Recommendations - the perfect climate?

Old May 10th, 2004, 12:49 AM
Cathy Kearns

Default Recommendations - the perfect climate?

My Geology 10 professor, (Study of earthquakes and other natural
disasters) claimed right there, Davis, California, was the safest spot
in the US when it came to danger of hurricanes, volcanic activity,
earthquakes, tsunamis, tornados and sink holes. Not real bad weather
either.

"strawberry icecream" wrote in message
I was wondering where in the world posters would recommend for the perfect
climate?

This would also include having little danger of hurricanes, volcanic
activity, earthquakes, etc.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Old May 12th, 2004, 12:58 AM
Howie

Cathy Kearns wrote:

My Geology 10 professor, (Study of earthquakes and other natural
disasters) claimed right there, Davis, California, was the safest spot
in the US when it came to danger of hurricanes, volcanic activity,
earthquakes, tsunamis, tornados and sink holes. Not real bad weather
either.

Doesn't it get real hot in Davis, Kathy?

Old May 12th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Mason Barge

On Mon, 10 May 2004 00:19:48 GMT, strawberry icecream
wrote:

"Cathy Kearns" wrote in news:3sznc.65589$Qu.54350
:

My Geology 10 professor, (Study of earthquakes and other natural
disasters) claimed right there, Davis, California, was the safest spot
in the US when it came to danger of hurricanes, volcanic activity,
earthquakes, tsunamis, tornados and sink holes. Not real bad weather
either.

I really think Kansas would be safer for tsunamis and Idaho safer for
hurricanes. California also has problems with mudslides. And
earthquakes? Gimme a break.

Mason Barge

"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea. If this is tea, please bring me some coffee."
-- Abraham Lincoln
Old May 12th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Cathy Kearns

"Mason Barge" wrote in message
On Mon, 10 May 2004 00:19:48 GMT, strawberry icecream
wrote:

"Cathy Kearns" wrote in

:

My Geology 10 professor, (Study of earthquakes and other natural
disasters) claimed right there, Davis, California, was the safest spot
in the US when it came to danger of hurricanes, volcanic activity,
earthquakes, tsunamis, tornados and sink holes. Not real bad weather
either.

I really think Kansas would be safer for tsunamis and Idaho safer for
hurricanes. California also has problems with mudslides. And
earthquakes? Gimme a break.

I think he was going for place with no natural disasters, not
fewer. Davis is far enough from any faults to be at low risk
from earthquakes, and is flat as a pancake, so mudslides
would be impossible. In Kansas I believe he was concerned
about tornado and dust storms. I don't remember what the
Idaho concerns were. Did you know the biggest earthquake
in the continental US were the New Madrid quakes in 1811-1812,
along the Missouri/Arkansas/Tennessee border. The worry
about the New Madrid fault is that cities in that area have not
put into place building codes like those found in Los Angeles
or the San Francisco area. There are worries Memphis
would all become rubble.

That said, I don't live in Davis. The summers are too warm
for me (90-100F, but dry heat) and the winters too cold
(high 40sF, but no snow.) I'm willing to risk earthquakes
(in a one story house completely remodeled for seismic
strengthening) for better weather. I've grown up with
earthquakes, and they don't scare me. But you never know,
a tornado touched down a few blocks from here about 8
years ago. First one in this small town's history.

Old May 12th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Cruising Chrissy

On Wed, 12 May 2004 14:47:15 GMT, "Cathy Kearns"
wrote:

Did you know the biggest earthquake
in the continental US were the New Madrid quakes in 1811-1812,
along the Missouri/Arkansas/Tennessee border. The worry
about the New Madrid fault is that cities in that area have not
put into place building codes like those found in Los Angeles
or the San Francisco area. There are worries Memphis
would all become rubble.

having been a part of the development/construction management of one
of Memphis' tallest structures (and its newest), I can personally tell
you that those considerations (earthquake protection etc) were never
given any serious thought either by the insurers or
architect/engineers.

Yes, Memphis downtown will fall on itself most assuredly.

Note I live in Atlanta now.
Old May 12th, 2004, 10:20 PM
Mason Barge

wrote:

Did you know the biggest earthquake
in the continental US were the New Madrid quakes in 1811-1812,
along the Missouri/Arkansas/Tennessee border. The worry
about the New Madrid fault is that cities in that area have not
put into place building codes like those found in Los Angeles
or the San Francisco area. There are worries Memphis
would all become rubble.

having been a part of the development/construction management of one
of Memphis' tallest structures (and its newest), I can personally tell
you that those considerations (earthquake protection etc) were never
given any serious thought either by the insurers or
architect/engineers.

Yes, Memphis downtown will fall on itself most assuredly.

Note I live in Atlanta now.

There was an earthquake in Atlanta about 6 months ago, LOL!

It freaked a lot of people out, who had no idea what was happening.

Old May 12th, 2004, 11:05 PM
Linsifer

And, earthquakes are always portrayed differently than they really are, such as
in that movie on tv last week: "10.5."
I DON'T THINK SO. grin

Lindsay

Old May 13th, 2004, 04:53 AM
Cruising Chrissy

On Wed, 12 May 2004 17:20:44 -0400, Mason Barge
wrote:

Yes, Memphis downtown will fall on itself most assuredly.

Note I live in Atlanta now.

There was an earthquake in Atlanta about 6 months ago, LOL!

It freaked a lot of people out, who had no idea what was happening.

You ought to have read the "horror" stories.

"My body is shaking because it was so frightening," said Susan Martin
of Marietta, an Atlanta suburb. "The shaking of my bed and the shaking
of my house woke me out of a dead sleep."

"A few trailers shook out their foundations..my beer busted on the
floor..was I ****ed or what?"

"First I thought it was thunder. My house was shaking for 1 or 2
seconds. I was quick to get up and see if it was a tornado. .. I went
to the window, but heard no wind and no rain. .. I called 911 and they
asked me, 'Are you calling about the earthquake? I said YES! they
said. shut up and go back to sleep."

"We've had 5 or 6 calls of people saying the tremors knocked pictures
off walls, and a couple said their windows were cracked," said Herbert
Dodd, head of emergency services in Chattooga County, Georgia. "It was
a travesty no doubt about it.".

I lived in the desert in California. This "earthquake" didn't even
wake me up.