been to the area before but I don't know where the
preferred spots are for safe non-whitewater canoeing and kayaking.

What are the best spots for this?

I am thinking of the following ideas:

1. If we do a kayaking trip in either SW PA -or- the upper Potomac,
is it possible t o take the train back to Washington DC, where
folks will be staying? Where does the Capitol Limited stop,
and what's the schedule like? Would the cost of a short-hop
be impractical if we booked now in advance? This would be
mid-Labor Day weekend (like Sunday). I figure MARC is not an option.

Maybe this option is impractical unless our trip ends in Harpers
Ferry, or unless we get a ride from the boat rental at the end of
our trip?

2. Is the Monongahela river anywhere between Morgantown (?) WV into
southwestern Pennsylvania a good spot for a NON-whitewater trip?
What about the Casselman River? Any other options nearby?

This would allow us to visit Ohiopyle as a dry-land destination
towards the end of our trip (view the rapids from the trail, see
Fallingwater and the gorge, etc.)

Which I'd really love to do,
having been there before (and having run the rapids, which I
can't do this time, since we'll have friends & their grand kids
who have n ot been to the area),

but it would probably be dependent on available NON-whitewater
in the area. Any other good bets for canoeing or sightseeing
in the Monongahela area?

3. Is the Potomac north of Harpers Ferry a good bet? This would
allow sight seeing in Harpers Ferry. I know that canoeing FROM
Harpers Ferry as far south as Monocacy is an excellent trip,
since I did it in the scouts once. Although I think that is
almost an overnight trip for a family outing... How rough is
the Potomac above Harpers? Perhaps we could put in around
the Shepherdstown area and head south to Harpers Ferry?

4. What about the Susquehanna river valley in the vicinity of
Jamestown or Wilkes-Barre or (whatever the heck is up there)?

I h ave been there once, on a spelunking trip to visit Jamestown
which has a cool pair of museums but probably not too exciting
to someone's grandkid. How is the canoeing/kayaking on the
Susquehanna there? Anything else to see?

I heard there was major flooding in the Delaware Water Gap area
which struck that off the list because available campgrounds were
knocked out. Did this affect the Susquehanna, et al?

Keep in mind I'm looking to schedule an itinerary with what works
out to be a bout a day's worth of downstream kayaking -- nothing too
energetic since it'll basically be a family outing. Looking for
scenery and proximity to sites for a day-trip outing at the beginning
or end of the trip, like Harpers Ferry, or Ohiopyle.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

-- Brian

Old August 20th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Access Systems

In misc.transport.rail.americas Shawn Hirn wrote:
wrote:

I'm looking to schedule a day-long,
NON-whitewater (family & friends with kids along) kayaking trip
in the central/SW Pennsylvania or nearby West Virginia/MD area.

Basically a "canoe trip", using kayaks. Downstream.

the Paw Paw WV/Hancock MD stretch of the Patomac river is ideal for what
you want, but that is a weekend type trip. great train watching since the
CSX parrallels the route. if you have wheels the stretch from Paw Paw to
Little Orleans is one day and about as beautiful as you can get, there is
not a single road in that entire stretch

I have an Amtrak-related question about whether we can take
the train back to DC at the end of our trip (see below).

so and the reason is that the only train to DC in that area is the Capitol
Limited and it runs early in the morning towards DC. now on a weekday
there are a number of outfitters in the Harpers Ferry area that could set
you up with a trip on the Shanendoah river but these would be "rump
bump" trips (tube/raft) not Kayak trips.

but you could grab a MARC commuter train in either Harpers Ferry or
Brunswick to get into DC. not to mention just stay at the Hilltop House
in Harpers Ferry watch the trains all evening and catch a morning MARC
into DC at the bottom of the hill.

Have fun but remember at this time of year river levels fluctuate wildly
and the Potomac especially the lower Potomac can be very wild with fast
water and lots of Rocks. (I believe Great Falls is a class 5 rapid)

nice area to kayak/canoe. and to train watch.

