I-5 in California is dreary and awful

Old January 2nd, 2007, 01:20 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,ba.transportation
Calif Bill

Default I-5 in California is dreary and awful

"Richard Fangnail" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is I-5 devoid of sights by design? If there were interesting sights
and family places, traffic would be slower. Is that why there is
nothing on it except gas stations, rest stops and drizzly weather?

Also depends on which section of I-5 you travel. You realize it also goes
to the Oregon border in California. I-5 is the quickest, not the prettiest,
but quicker than the others. US 101 is prettier, and not much longer
distance and time wise. Unless you are trying to get to I-405 intersection
near any commute time. Best then to cut off and head over to Highway 1. We
travel down to SoCal maybe 10 times a year, and have used all the roads. We
still go I-5 for time.

Old January 2nd, 2007, 03:51 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,ba.transportation
David Kaye

Richard Fangnail wrote:
Is I-5 devoid of sights by design?

Unlike other freeways, I-5 was built in the middle of nowhere because
it was the quickest path between two points. If you want to see
something, take highway 99, the road that was built where the people
and the buildings are.

Old January 2nd, 2007, 04:54 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,ba.transportation
George Grapman

You want dreary, try I-80 in Nebraska

--
To reply via e-mail please delete 1 c from paccbell
Old January 2nd, 2007, 05:17 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,ba.transportation
John Clear

In article ,
George Grapman wrote:
You want dreary, try I-80 in Nebraska

I see your I-80 across Nebraska, and raise you I-70 across Kansas.

I've driven both, and I-70 in Kansas is even more nothing.

I-5 in the central valley is full of interesting things and is in
civilization compared to either of the two above stretches of road.

John
--
John Clear - http://www.clear-prop.org/

Old January 2nd, 2007, 05:41 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,ba.transportation
Rog'

"John Clear" wrote:
I see your I-80 across Nebraska, and raise you I-70 across Kansas.
I've driven both, and I-70 in Kansas is even more nothing.

Is there any question as to why Dorothy dreamt of
being somewhere over the rainbow rather than in Kansas?

Old January 2nd, 2007, 06:48 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,ba.transportation
[email protected]

David Kaye wrote:
Richard Fangnail wrote:
Is I-5 devoid of sights by design?

Unlike other freeways, I-5 was built in the middle of nowhere because it was the quickest
path between two points. If you want to see something, take highway 99, the road that
was built where the people and the buildings are.

It always seemed to me that much of I-5 through the Central Valley was
built as a service road for the California Aqueduct. The Aqueduct may
not be much to look at on its own, but imagine how much worse the rest
would be without it!

Old January 2nd, 2007, 04:42 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,ba.transportation
Ernie Klein

In article ,
Hatunen wrote:

On 1 Jan 2007 10:00:31 -0800, "Richard Fangnail"
wrote:

Is I-5 devoid of sights by design? If there were interesting sights
and family places, traffic would be slower. Is that why there is
nothing on it except gas stations, rest stops and drizzly weather?

What? You didn't think the huge cattle feed lot was visually
interesting?

It was more than just "visually" interesting on Saturday with the breeze
blowing toward the highway.

--
-Ernie-
Old January 2nd, 2007, 05:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,ba.transportation
kkt

George Grapman writes:

You want dreary, try I-80 in Nebraska

Been there, done that. Wyoming was a beautiful, though.

-- Patrick