Bob
canoist/train buff/transportation Engineer

--
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++
CONFIGURE YOUR E-MAIL TO SEND TEXT ONLY, see

safety deserve Neither liberty nor safety", Benjamin Franklin
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
ASCII Ribbon Campaign accessBob
NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail
NO MSWord docs in e-mail Access Systems, engineers
NO attachments in e-mail, *LINUX powered* access is a civil right
*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*# *#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#
privileged. They are intended ONLY for the individual or entity named

Old August 20th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Joe Pylka

I am thinking of the following ideas:
3. Is the Potomac north of Harpers Ferry a good bet? This would
allow sight seeing in Harpers Ferry.

There is much quiet water and good paddling above Harpers Ferry but be
aware that the last coupla miles (the Needles section) is lightweight class
2 but generally runnable. However, a definite rebar hazard from a broken
dam at its beginning is something to be avoided. You can take out before it
at Dargan Bend on the MD. There are also primitive campsites here and there
along the C&O canal which parallels the river.

I know that canoeing FROM
Harpers Ferry as far south as Monocacy is an excellent trip,
since I did it in the scouts once. Although I think that is
almost an overnight trip for a family outing... How rough is
the Potomac above Harpers? Perhaps we could put in around
the Shepherdstown area and head south to Harpers Ferry?

You would have to put in either at Dargan Bend as above, or else above
Harpers Ferry on the Shenandoah. In either case you will have whitewater --
and in the stretch below the Potomac you have a couple of not-for-beginners
rapids. You can, however, put in at the Potoma Wayside at the lower 360
bridge and get a nice run down to Brunswick for a shorter daytrip or further
on down to Point of Rocks.

4. What about the Susquehanna river valley in the vicinity of
Jamestown or Wilkes-Barre or (whatever the heck is up there)?

Very quiet (mostly) and scenic area up around Wilkes-Barre. There's a
PA Water Trail listing for that stretch. I don't have the url to hand but
check through the Pennsylvania DCNR websites for the water trail program.
There is much information up there. Look into the portions of the river
above Harrisburg.

Joe P.

Old August 20th, 2005, 10:51 PM
John Fereira

Shawn Hirn wrote in news:srhi-6244A0.08520820082005
@news.giganews.com:

In article .com,
wrote:

Hi all,

I'm looking to schedule a day-long,
NON-whitewater (family & friends with kids along) kayaking trip
in the central/SW Pennsylvania or nearby West Virginia/MD area.

Basically a "canoe trip", using kayaks. Downstream.

I have an Amtrak-related question about whether we can take the train
back to DC at the end of our trip (see below).

Why not chip in to rent an SUV? That would probably be cheaper per
person than AMTRAK and offer you considerably more flexibility.

www.amtrak.com would tell just how much it would cost and if there was an
available route.

As for a recommendation on where to go kayaking, I suggest you post your
question on one of the outdoors groups and in pa.general.

I'd suggest looking at the Moncacy Canoe Club web site and specificly their
Ranked list of rivers page: http://www.monocacycanoe.org/

I'm also a but confused about the reference to Ohiopyle. Ohiopyle is
actually the name of the town and the river is the Youghieneny (sp?). It's
on the other side of the state from the rest of the locations.

For a casual downriver trip in sea kayaks you'll probably want to limit it
to anything rated class I. A class I with a couple short class II sections
would be doable as well but inexperienced paddles on rivers that are more
continous class II are going to be in for a long day.
Old August 21st, 2005, 12:41 AM
Access Systems

In misc.transport.rail.americas Joe Pylka wrote:
I am thinking of the following ideas:
3. Is the Potomac north of Harpers Ferry a good bet? This would
allow sight seeing in Harpers Ferry.

There is much quiet water and good paddling above Harpers Ferry but be
aware that the last coupla miles (the Needles section) is lightweight class
2 but generally runnable. However, a definite rebar hazard from a broken
dam at its beginning is something to be avoided. You can take out before it

have to agree, and that busted dam can sneak up on you even when you know
it is there.

at Dargan Bend on the MD. There are also primitive campsites here and there
along the C&O canal which parallels the river.

they are Hiker/biker overnights about ever 3-5 miles. get the guide book
from the Boy Scouts or the C & O Canal trail NPS site, and I think the
Appalacin trail council office in Harpers ferry may have the book.

I know that canoeing FROM
Harpers Ferry as far south as Monocacy is an excellent trip,

also the Monocacy from old route 40 to the mouth is a nice day trip just
check the gage as water level on the monocacy can fluctuate from day to
day, but unless the water is high it is very much a level I river and a
nice 4-5 hour day trip nice put in's at both ends.

lead a church canoe trip there year before last and that is a real
beginner trip. but it is pretty and there is some rail activity

since I did it in the scouts once. Although I think that is
almost an overnight trip for a family outing... How rough is
the Potomac above Harpers? Perhaps we could put in around
the Shepherdstown area and head south to Harpers Ferry?

Shepherdstown to Harpers Ferry would be a long day. also there is a dam
or two in there. been a long time since I did that stretch.

Old August 22nd, 2005, 03:46 AM
FLiP

Brian
We have just returned from a weekend of camping 2 nights 1 day canoeing
on the Shenandoah River out of Luray VA. Started on the river around 9:30
got out around 3:00. This was a family trip with the youngest 10 years old
and the oldest was 65 years old. We rented 8 canoes from Shenandoah River
Outfitters. We opted for just the canoes but if you want you can do the
Steak and Canoe, canoe rental, lunch on the river and diner at their
facilities. They also rent kayaks, matter of fact saw several families
kayaking with young ones, about 10 or 11.
We stayed over on US 340 2 miles north of Luray at Country Waye camp
ground. Fabulous camp ground with a great view of 2 mountain ranges. As to
views above ground you have the Skyline Drive and for underground views
nearby are the Luray Caverns. If you prefer none formal camping the
outfitters have a tent camping area in the trees behind their office. By the
way it is better than it sounds.
Luray is located 1 1/2 to 2 hours west of Washington D.C. via I66 to
Front Royal VA. and then south on US 340.

Regardless of where you go be sure to call in advance for the river
conditions.

Hope this helps.

Frank

Old August 23rd, 2005, 01:08 AM
No Spam

Middle Yough might be Ok but it is not completly flat water either. I
just did it in a Rubber Ducky a few weeks ago and at the lower water
levels it was showing plenty of riffles including one 2 ft drop. While
very easy in a ducky it might not be in a sea kayak. If you really want
a canoe trip by kayak you can put in lower on the Yough near
Connelsville and run a nice easy 11 miles to Perryopolis. I have made
this run many times in both canoe and kayak with many beginners and
kids. I use this guy for rentals and sometimes just for the shuttle. He
also runs to another put-in that gives you an 8 mile trip. He has
camping on-site also. Rents canoes and rec kayaks.
http://www.hazelbakerscanoes.com/index.html

Don't miss the rope swing river right when the river widens and deepens.

This puts you an easy 30-40 min from Ohiopyle for a visit by car.

Amtrak runs to nearby Greensburg - I don't think they stop in
Connelsville but you can ask.

Ken

Johnny Thunder wrote:
Shawn Hirn wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:

Hi all,

I'm looking to schedule a day-long,
NON-whitewater (family & friends with kids along) kayaking trip
in the central/SW Pennsylvania or nearby West Virginia/MD area.

Basically a "canoe trip", using kayaks. Downstream.

I have an Amtrak-related question about whether we can take
the train back to DC at the end of our trip (see below).

Why not chip in to rent an SUV? That would probably be cheaper per
person than AMTRAK and offer you considerably more flexibility.

As for a recommendation on where to go kayaking, I suggest you post your
question on one of the outdoors groups and in pa.general.

Middle Yough?

http://www.laurelhighlands.com/river...ddleyough.html

JAM